(Another) Downsizing decision: Canon > X100t or A7II

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve got a well-used (and loved) 7D with a lot of lenses and accessories, but since the arrival of our first daughter, it just hasn’t been getting used as much as it should.

For a while I was looking at moving to the X100t series - great images from a small-form camera. But a good friend who works at Sony has been in touch and can get the Alpha 7 II series at below grey-import prices.

They’re obviously very different cameras; full-frame w/ no lens included, or crop with a fixed lens, but both tick the box of great IQ from a small body (and so more portable, therefore more likely to be taken out).

I don’t have the cash to do both, so it’ll be a case of selling (almost) everything to fund this – but need advice as to which way to lean.

In terms of what I shoot; friends and family (Confession: I’m an Uncle Bob…), landscapes, travel and climbing/bouldering.

What’s held me back from making the leap earlier is I also like to dabble in other bits; macro (flowers & bugs), wildlife (though not for ages), time-lapse and “studio” stuff (i.e. messing around with off-camera flash for family portraits).

I’ve played with both cameras. I really like the manual-feel of the X100t; dials for A/S/ISO and manual focus (though fiddly) felt great and it’s very pocket-able. But, the fixed lens does vaguely concern me. Though I now rarely take the 35mm Sigma Art off the Canon, it’s nice knowing I could if I wanted to…

The A7 II – likewise had a play. It’s not as small, especially with a decent lens on, but part of me has always hankered for FF and it would mean I could re-grow my lens collection if/when time and money allow.

If I were to go the X100t route – I’d sell everything, which would easily finance it, with some left over.

If I were to go the A7 II route – I would likely hold on to my 35mm Sigma (It’s amazing), and 105mm Macro and then have to buy a Metabones adapter (so more £££). But then part of me thinks that sticking either of these lenses on the body defeats the point of downsizing… However the smaller Sony/Zeiss 35mm or 40mm lenses are pretty expensive, and I’ll need a lens to start with.

So there we have it. My dilemma… Spend less and trust I’ll be happy with the limitations, or spend more but end up with a more flexible option that runs the risk of suffering the same fate of the 7D.

Any advice?

I have all the a72 bodies also my canon lenses with metabones great system obv with the lenses doesn't downsize much to me it r ally depends on what you shoot... I would find the x100t very limiting but some people wouldnt

I think I'd just go "vanilla" A7II... the R and S are quite a bit more, for stuff I don't think I'd really use (4k video or crazy low-light performance)

I would go the Sony A7II route as you can do so much more with it, I found the Fuji X100 too restrictive for me personally, it depends on your creative needs as I have seen some smashing photos taken with the X100 and/or other fixed lens systems.

just a quick one why are you moving away from canon???

Dont discount the fuji compact system cameras - XE1, XE2, X Pro1, X Pro2, XT10, XT1
They might not be full frame like the sony but they have an ever growing lens range with some fantastic primes in the line up.

@owenb - Mostly because I don't really need a full-scale SLR at the moment. Apart from the financial investment, I have no real brand loyalty. These two; Fuji & Sony just seem to make excellent small-form cameras

@stupar - Similar to my dilemma about the A7II, I don't want to swap one collection of gear for another...

I hadn't fallen in love with the Sigma Art 35mm (it is SOOOOOO nice), it would make the decision a bit earlier, I'm just really loathe to let it go - hence considering the Alpha as I can keep it. But interestingly, the main reason I bought it was to try out that focal range with a view to getting the X100t...

Get the A7 plus 35mm f2.8, this will give you a quite compact but quality camera and lens. Sell your existing lenses and buy cheap manual lenses for the more occasional stuff... like an old film era and cheapish manual macro lens.

I've just sold my 70D & L lenses for a fuji x100t for similar reasons! It was a big decision for me, however I've ordered a lovely bag & strap to make myself feel better! A camera is only good if you use it, I could never be bothered to carry a bag of lenses etc or get it out at home where as I think (hope!) I will with the Fuji as it's small, light & I don't have to worry about lens choices etc!

