Another batch of dragonflies

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Lots of dragonflies and damselflies around now so great opportunities to get out and shoot them. A few species of dragonfly can still be found emerging around the water's edge. I was lucky enough to find these at a local nature reserve.

I am really enjoying the 7D2 and 100-400mm mk II combo, especially with a 25mm extension tube on the end. It gives great flexibility for framing and composition.

Immature Male Azure Damselfly by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Four-spotted Chaser by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Female Hairy Dragonfly by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Excellent set as usual from you.

I am really enjoying the 7D2 and 100-400mm mk II combo, especially with a 25mm extension tube on the end. It gives great flexibility for framing and composition.

....I have the same combo and recently bought a set of extension tubes (via TP Classifieds) with the idea of using on my Canon 100mm F/2.8 L IS Macro but the shallow DoF is ridiculous on live subjects and I haven't had any success yet.

So I am very interested how a tube benefits a telephoto lens - Does it shorten the MFD of the 100-400mm? I could of course simply try it out myself - My tubes are Polaroid and 13 / 21 / 31 mm. You're right - Having a zoom lens offers so much more flexibility.

EDIT:
I just tried it indoors with firstly the 21 and then 31 mm tube but also with my Canon 1.4x III in the combo! It's very wet and windy today but the next sunny day I'll be testing it on Damselflies in my 'BackYard' just a couple of minutes walk away.

Very nice shots.
Interesting that an extension tube works well with the new 100-400mm. I found that AF is flaky with my Nikon equivalent 80-400mm and 20mm Polaroid tube on my D7200. I recently got the 70-200mm F2.8 VR2 though and a tube works really well with that. One advantage with a tube on a telezoom is that the tube has a greater pro-rata effect as you zoom out so you can focus closer at 100mm than at 400mm. The actual maximum magnification you get varies because as you zoom out the reduction in magnification is countered by the fact that you can go in closer.

One advantage with a tube on a telezoom is that the tube has a greater pro-rata effect as you zoom out so you can focus closer at 100mm than at 400mm. The actual maximum magnification you get varies because as you zoom out the reduction in magnification is countered by the fact that you can go in closer.

....That's useful to know. It would probably have taken me a while to discover this. Thanks, Mike :)

Very nice shots.
Interesting that an extension tube works well with the new 100-400mm. I found that AF is flaky with my Nikon equivalent 80-400mm and 20mm Polaroid tube on my D7200. I recently got the 70-200mm F2.8 VR2 though and a tube works really well with that. One advantage with a tube on a telezoom is that the tube has a greater pro-rata effect as you zoom out so you can focus closer at 100mm than at 400mm. The actual maximum magnification you get varies because as you zoom out the reduction in magnification is countered by the fact that you can go in closer.

#2 was shot at 100mm focal length with the 25mm tube at the closest focus that this combo gives.

@RedRobin - The magnification you get is focal length / tube size when focussed at infinity. No idea how to calculate it when at closest focus though. So at 100mm focal length mag is 1:4 and at 400mm is 1:16

Excellent set as usual from you.

....I have the same combo and recently bought a set of extension tubes (via TP Classifieds) with the idea of using on my Canon 100mm F/2.8 L IS Macro but the shallow DoF is ridiculous on live subjects and I haven't had any success yet.

I guess that's because you are then getting >1:1 mag where dof drops off significantly. This is MP-E territory.

#2 was shot at 100mm focal length with the 25mm tube at the closest focus that this combo gives.

@RedRobin - The magnification you get is focal length / tube size when focussed at infinity. No idea how to calculate it when at closest focus though. So at 100mm focal length mag is 1:4 and at 400mm is 1:16

....As I usually (in the Dragonfly season) also carry a Canon 100mm F/2.8 L IS Macro with the option of a Kenko 1.4x, I don't know yet which I will favour re 100-400mm + tube. I guess that the MFD will be a big influence.... Get some in the bag first at distance and then, if allowed, get in close-n-personal with the 100mm Macro (assuming time to swop lenses.

I'm not too bothered by the mag ratios - It's simply what achieves the image I am after.

I guess that's because you are then getting >1:1 mag where dof drops off significantly. This is MP-E territory.

....That's the one! And then it means carrying lighting etc etc and that doesn't suit me.

Last edited:
Back