Android Update Grrrrrrrr!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Just up-dated my HTC Wildfire to the latest 2.2 Android OS

All went well except now my phone does not like my Belkin router that I have at home and refuses to connect to it.

It used to connect to it just fine before the update but now it just doesn't want to know, I Have tried all the usual tricks of resetting the router & phone etc. but to no avail - Have also searched the net but not come up with an answer.

The phone still connects to other wireless networks just fine, just not my home one via my Belkin router.

Anyone have and ideas/suggestions for a possible fix?

Apparently there are some really good android apps now.,.

Does it see your router?

If so try connecting, with no security.

thats really strange.
I have froyo and belkin router and have no problems with it ....
first of all, does your mobile see the network at all ?

It see the wifi network, tries to connect to it but fails every time for some reason.

I Have re-set both the router and phone but to no avail.

It can connect to other networks just fine.

Also I have gone form having a full provider signal to having none most of the time.

I am not a happy bunny with this updown grade.

Does anyone know if it is possible to roll back the Android OS to an earlier version?

A lot of Android forums do suggest a full backup and reset of the phone after doing the 2.2 update. No problems with my Belkin before and after update but I did do a full reset afterwards so couldn't say what it was like if I didn't do so.
Do you use MAC address filtering on your router's wifi access?

Last edited:
Yup tried all that but to no avail

People with similar problems with the 2.2 upgrade are starting to show up on various Android forums.

No problems with my Desire after the upgrade..... If you can see the wifi network it could be the security.... I take it you've re-inserted the WPA/WPA2 key? Sure you have but just checking.... seems odd.

Yup done all that

Just wish I could roll back to my previous Android OS

Anyone know of a reliable way to do this?

maybe speak to your mobile network provider.. unless you "jailbroke" your phone they would have approved the update before releasing.

Hi Neil,

I got the phone SIM free direct from HTC via Amazon.

HTC issued the update for the Wildfire over that last few days.

Phone is not jailbroken but am seriously considering it so I can roll back to my previous OS

try and change your security settings, I had to change from WEP to WPA when installing my airport express, might be something similar.. worth a shot.. I run a desire with 2.2 and a belkin with no problems..

Have you tried a hard reset?

Have you checked your Belkin DHCP client list to see if your Wildfire has been assigned an IP address or are you able to manually set an IP address, DNS and gateway on your phone?

The good thing about Amazon is their returns policy, never had a problem with them, and official firmware upgrades are part of what I would call normal maintenance - a lot of support sites always suggest updates and a lot won't entertain providing support unless you're up to date with firmware.

try and change your security settings, I had to change from WEP to WPA when installing my airport express, might be something similar.. worth a shot.. I run a desire with 2.2 and a belkin with no problems..

Tried that and to no avail, also I have a Wildfire not a Desire

Have you tried a hard reset?

Yes tried that

Have you checked your Belkin DHCP client list to see if your Wildfire has been assigned an IP address or are you able to manually set an IP address, DNS and gateway on your phone?

The good thing about Amazon is their returns policy, never had a problem with them, and official firmware upgrades are part of what I would call normal maintenance - a lot of support sites always suggest updates and a lot won't entertain providing support unless you're up to date with firmware.

Yes the wildfire shows up as being assigned an IP address in the router but for some reason the phone just doesn't accept it or connect.

Amazon are only good with returns if you are within 30 days of your purchase after that they are dogs to deal with

I've never had any issues with Amazon even after the 30 day returns.... Try contacting the manufacturer HTC and see if they can resolve..

so do you get the little wireless icon on the phone?

im wondering if its something simple like DNS settings on the router that the phone doesnt like..

HI Niel,

Nope didn't get the little icon, it says it is acquiring an IP address and then fails to connect

Did the operator provide the phone? Should be a simple one to fix or replace although might take a few weeks.

The flash unit on my desire has not been working and I'm just waiting for the new year to get my phone in for a repair.

interesting didnt have any issues with skys dlink router.. are you using WEP or WPA?

I have given up trying to get my Wildfire and Belkin router to talk to each other.

It is a strange one for sure, my wildfire will connect to any other wifi network just not my home one using my Belkin router.

So I am thinking of buying a new router to replace my Belkin.

I was thinking of getting a DLink router as I have had one in the past, any comments or suggestions on this?

You never did reply to my earlier post suggesting you try connecting to the router with no security settings?

You never did reply to my earlier post suggesting you try connecting to the router with no security settings?

Sorry Mike, thought I had answered everybody.

Yes I have tried with security turned off, no joy though

In that case, I can't argue against a new router but it would be better if you could borrow one and try it, before splurging the cash!

Well I guess it was my Belkin router that didn't like my phone for some reason.

Bought a new Netgear router, set up the wireless and my phone connected first time of asking with no problems.

Many thanks to everyone for there suggestions and help, it is very much appreciated

Well I guess it was my Belkin router that didn't like my phone for some reason.

Bought a new Netgear router, set up the wireless and my phone connected first time of asking with no problems.

Many thanks to everyone for there suggestions and help, it is very much appreciated

My Belkin router suddennly stopped working a few weeks ago and I replaced it with a Cisco made by Linksys. I've since bought a sim free HTC Desire HD and it connects to the router very quickly with no issues at all, even after doing the 2.2 upgrade.

Glad you got it sorted - these issues can be really annoying..

I have to say my Belkin router was almost 6 years old so it had served me well

Back