Android phone recommendations

S

stupar

So for the last 3 years I have been using a Sony ZX Premium phone and its, been great.

The battery is starting to show signs of not holding charge as well and it is no long receiving security updates either.

With this in mind I think it's time to get a new phone.

I'm not fussed for flagship phones anymore so was thinking of something in between entry level and flagship.
Keen to hear from anyone currently running such type of phone and what your thoughts are on it.

So for the last 3 years I have been using a Sony ZX Premium phone and its, been great.

The battery is starting to show signs of not holding charge as well and it is no long receiving security updates either.

I'm not fussed for flagship phones anymore so was thinking of something in between entry level and flagship.
Keen to hear from anyone currently running such type of phone and what your thoughts are on it.
You can always look at last year's flagships for something equal in price to a current midranger but with better performance. The OnePlus Nord looks decent for the money but if you can still find them in stock you can get a OnePlus 7T for slightly cheaper and it's a better phone.

The Pixel 4a looks great for the money when it releases soon if you want something very bare bones with good software support.

When you say "flagship" phone, what defines that for you.... Is it price ? and if so how much ?

You can always look at last year's flagships for something equal in price to a current midranger but with better performance. The OnePlus Nord looks decent for the money but if you can still find them in stock you can get a OnePlus 7T for slightly cheaper and it's a better phone.

The Pixel 4a looks great for the money when it releases soon if you want something very bare bones with good software support.
Cheers for that, will have a look at these.

When you say "flagship" phone, what defines that for you.... Is it price ? and if so how much ?
By flagship I pretty much mean the top of the range from that manufacturer (at this given time) so cost and spec will equally factor into that term.

I don't want to spend a fortune and I'm no longer someone who chases the best specs possible.

Basically I don't need lots of pixels, cores or RAM etc

This Xiaomi Note 5 is almost 2 years old now, still getting security updates. Last week in Greece it was doing a couple of hours satnav, several hours reading screen at max and a bit of browsing and the battery would last all day. As a lower midrange phone performance is still very adequate, even now. Camera is ok (see my pics in the Pics you took today thread).

When it needs replacing then I'll look at another from the same company. Perhaps a Poco or an upper mid, mid-range Mi series.

By flagship I pretty much mean the top of the range from that manufacturer (at this given time) so cost and spec will equally factor into that term.

I don't want to spend a fortune and I'm no longer someone who chases the best specs possible.

Basically I don't need lots of pixels, cores or RAM etc

I don't know how important the camera performance is to you but having just upgraded my phone specifically to have a better phone camera, I considered the following....

Google Pixel 3a.... £279
Google Pixel 4a.... £349

I expect these two are still excellent phones especially when considering the price.

Huawei P30 Pro slightly higher price (£600)...and which does have google playstore etc.....but because it isn't their flagship anymore is much less than Samsung Galaxy S20/S20 Plus/Ultra etc. which are another step up in price at £800-£1100.

I've just been shopping around and got a bit of a feel for what to watch out for:
  • It seems 3Gb + 32Gb is acceptable. But the nicer 4Gb + 64Gb can be had for not much more money in some cases.
  • Release date in 2019 with Android 9 is acceptable. But 2020 and Android 10 is better if you can get it.
  • You can get these specs in the £120-200 range if you shop around. Naturally, anything above these specs will be all the better
  • https://www.gsmarena.com has an easy Compare feature.

Last edited:

For a while now i`ve been running the Huawei P2019 smart (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-6-21-Inch-FullView-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B07L5H9RTF) and am happy with it, for my requirements. Bought one not so long ago for my daughter, and she loves it.
Battery is very good (y)

If the Pixels are anything like the version 2, stay clear. A Motorola 100 quid jobby runs better and the screens are tougher.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input so far folks.
This gives me some things to look into and consider.

