Another bean bag tip/trick... this one is probably free.

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
When using a bean bag you can put a strap around it. By changing the position and tightness of the strap you can change how high it sits by limiting the leg spread. And you can adjust the firmness of the bean bag by adjusting the free volume of space.

beanBagStrap.jpg

That is a very big and sophisticated bean bag. Mine is just a bag full of beans (made by my mother for her own use and almost certainly contains actual beans).

That is a very big and sophisticated bean bag. Mine is just a bag full of beans (made by my mother for her own use and almost certainly contains actual beans).
It's a very common design and rather cheap (< $20 unfilled)... but it is big, and it's quite heavy when filled with dried corn kernels (what I had around for feeding ducks).

You can also use a strap around a folded "flat" bean bag. it will do the same things plus it will help create the "A" shape of this design (sits better on edges)... Some flat bags come with side straps to do the same thing (i.e. Kinesis).

Last edited:
I bought a small filled bean bag and it was filled with very small foam balls, definitely light guess it does the same job as other bags filled with heavier material.

I bought a small filled bean bag and it was filled with very small foam balls, definitely light guess it does the same job as other bags filled with heavier material.
Heavier/denser is generally better... and I wouldn't want one filled with polystyrene if you might be traveling with it. One would normally travel w/ it empty to save space/weight, and then fill with whatever is locally available cheaply (i.e. rice).

I have one like that which I've had a while now and over the last year of having the Sigma 150-600mm sitting on it I think the foam is getting a bit squished. It's definitely not as 'plump' as it once was. I'm thinking of getting some plastic pellets to mix with the foam. I wouldn't want to be carrying a heavier one even though it probably would be better - I'd end up just leaving it at home.

I have one like that which I've had a while now and over the last year of having the Sigma 150-600mm sitting on it I think the foam is getting a bit squished. It's definitely not as 'plump' as it once was. I'm thinking of getting some plastic pellets to mix with the foam. I wouldn't want to be carrying a heavier one even though it probably would be better - I'd end up just leaving it at home.
I only ever use them from a vehicle... which is where it lives.

I like that idea thanks for the tip

The solution is simple. If you carry the beabag yourself then polystyrene beads is the way to go. However If your significant other half is with you and carries the beanbag then you really must have firm support so rice is nice.;)

Please don't tell your SOH I said this.

Back