Angle Shades moth caterpillar with the Venus

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Here's an angle shades moth caterpillar taken with the Venus lens. It's going to take awhile sorting focus and light out. First four with the ring flash attached to the lens. The last one is with the softbox held off camera.

Paul.

Hard for me to tell properly as I'm viewing on a small screen but the lighting on the last shot with off camera soft box looks spot on
the colour doesn't seem right on the others but that may well be my screen :)
youre getting the hang of that lens really quickly:)

Hard for me to tell properly as I'm viewing on a small screen but the lighting on the last shot with off camera soft box looks spot on
the colour doesn't seem right on the others but that may well be my screen :)
youre getting the hang of that lens really quickly:)

I can;'t remember all the settings - I keep trying to change things. AWB, set to flash, either or was used at some stage but which in which order... The rich colour could be a factor of the brown leaf below adding reflected warmth.

Getting 2:1 though is difficult. Subject so close to the lens there's no light. Lord help me when I try a extension tube!

Paul.

Getting 2:1 though is difficult. Subject so close to the lens there's no light. Lord help me when I try a extension tube!

Paul.

I guess the working distance must be really close
yes it must be tricky focusing especially as its manual apeture
have you tried using live view? Would that make it easier?
Would have to use I tripod tho with live veiw focus I know I have to I cant hand hold the camera and live view focus

I don't think your doing too bad Paul that lens is amazing optically.

Great find on the cat too.

The lighting in the last one definitely looks better to me, the others the colour seems slightly out. The detail in all of them is pretty amazing

Nice set of images Paul, with some great detail. You seem to be getting to grips with your new lens pretty well and it certainly looks as if optically it's very good.(y)

George.

Nice set of images Paul, with some great detail. You seem to be getting to grips with your new lens pretty well and it certainly looks as if optically it's very good.(y)

George.

The IQ seems pretty impressive, yes George - but a long way to go yet.

Thank you for looking in.

Paul.

The sharpness of that lens really comes through. Looks like it was definitely a good purchase.

The ringflash has managed some good even lighting on the first few, but I think my preference is still for the soft box. Especially looking at the highlights/catch lights, and in particular on the water drop in the last two.

The sharpness of that lens really comes through. Looks like it was definitely a good purchase.

The ringflash has managed some good even lighting on the first few, but I think my preference is still for the soft box. Especially looking at the highlights/catch lights, and in particular on the water drop in the last two.

Yes the IQ is very good.

That droplet - it was exuded by the caterpillar when i poked it (gently) to see if it would move. It stayed curled up for ages.

When it did move it didn't go far...

Paul.

Back