My style is family, streets, portraits etc I like the macro function on the X100T but it's not going to replace a macro lens. Sport can be quite quick even climbing and I think the Fuji has a slower auto focus than the Sony.

Last edited:
@owenb - Mostly because I don't really need a full-scale SLR at the moment. Apart from the financial investment, I have no real brand loyalty. These two; Fuji & Sony just seem to make excellent small-form cameras

@stupar - Similar to my dilemma about the A7II, I don't want to swap one collection of gear for another...

I hadn't fallen in love with the Sigma Art 35mm (it is SOOOOOO nice), it would make the decision a bit earlier, I'm just really loathe to let it go - hence considering the Alpha as I can keep it. But interestingly, the main reason I bought it was to try out that focal range with a view to getting the X100t...

You could get an XE2 or an XT10 and buy a 35mm prime. Its still small with a nice compact lens but more importantly if you decide 35mm is no good/limited you have the ability to change it or compliment it with something else. The X100 would restrict you in that sense.
Having said that, if you are positive 35mm is all you need then its a bit of an easier choice.

Man... should've done this as a poll ;)

@Ferj - How long have you been with X100t for any how many times have you found yourself missing the Canon?
@woof woof - Which 35 lens?

@woof woof[/USER] - Which 35 lens?
Get the A7 plus 35mm f2.8, this will give you a quite compact but quality camera and lens...

It's the FE 35mm f2.8. Ok, not a f1.4... but a compact and quality bit of kit and with a small prime the A7 isn't significantly larger than a mini DSLR Fuji but will offer the FF experience and quality.

Last edited:

yeah agreed just wondered as obv the x100t and the a7 are completely different and obv because of your canon lenses I would recommend the a7ii

Agreed, very different in terms of cost and functionality - but both tick the "small body - awesome photos - full control" which I'm after.

Assuming I either stick with my Sigma 35mm, or sell it and get the Sony/Zeiss 25 - it mostly "just" comes down to price (though with mate's discount only about £200 difference...)

Either way, I've decided I WILL sell the Canon gear and make the leap. I'm leaning more towards the A7II, for future proofing, and leaves the option open for a 2nd hand X100/s/t

Man... should've done this as a poll ;)

@Ferj - How long have you been with X100t for any how many times have you found yourself missing the Canon?
@woof woof - Which 35 lens?

Well I'm awaiting delivery from Panamoz so I'll update you as soon as but I'm genuinely excited to take pictures with it! I bought myself a strap from Hard Graft & a new Tenba Cooper 8 bag, the lensmate thumb grip & the Fuji lens hood and it's all slowly arriving!

Thing for me is it looks great, it's portable, the jpegs SOOC are fantastic from what I've seen, I can edit images on my phone after transmitting via wifi so my work flow is simple, quick and I can shoot more. Far better than lugging lenses etc when you're trying to keep up with the kids or not stand out on the street.

I haven't used the Fuji system, but have made the move from Canon -> Sony in the past 2 years. The a7 bodies are great for travel/landscape/portraits and you can't go wrong with them. I have a Sigma 35mm Art and it really sings on the a7 bodies, no mode focus issues.

@Sid Do you use a Canon-fit Sigma? What adapted if so, and how do you find the size/weight.

One thing I forgot to mention - I'll be taking a lot of shots of our crawler (soon to be toddler) - will the Sony or x100t keep up focus keep up?

@Sid Do you use a Canon-fit Sigma? What adapted if so, and how do you find the size/weight.

Yup, Canon fit via a Metabones IV (and Metabones III after a firmware update). I've used it a lot on an a7R and the balance wasn't great, but for the quality I got past that pretty quickly. With the a7Rm2 the balance is even better and the focus is absolutely brilliant -- tracks well and I don't think it's missed focus yet. I'm not sure how close the focus functionality will be on the a7m2, but I was happy with the a7R and the a7m2 should be better than that.

When I have an L-plate on both the a7R and the a7R2 it makes the balance even better.

TL;DR: this is a great combination in terms of IQ and focusing. The ergonomics are nowhere near as nice as something like a Loxia or an FE 55mm, but it only took me a few minutes to get past that and get on with the picture taking.

Back