Another advice photo please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photographs taken in the near dark generally look better looking dark. so you have done the right thing.

However I am not sure why you would choose to take a picture like this, that has little else going for it apart from a pretty girl having a drink in a dark corner. It is the sort of thing many people have countless numbers of, on their phones.
At least you seem to have found the limits of your sensor.

Hi Terrywoodenpic the girl is me and I took it as I take photos of myself that reflect my mood at the time and I like to look at photos of people and portraits so its just my thing sorry if you hate it. Thank you GreenNinja67 I'm not quite sure what that means though can you explain more at all please? x

White (or very light colours) can be difficult to photograph in dark conditions using flash, as the flash tends to reflect off white objects more than it does from darker colours around it. So you end up with the whites appearing really bright (or totally 'bleached out') and/or the darker colours getting a lost amongst the dark background.

There are some options to avoid this, some of which include: not wearing white (or very light colours), or using available light instead of flash (which might mean sitting somewhere with brighter lighting so the camera can cope). There are ways of using flash lighting to cope with situations like this, but this starts to get a bit more complicated and I'm not the best one to explain the various options. Hope this is useful.

PS Perhaps you could try some tortoiseshell colour framed sunglasses instead next time, if that's not a fashion police incident (I don't know what's 'in' these days!)? :cool:

Last edited:
Hi thanks Mr Badger I love trying anything at all but as I am not a trained photographer and just use my eye I am here to get more tips. I need great tips!!!! x

Sorry I have just seen I have posted this in the wrong section. Can anyone move it to "Photos People and Portraits" please. Thanks, Dani xx

Thank you TheBigYin. How do I reply to you with a speech bubble I cant find it? Thanks x

Dani, i know you have asked specifically about the lighting in your selfie and its been answered above but a few things which sprung to mind when first viewing your portrait.
I would suggest a few composition tweaks.
Whatever is closest to the camera will appear large in the frame. In this case your hand holding the glass is quite distracting in your image. If you have used onboard flash, this has reflected off the back of your hand making it look a completely different colour.
Not showing the back of a hand is more flattering. If you position your hand so as the the edge of the little finger is towards the camera, this presents a much more flattering aspect. In this case it wouldn't be practical as you are holding a glass, perhaps bringing your fingers more towards the camera so as to lessen the effect of the back of your hand not being so prominent.
These are my observations, please feel free to ignore. :D

Dani, i know you have asked specifically about the lighting in your selfie and its been answered above but a few things which sprung to mind when first viewing your portrait.
I would suggest a few composition tweaks.
Whatever is closest to the camera will appear large in the frame. In this case your hand holding the glass is quite distracting in your image. If you have used onboard flash, this has reflected off the back of your hand making it look a completely different colour.
Not showing the back of a hand is more flattering. If you position your hand so as the the edge of the little finger is towards the camera, this presents a much more flattering aspect. In this case it wouldn't be practical as you are holding a glass, perhaps bringing your fingers more towards the camera so as to lessen the effect of the back of your hand not being so prominent.
These are my observations, please feel free to ignore. :D
Thanks soo much I need all the help and advice I can get really so it is so much appreciated. xx

Asides from the aesthetics, I'm curious as to the technical side, what iso used, what shutter speed, what aperture, we all as photographers know that with a wide open aperture, a slower shutter speed and a higher ISO we can brighten up most images in dark situations, in addition, what camera was used, an slr, a compact, I know I could always download the image and check the EXIF, but, Dani, do you know what you used as regards camera and settings ?

Asides from the aesthetics, I'm curious as to the technical side, what iso used, what shutter speed, what aperture, we all as photographers know that with a wide open aperture, a slower shutter speed and a higher ISO we can brighten up most images in dark situations, in addition, what camera was used, an slr, a compact, I know I could always download the image and check the EXIF, but, Dani, do you know what you used as regards camera and settings ?
Hi sorry I missed your post until now! I used the default setting on my Sony Cybershot camera so nothing fancy I didn't try the ISO settings thing as I am not sure how to use it yet. Thanks, Dani xx

I think.. that you're making life hard for yourself by practising on yourself and in the dark. It's easier to get a grasp of composition and exposure on other people in good light.

I know this is the sort of picture you actually want to take but you can practice on anything.
This.

Decide whether you actually want to be a photographer or a model; if a photographer...

Your camera gives limitations you can learn to work around, but to do that you need to understand them.

Low light performance is dire, and you have no control of or option for studio lighting - so you have to learn how to 'see' interesting natural light to make the most of it.

You can't create a shallow depth of field, so you have to remove all distractions physically.

It'll be lots easier for you to practice on friends and family.

If you really want to be a muse, sign up to some model sites.

This.

Decide whether you actually want to be a photographer or a model; if a photographer...

Your camera gives limitations you can learn to work around, but to do that you need to understand them.

Low light performance is dire, and you have no control of or option for studio lighting - so you have to learn how to 'see' interesting natural light to make the most of it.

You can't create a shallow depth of field, so you have to remove all distractions physically.

It'll be lots easier for you to practice on friends and family.

If you really want to be a muse, sign up to some model sites.
Hi I get what you are saying but right now I want to do photographer as it is my way of escape and it is what I enjoy to do. I know I dont have the best equipment but am wanting to learn more and then in Sept I am upgrading my camera for my birthday so until then I have to stick with my sony. Also about the modelling I am not sure I would even be in demand for something like that! Thanks, Dani xx

Hi I get what you are saying but right now I want to do photographer as it is my way of escape and it is what I enjoy to do. I know I dont have the best equipment but am wanting to learn more and then in Sept I am upgrading my camera for my birthday so until then I have to stick with my sony. Also about the modelling I am not sure I would even be in demand for something like that! Thanks, Dani xx
It's not about cameras.

Like I said, as long as you understand the restrictions of your kit, there's no reason you shouldn't produce great pictures.

With the limitations of the kit, extent of knowledge and situation (trying to be model and photographer, novice using an auto-everything compact camera) you've done well, so don't be discouraged.

Consider this to be your first steps to understanding that pictures are generally made or created by the photographer, rather than just seen & grabbed. Some of the best advice here is to find someone who will let you take their picture and then use good natural light to photograph them. That will let you see what light does in a photograph and also help you learn how to interact with and pose people.

With the limitations of the kit, extent of knowledge and situation (trying to be model and photographer, novice using an auto-everything compact camera) you've done well, so don't be discouraged.

Consider this to be your first steps to understanding that pictures are generally made or created by the photographer, rather than just seen & grabbed. Some of the best advice here is to find someone who will let you take their picture and then use good natural light to photograph them. That will let you see what light does in a photograph and also help you learn how to interact with and pose people.
Thank you for that I need good tips I know! xx

So, this is a fake person asking for help ?

Damn it, was about to give them some help and advice about how to get the best from their camera, thanks for pointing this out guys.

He, not she.. An impostor posing as a girl.

Taken from some young girl's blog back in 2009, it would seem.

Trust me. I am an Admin on another forum which fell for the ruse until just today. Your Admins are aware and will clarify if they feel the need to.

Why would someone do this ???

Why impersonate a young female ?

Why take someone else's shots and pass them as your own - multiple times and on multiple forums ???

And why the hell would you use same details / images etc ???

I really can't understand why / for what purpose ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back