Another Betty Self Portrait

Betty

BrideZilla!!!
Edit My Images
No
I was so bored tonight, and with no sunlight to aid my togging quest, I turned to the trusty softbox to shoot my ugly mug :D

dee4.jpg

It actually looks better smaller as my FB profile pic :D

Any thoughts? I am not happy with the amount of stray hairs before anyone mentions that. I actually had a go at using the Brush Tool tonight, not something I normally use, but I managed to wipe out some shiny skin with it :)

Ooooo What lovely eye you have!

Ooooo What lovely eye you have!

Which one though? I vote left :p

Very nice shot Betty :love: hehe - lighting looks spot on, love the composition too and the slight angle of your face to fill the frame etc (y) oh and yeah like the catch lights in your eyes too and the black and white treatment works really well I think :)

Thanks both! Nice to know I have nice eyes ;) Ooooh look! -------> ;) Thats me with one eye :LOL:

Just caught your edit JL, yes it didnt look right in colour, B+W makes me look more sultry... apparently :D

Last edited:
That works! Those eyes are soooo sharp!!!

Very nice self portrait!(y)

And as for stray hairs - I wish I had enough to have strays!!!!:(

hmmmmmm...

honest thoughts or a nice comment :shrug:

you decided :cautious:

md(y)

:razz:

i like it (y)

ill pm you my thoughts :baby:

md(y)

Dont be daft MD, tell me if you dont like it, I wont cry myself to sleep ;)

Are the 'square' catchlights natural, or were they added later Betty?

that reminds me on the "Money for nothing" post tonight, great eye contact and I like tightly cropped images anyway.

The only thing bothering me is the distinctly square catchlights. Don't know if that's really a problem in portraits or not though, not my strong point :)

Thanks dod, like I said, they were from a very square softbox :D

Ill have a go at "rounding" them (y)

Are the 'square' catchlights natural, or were they added later Betty?

these were due to the softbox being to close and to low imho..

had it been slightly higher and further back the catchlight would have been at a more natural angle and size..

betty you already said about the hairs (y)

not that i would have noticed (y)

..must try one of these myself soon for your comments..

well done on the focus and sharpness.. these are harder than a shot of someone else so in all fairness i think you have done really well here..

keep up the good work it is a pleasure to watch you progress....

but if you slip up :naughty:

md:wave:

Thank you MD, I do value your input, honestly I do :D

Ill try moving the softbox further away next time then, and Ill try not to slip up Sir :D

Nice image Betty hope you dont mind but I removed the hairs for you... got bored as I am backing up at the moment, if you want it removed just yell.

2924655369_0920d0ec3d_o.jpg

Nigel

Hows this with the rounder catchlights? :)

dee5.jpg

Sorry Nigel, missed your post! Thats lovely thank you, I dont mind one bit! I am happy to have help making me look better :LOL:

Last edited:
First things first - these close up self portraits are extremely brave and the problem with modern glass is it can be very unforgiving when you get in this close. The stray hairs don't bother me, this isn't a studio portrait and they're what makes you you innit. Doddy was bang on- the big square catch lights look really strange. The biggest problem though is you've moved in far too close - look how the nose is magnified and prominent, while the forehead and chin are receding due to the exaggerated perspective. The width between the eyes is also stretched,in fact, the whole face looks like it's been mapped to the side of a globe.

I did a quick edit for you Betty - but really you should oughta take it again IMHO. :)

2924658003_6205cb834e_o.jpg

Nice mince pies though gal. :D

:nono:

not for me ...

think more 1 o'clock

:naughty:

md(y)

Thanks CT, Ive got bloody awful skin too :D (in my first pic I mean, not yours)

I love how you call it a "quick edit", that would have taken me ages :p

ct i see you moved the catchlight but it now looks strange imho

md(y)

just yell :shrug:

dee4.jpg

md:shrug:

I'd go for a more crescent shaped catchlight actually Dave, and soften it just a bit, but at least we agree on the position. ;)

Wow those eyes really hit you. Hmm not sure about the catchlights or what shape they should be, I think the original position works but they might look better a different shape.

I'd go for a more crescent shaped catchlight actually Dave, and soften it just a bit, but at least we agree on the position. ;)

righto betty listen to this and the position and hey presto (y)

we will pick you up on something else next time..

i hope other that have followed this thread understand why people go for the 1 o'clock round catchlight..

its not the law look in any magazine and you will see three or four . catchlights...:razz:

md(y)

Wow thanks for all the edits guys! You are a good lot, and I didnt even have to ask :D

Ill have to brush up on my catchlight skills, ie moving them around without looking messy :)

Wow thanks for all the edits guys! You are a good lot, and I didnt even have to ask :D

Ill have to brush up on my catchlight skills, ie moving them around without looking messy :)

:nono:

not the catchlights betty the lights/light

best to get it right in camera

md(y)

The thing with the catch lights is simple enough - in the real world we're used to seeing people lit from above, whether it be the sky or overhead room lighting and we'd expect to see the catchlight higher where it usually looks far more natural. Not a carved in stone rule - but something to consider.

Back