Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Some shots from my recent Macro Safari's

Here is a damsel fly eating a crane fly

Damsel fly eating 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Damsel fly eating 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I did not see the insects in this shot but the curled leaf peaked my interest so I took a shot and thought I will check that out later.An ID would be nice.

Nest in curled up oak leaf by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I suspect this is a digger wasp but I am unsure. This was a tough shot to get and not the best really.

Wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr

There are two spiders one of which is on a yellow dung fly. Can you predict what happened next. I took more shots but did not wait too long. I need to process the other shots.

Two spiders by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a sawfly on a blossom

Sawfly on blossom by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I like them all, the wasp is always tricky. The click beetles must be common as lots of people photograph them -saying that they are always worth seeing.
I will have to look on my sunny front wall to see if I can get a jumping spider.

A very nice set Alf. The first one really jumped out at me and I very much like the sawfly and the jumping spider too.

As to the two spiders, I would guess that what didn't happen next was that the dung fly escaped. (Interesting to see a predator predated*.) Perhaps the other spider stole the prey?

*Is "predate" a valid word in this context? Looking it up seems to refer on to "at an earlier date" rather than in connection with predation.

Great set Alf, the sawfly and click-beetle are so cute:D Excellent capture for the #1(y)

Thanks Icy glad you like them

I like them all, the wasp is always tricky. The click beetles must be common as lots of people photograph them -saying that they are always worth seeing.
I will have to look on my sunny front wall to see if I can get a jumping spider.

Thanks David and get out there looking for Jumpers.

A very nice set Alf. The first one really jumped out at me and I very much like the sawfly and the jumping spider too.

As to the two spiders, I would guess that what didn't happen next was that the dung fly escaped. (Interesting to see a predator predated*.) Perhaps the other spider stole the prey?

*Is "predate" a valid word in this context? Looking it up seems to refer on to "at an earlier date" rather than in connection with predation.

Thanks Nick Glad you like them

As for the two spiders no the dung fly did not get away.

The top one came down and they seemed to set out to eat together which I suspect is very unlikely.

Two spiders 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Two spiders 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Then in this shot it looks like mating is being or has been attempted. Unfortunately due to the difficulty of these two spinning on a thread and time shortage I moved on. So I do not know how this ended.

Two spiders 4 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Yet another fine set of images. I'm going to make it my mission to get a Jumping Spider shot.

The 2 flies and the jumper are my favs. I can appreciate the difficulty of the wasp, they don't like to pose. And i like the spider struggle.
Thanks Andy.

Back