Andromeda Galaxy

Not bad Paul, some nice detail in the dust lanes, and the core doesn't look burnt out... You've got some star trailling there, but I'm guessing you were pushing the sub length to get as much detail as possible. I'd guess you're not guiding... not sure on the load limit on the EQ5, but I think that scope and a guidescope might push it over the limit. It might also be worth looking at a Coma Corrector, I've heard that newts suffer from coma... the Baader MPCC seems to be the weapon of choice.

What are the details ?? subs, sub length, ISO etc ??

Not bad Paul, some nice detail in the dust lanes, and the core doesn't look burnt out... You've got some star trailling there, but I'm guessing you were pushing the sub length to get as much detail as possible. I'd guess you're not guiding... not sure on the load limit on the EQ5, but I think that scope and a guidescope might push it over the limit. It might also be worth looking at a Coma Corrector, I've heard that newts suffer from coma... the Baader MPCC seems to be the weapon of choice.

What are the details ?? subs, sub length, ISO etc ??

Cheers John, I've only been at this lark since christmas so I'm just using my mount and no guiding at the minute. Getting loads of advice and ideas from over at SGL from the likes of yourself :)

Not sure about the subs as I was really just testing the tracking of my mount because as you've already mentioned I'm probably at the mount's limit weight wise. I think it's only about 10x10 secs plus 1x60 secs and about 4 dark frames. ISO at 800.

Paul

You've pulled a lot of detail out with such short subs... nicely done and going great guns for only a month... also, not picking the easiest of targets to practice on :D

You've pulled a lot of detail out with such short subs... nicely done and going great guns for only a month... also, not picking the easiest of targets to practice on :D

Thanks John.
I was under the impression that the Orion Nebula would've been the easiest target to start with as it's so big and can be seen easily but the guys over at SGL reckon it's one of the hardest. This was my first effort at deep sky imaging taken last week. I'm using my neice's Canon D60 so I can't take the IR filter out of it :)

Great Orion Nebula (M42) by Paul S Wharton, on Flickr

Paul

Looks good Paul, some lovely details beginning to come through. To do M42/M43 well is really hard... the dynamic range is phenomenal, from the trap (4 stars at the core) to the faint outer whispy regions. To get them all in without losing one or the other is processing and capture hell. You also need some long exposures... min 5 minutes, although I tried for 10 minutes last year, but an SLR isn't sensitive enough to get the faint outer reaches above the noise.

I'd suggest using some star clusters as a starting point... much easier... you don't need the long exposures, 30 seconds to 1 minute is normally more than enough. Try m36, m37 and m38 in Auriga for example.

Does your niece know you're gonna brutalise her camera ??

I'd suggest using some star clusters as a starting point... much easier... you don't need the long exposures, 30 seconds to 1 minute is normally more than enough. Try m36, m37 and m38 in Auriga for example.

Funnily enough that was the plan for tonight (y)

Paul

Good luck Paul.

Another option, use your nifty fifty stop it to f/4 and just mount the camera on the eq5... should be good for 4 to 5 minutes with the tracking I'd think... that's enough to create some very interesting widefield images of constellations.. I might have a couple of examples buried away... :D

Good luck Paul.

Another option, use your nifty fifty stop it to f/4 and just mount the camera on the eq5... should be good for 4 to 5 minutes with the tracking I'd think... that's enough to create some very interesting widefield images of constellations.. I might have a couple of examples buried away... :D

Must update my signature. I sold all my camera gear to fund the scope :)

Paul

Some detail there great capture. Just an idea to improve tracking have you tried doing a PAE on a few stars close to your target area.

You've lost me on PAE :)

What is it so I can give it a go.

Paul

Paul, I'd guess at Polar Alignment Error... (search for drift alignment)... But you've also got periodic error in the drives and gears, and all sorts of factors... As you've only just got the scope and mount, I'd stick with learning how to use them for now... Go with star clusters.. easy targets, don't need long exposures, therefore less issues with trails etc.

You've lost me on PAE :)

What is it so I can give it a go.

Paul

PAE = Pointing Accuracy Enhancement

Do your standard 2 or 3 star alignment and then chose a bright star via the objects data base on the hand controller use the goto command to the star near to your target, if the chosen star is not in the centre of your eye piece do the following press the ESC key on your handset twice and you should see a message saying re- aligning star use your control keys to re-centre star and then press enter. If you do this process on two or three stars the scope gets a better mapping of the sky Good Polar alignment is essential for tracking so take your time going through this process. Hope this helps.

I took this image of the M42 the other night, around 90 odd images at 30 secs each ISO 800. Hope you dont mind me posting the image I though it might help you to see the difference with minimal star drift, my mount is only the EQ3 so your mount is far more robust and once setup with a good star alignment you should get at least 3mins with no star drift.

M4228Jan.jpg

Last edited:
PAE = Pointing Accuracy Enhancement

Do your standard 2 or 3 star alignment and then chose a bright star via the objects data base on the hand controller use the goto command to the star near to your target, if the chosen star is not in the centre of your eye piece do the following press the ESC key on your handset twice and you should see a message saying re- aligning star use your control keys to re-centre star and then press enter. If you do this process on two or three stars the scope gets a better mapping of the sky Good Polar alignment is essential for tracking so take your time going through this process. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Going to give this a go right now. Cracking image by the way (y)

Paul

Really like to give this subject a go sometime.
Also would like a telescope anyway.

Back