Another long term Xiaomi user here - never had any problems, and there is still some sort of pride of ownership in having a phone that costs waay less than flagships for similar performance..
Current Note 7 must be around 20 months old, has survived a couple of drops and is all the phone I need. Battery lasts me close to 2 days, but I am a fairly light user

Dont discount iPhones purely cost, especially when you consider cost per year that the phone is still supported by OS and security updates.
My last phone (iPhone 5s) was launched in 2013, had OS updates for 5 years and is still receiving security updates 7 years later. I don't think many Android devices get more than two or three years.
My current phone (XR) cost me £28 per month for 24 months with a decent allowance (100gb data, unlimited calls and texts). If you estimate that the network costs were between £15 and £20 per month, that means the phone itself cost between £200 and £300 which is a bargain for a phone that should last 5 years of OS upgrades and even longer with security upgrades.
But there are many reasons that you may prefer Android to iOS - I'm not such a fanboy that other people cannot have their own opinions!

After years of premium phones, when my last Note was exhausted a few years ago I decided that my one overriding need was battery life. I (usually) have a 3 hour commute, listening to music, plus quite a lot of screen time, and I was tired of having to keep phones on charge through the day just to get home. At the time the best in this area was the Motorola Moto G6 Play, which I bought, and almost 3 years later it's performance is still excellent, as if it was new. There's nothing about it that annoys me, processing is easily fast enough for all I do (I'm nor a hardcore 3D gamer), the display is really nice, and it feels well made. It hasn't given me a moments concern. The camera is fine in decent light (but that's not particularly important to me as I always have a camera in my bag), and video is fine... It cost me 150 quid new IIRC.

About a year later, the Mrs suffered a dying phone and she bought the then current Moto G7 based on my experience, It cost about the same I believe. Her camera is considerably better than mine, much more full featured, but in all other respects it's pretty similar, again, not one problem or annoyance.

I think they're up to the G8 now, and there looks to be a 64GB mega battery variation for £180 at John Lewis. If mine died tomorrow (which is unlikely), that would be the first model I'd look at based on my priorities and experience with my current phone.

Dont discount iPhones purely cost, especially when you consider cost per year that the phone is still supported by OS and security updates.
My last phone (iPhone 5s) was launched in 2013, had OS updates for 5 years and is still receiving security updates 7 years later. I don't think many Android devices get more than two or three years.
My current phone (XR) cost me £28 per month for 24 months with a decent allowance (100gb data, unlimited calls and texts). If you estimate that the network costs were between £15 and £20 per month, that means the phone itself cost between £200 and £300 which is a bargain for a phone that should last 5 years of OS upgrades and even longer with security upgrades.
But there are many reasons that you may prefer Android to iOS - I'm not such a fanboy that other people cannot have their own opinions!

fair points for sure, i think the thing is though very few people want to keep their phones for 5 years, like me
my current xiomi note 8 pro cost £155 and i will keep it for 2 years and sell it on ebay for say £70 thats two years for say £90 for a top spec phone,
i will then buy the note 16 pro etc and repeat also the thing i would say is i have poor close vision eyesight do have a very large screen phone now.
whats a 6.3" apple phone cost?

That's the same as my phone which I've had for a long time. Great phone, every works all the time. Had flagship Samsung phones in the past which would have gyroscopic sensor issues, GPS issues etc and their screens are very expensive to fix, although very nice. My son has a Red 6 which is pretty good.

But I'll probably look for another Sony when the time comes.

Had a look at Xiomi last night and they seem good bang for buck and certainly the Poco X3 looks really nice.

To address the cost front, I don't really want to spend any more than a couple of hundred.
Im fussed for spending 2 to 3x that amount.

I have nothing against Apple, I've just been with Android since version 2.1 and I like the Android setup.

I have a samsung A71, it is a really good phone.

6gb ram, 128gb storage, standard, wide and macro cameras, only use less that 50% of the battery each day. Android 10 and a nice big screen.

If I lost it now I would replace with another one.

Had a look at Xiomi last night and they seem good bang for buck and certainly the Poco X3 looks really nice.

To address the cost front, I don't really want to spend any more than a couple of hundred.
Im fussed for spending 2 to 3x that amount.

I have nothing against Apple, I've just been with Android since version 2.1 and I like the Android setup.

The one thing that might tempt me away from Android is screen sizes - I would just prefer a smaller screen and overall smaller physical size for a *phone*. My old Motorola RAZRi was perfect at 4.7", and the Lumia 640 after it was OK but rather large at over 5". The present Note 5 has a 6" screen, and while it's great to read, the phone is far from comfortably pocketable in a front pocket.

