Anglesey reds

Name
Howard
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by the thread on Brownsea reds I searched my old images and found these , taken at Newborough Forest on the Isle of Anglesey some years ago.

red_1_a.jpg

up_high_a.jpg

Howard

Nice subjects but I feel the second image looks odd, Halos round all the branches, I am guessing you have recovered a lot of details from the shadows.

The 1st is a much more natural looking exposure.

Thanks, both, for looking and commenting. The second is a crop and as you say the shadows have been tweaked too much.

Howard

Howard I agree with the comments above , but lovely to see. You might be able to help me,I have little to knowledge of our reds,but have a breif couple of Q's. Do the squirrels on the different isles around blighty show any differences. and do they in anyway differ from the mainland reds ie could one tell a Brownsea red from say one from Anglesea,etc. Howard I hope you don't mind me asking on your thread,

many thanks

stu

Hi Stu,

I'm very sorry but I can't really answer your question, however I would hazard a guess that there could be differences between the locations. There are several websites concerned with red squirrels - this is one http://rsst.org.uk/

I haven't been to Newborough for several months, next time we're on Anglesey I'll try and call and see if I can get better images.

Good luck with your search for info, sorry I could not be more help.

Howard

It might be a good idea to read up on any re-introduction projects.

Those involved would be careful to bring in animals that are as close as possible genetically to the population that has been lost.

Formby reds are a case in point. Several years ago, maybe in the 1930's some local bigwig decided that he wanted his own private squirrel collection. So he imported a load of squirrels from Canada. Black squirrels. These escaped/were "liberated" and now they have interbred for many years with the locals reds. The squirrels down there are now coloured anything from bright orange to jet black.

Formby reds are a case in point. Several years ago, maybe in the 1930's some local bigwig decided that he wanted his own private squirrel collection. So he imported a load of squirrels from Canada. Black squirrels. These escaped/were "liberated" and now they have interbred for many years with the locals reds. The squirrels down there are now coloured anything from bright orange to jet black.
I think you have been misinformed. The Red Squirrels in Formby, if I'm not mistaken, is from mainland Europe. As a species, they can come in many shades from almost 'blonde' to very dark. The Canadian squirrel is a sub-species of the Greys. The ones we see in small pockets of UK are most probably the melanistic form of the American Grey Squirrels that we have everywhere. As far as I know, the two species (red & grey) do not interbreed.

I think you have been misinformed. The Red Squirrels in Formby,
Maybe, but that's the official story from the wardens down there. If it's wrong I apologise. I don't claim to be an expert, just an interested bystander.

Maybe, but that's the official story from the wardens down there. If it's wrong I apologise. I don't claim to be an expert, just an interested bystander.

It might be true that someone has brought in the Greys a long while ago (or even the Blacks), but it certainly isn't the case with the cross-breeding. In fact, the Reds at Formby were nearly wiped out due to the squirrel pox outbreak in recent years. This virus, often found in the Greys, are lethal to the Reds. I simply don't understand why the wardens, assuming they are sufficiently trained, would be presenting such conflicting information to the public.

Back