Beginner Angling photography

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I am a keen carp angler and spend a lot of time on the bank by myself......On the odd occasion I manage to catch a fish I have to do a 'self take'. I have been using a phone to do this in the past with voice activation. I have just decided to try using a 'proper camera'. I have a Canon 7D and was looking for advice regards lens & flash etc. to use for these self takes, bearing in mind they could be either in the middle of the day or the middle of the night

My choice would be something like a 35mm on the 7D - 35 f2 IS USM perhaps. Get it on a tripod and buy Canon's RC-6 infrared remote. When you get to your location, learn at what distance your 35mm frames you and your catch. Perhaps if you've already got a standard zoom, you could see if you like a different length better. Depending on room, I guess you could need to go as wide as 24mm on the 7D.

Flash-wise, if you're not desperately looking for Canon-branded OEM kit, you could get something like a Yongnuo, YN568EX II. You'd want a diffuser of some kind. I do all natural light, so perhaps someone else can help you better with flash.

My choice would be something like a 35mm on the 7D - 35 f2 IS USM perhaps. Get it on a tripod and buy Canon's RC-6 infrared remote. When you get to your location, learn at what distance your 35mm frames you and your catch. Perhaps if you've already got a standard zoom, you could see if you like a different length better. Depending on room, I guess you could need to go as wide as 24mm on the 7D.

Flash-wise, if you're not desperately looking for Canon-branded OEM kit, you could get something like a Yongnuo, YN568EX II. You'd want a diffuser of some kind. I do all natural light, so perhaps someone else can help you better with flash.
Many thanks for your help Mitch, I will have a look at your recommendations thanks

I used to put a bankstick in the ground, focus on that and lock. Then you just position yourself on that spot with your specimen,remove the bankstick and shoot.
2 sec timer will work and just a set of cheap ebay remote to fire the button, the timer will allow you to position the catch and hide the remote in your hand.

I used to put a bankstick in the ground, focus on that and lock. Then you just position yourself on that spot with your specimen,remove the bankstick and shoot.
2 sec timer will work and just a set of cheap ebay remote to fire the button, the timer will allow you to position the catch and hide the remote in your hand.

Cheers mate, although I think 2 seconds is a little optimistic....:)

As someone already mentioned get yourself a tripod and a remote that's how I do all mine.I have a 50mm 1.4 which is a good lens for the trophy shots although you do have to sit a reasonable distance away from the camera if you have a crop sensor.I have always used whatever zoom lens before which has been either the 17-55mm kit lens or a 15-85mm lens.

When I am carp fishing by myself I set up the "photo area" as soon as the rods are out. I know many anglers think this is a jinx (like setting up the landing net immediately after casting out) but it is best to be prepared. I set up a tripod (where I intend to shoot from) and a bank stick a few feet in front (where I intend to pose). I set the lens in manual mode and pre-focus on the bank stick. I use aperture priority mode and set the camera at f8 as this is the sweet spot and also allows for any focusing tolerances. I don't bother shooting wide open and trying to blur the background as I only have once chance to get the shot and if a part of the fish (or me for that matter) is soft or out of focus because I was shooting to wide I would be mortified. The important thing is getting the shot and if that means the background is more in focus than I want then so be it. I do try and overcome this when I look for the photo location by paying attention to the background (i.e. how far it is away and how busy etc.) With regards to lenses I use the Canon 24mm f2.8 STM pancake to keep the size and weight down. I also shoot at the effective 40mm to ensure the whole of me (and the fish) appear in the frame - I crop in post as necessary. I use the Yongnuo RF603 remote shutter release to trip the shutter. I always use a flash (for fill) on the camera and I use this in TTL mode. I use a Godox Ving speed light (see a review here) and I use it on camera. There is no time to mess around with off camera lighting (even though I have the triggers to do so).

Back