Followed the recommendation from @SFTPhotography and bought the Samsung M31 from Amazon.
Saved myself £50 into the bargain getting it in their prime deals yesterday.
It's a lot of phone for just £200

Thanks everyone for your input (y)

Followed the recommendation from @SFTPhotography and bought the Samsung M31 from Amazon.

Bloody H - what a mega mega bargain. I simply love mine and would buy again in a heart beat if it were stolen/broken by me etc. It's a marvellous device for the money. Buy a reasonable case/screen protector and it is plenty robust also. My only advice is to turn the screen settings to natural from the default option that Samsung apply of vivid. The screen is great but Samsung's operate in weird and vivid screen profiles.

Bloody H - what a mega mega bargain. I simply love mine and would buy again in a heart beat if it were stolen/broken by me etc. It's a marvellous device for the money. Buy a reasonable case/screen protector and it is plenty robust also. My only advice is to turn the screen settings to natural from the default option that Samsung apply of vivid. The screen is great but Samsung's operate in weird and vivid screen profiles.
Got myself a nice Spigen case for it so it feels more secure in my hands.
Yeah screen is already on natural.......looks much better!

it does look a very good phone, i suspect samsung are testing the water.
i read the other day that people are now getting wise to 24month contract phone rip off deals and now keep their phones for up to 48 months

it does look a very good phone, i suspect samsung are testing the water.
i read the other day that people are now getting wise to 24month contract phone rip off deals and now keep their phones for up to 48 months
I don't like being tied to long contracts anymore.
The phone was dirt cheap and my sim is a monthly contract at £12.50 p/m

It works out a loth cheaper than the average 24 x £30 p/m

same her mate my SIM is £10.month now i was on EE at £10 with 4Gb/unlim/unlim but i pacced to plusnet which use EE for £10 a month with 10gb/unlim/unlim.

same her mate my SIM is £10.month now i was on EE at £10 with 4Gb/unlim/unlim but i pacced to plusnet which use EE for £10 a month with 10gb/unlim/unlim.
Thats a good deal indeed. Always pays to shop around.
I pacced from O2. I'm now working on my wife to try and convince her to give up her £50 a month (24 month) contract when her renewal is up early next year.

Thats a good deal indeed. Always pays to shop around.
I pacced from O2. I'm now working on my wife to try and convince her to give up her £50 a month (24 month) contract when her renewal is up early next year.

ooof £50/month yikes !

my wife is real easy when it comes to phones i just buy her new ones and pay the bill :)

we now have matching xiomi note 8 pros and the same sim contracts with plusnet

i sort of reckon the phone cost £150 divide that by 24 months is £6.25p a month for the phone for two years and it should still be worth £50 on ebay then so it works out at £4.10p a month for a very high spec phone indeed.
add on the SIM only cost and we are not even at £15 a month

I'm 50p a month more than you.

But 100% with you sim plus mid range handset works well.

For those looking for a rugged smart phone I'm encouraged by the Samsung XPRo range. Interchangeable batteries and all. Bit pricey though

I've only now stopped using my Xiaomi Mi6, thats a phone from 2017 and was still getting updates, still fast, great camera etc....

Highly recommend looking at the Xiaomi range, there's a lot of choice depending on your budget and screen-size requirements

I've only now stopped using my Xiaomi Mi6, thats a phone from 2017 and was still getting updates, still fast, great camera etc....

Highly recommend looking at the Xiaomi range, there's a lot of choice depending on your budget and screen-size requirements
I've heard good things about Xiaomi, but they only do big phones. Nothing sub 145mm in the last 2 years. So no good to me.

I've heard good things about Xiaomi, but they only do big phones. Nothing sub 145mm in the last 2 years. So no good to me.

It's their weakness at the moment. I first bought a 4X (5.7" screen) then moved to a Note 5 with 6" screen. TBH that's as large as I want, and would prefer something smaller.

It's their weakness at the moment. I first bought a 4X (5.7" screen) then moved to a Note 5 with 6" screen. TBH that's as large as I want, and would prefer something smaller.
My current phone, a Samsung S10e has a 5.8" screen, but it's super-thin bezels means it's only 142.2mm high. Which is acceptable in the pocket.

Back