Another attempt at portrait

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Don't very often try photographing people as I find it introduces another variable to complicate the issue of trying to take a photo (maybe I should try another hobby!)

Anyway, I had a shoot with a friend recently, from which I managed to salvage this shot as being half decent. What do you think?

head.jpg

Looks good to me! If anything it looks to me like you have a nack for portraiture. Nice clean background and well exposed for high key image. Eyes are nice and sharp and the catchlights are gorgeous. Can't fault it!!

if that was cropped so that her eyes were on the upper right third - you'd have a winner.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I don't know why, but I really struggle when it comes to portrait photography, but every so often I manage to get a picture like this one, that just encourages me to keep trying.

Nice one.:clap:(y):)

no wonder you posted that - beautiffuly done - what was the setup?

Sheridant I think the Exif data should still be intact to give you the camera settings. As far as lighting goes I just used a single softbox.

More than half decent I'd say. Very nice shot. I love the crisp contrasty B&W look too. Any special preocessing here? My B&Ws always seem a bit too murky

Fairly basic processing - removed a small zit, minimised a couple of smile lines, small adjustment to levels and curves as the original was about 1/2 stop underexposed, and then a B&W conversion using image adjustment.

The advantage of using image adjustment to convert to B&W rather than just desaturating the image, is that you get 6 sliders to control how the conversion is done. I find this gives you much finer control over how the final image looks, rather than just trusting to luck.

This is another one from the same shoot, that used the same lighting and processing.

head2.jpg

Last edited:
excellent :clap:

Back