Another 70-200mm question...

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking into adding a fairly decent 70-200mm lens into the bag and due to funding restructions have narrowed it down to either the Canon f/4L or the Sigma EX f/2.8 as both of these are available for about the same price (pre-loved of course :()
I'd love to be able to go up to the Canon f/2.8 L but at the price it is not an option (so please don't even suggest that unless you have one you want to sell to me for about £400 (y))

So - in terms of IQ, AF and all round goodieness which of the two should I consider most - the 2.8 is appealing for the fastness but would I possibly get sharper pics from the Canon? :shrug:

Any sample images/comparisons others have done on their quest would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I think you have already answered that question in your post.
I would go with the canon, but then it really depends if you are desperate for the need of a 2.8. Hopefully someone here might put up a couple of test shots.
You can always Google Canon f/4L V Sigma EX f/2.8

What about a nice second hand 70-300? Not the budget 75-300, but the Canon 70-300 IS USM small, light and portable. What's more, it's cheaper and you could flog it on for what you paid when you can afford to go for the 2.8L.

Would you believe it, there's one for sale here. And what a great price too. :D

at the risk of sounding like a broken record..

ive got a gen 1 "macro" sigma 70-200 and its tack sharp through the range, nice fast AF, well built etc etc.

check my flickr for examples.

i really want the sig 2.8, and one day, if i find it for the right price ill get one.

but i want one of the macro ones, as neil says, ive seen his shots with it.

morning neil :wave:

Not long had the sigma macro (version 1) First real test at Cadwell park a few weeks ago. I was very happy with results.

I have the latest Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and its brilliant.

I can't really compare it against the Canon lens as everyone knows that Nikon's are better lol.

Good luck with your decision.

I've got the Canon F4 L and I love it. Focusing is fast, smooth, and accurate. Weight is good. Image quality has been fantastic. Can't comment on the Sigma option, but I can highly recommend the Canon.

I don't know what you shoot, but if you don't need lightning fast AF, take a look at the tamron - think it is around £450 now. It is supposed to be as sharp as the canon f2.8, but the AF is not as fast and it isn't weather sealed.

There was a thread about it a few weeks ago here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=114034&highlight=tamron+70-200

I bought one, and am very happy with it, but I don't shoot sports.

Found some good review information here

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

great for comapring lenses against each other too of various flavours - I've certainly bookmarked this to help with future glass purchases.

Thanks too for all the help guys (n gals) - I think I'm heading down the L route - I hope this isn't the start of an expensive love affair :shake:

Hi Ian have sent you a few piccys. hope it helps.
Peter.

you lot have got me hunting for one of these now

if i can sell my 55-250 for about £160, and find an older sig for £330 ish, i can do it.

so just waiting for that right priced bargain to come along, i saw one go on ebay t'other day for £320, was the macro too.

Hi as Gem says we had a bit of a discusion in here a few weeks ago and it came down to the tamron is super sharp but does slow focus but once locked on its superb and I dont find it a problem with light aircraft, The sigma has super fast focus but I had one and found it to be a bit soft for my liking yet lots of people here have them and love them but as for value for money the tamron is definately worth a shot

Pete

How does the canon f4 non is handle, Do you get alot of camera shake hand held? Does the sigma have there version of is

It's quite a light lens, so it wont wear you out carrying it round all day. I've shot motorsports, eagles, the Statue of Liberty, etc with it, and it's been a great bit of kit. As long as you keep the shutter speed fast enough, you'll have no issues. Can't say I miss IS on it, however, my 300mm F4 just can't do without IS!!

Back