Another 'figure in the landscape' shot

Edit My Images
No
Hello folks.

Another figure in the landscape image you might say but this one tells a story. The figure is myself (a timed self portrait) and the place is Y Llethr in the wonderful Rhinogydd mountains of Snowdonia.

Almost five years ago I was stood in this exact spot when I recieved a phone call from my then finace telling me that we were finished and when I returned to Northamptonshire I would have to leave. I was, as you might imagine, utterly distraught but decided there and then that I would quit my job and move to Snowdonia as soon as possible.

Four days later I arrived in Capel Curig with no job, nowhere to live and next to no money. Somehow, I turned this rather rash action into a success story and five years on things have turned out incredibly well for me and my photographic career.

I still miss my ex and think of her often, returning to this very poignant place once or twice a year to think about how my new life in Snowdonia started, how far I've come and how far I still have to go.

Thanks for looking :)

A pilgrimage - The Rhinogydd - Snowdonia - Wales by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great story Nick, and a fine shot to tell it with. Could you really tell that your head would be just below the top of the mountain, or was that just the tiniest piece of fortune? ;)

Great story Nick, and a fine shot to tell it with. Could you really tell that your head would be just below the top of the mountain, or was that just the tiniest piece of fortune? ;)

After my first attempt I realised that there may be an issue with my head breaking the skyline so I moved the camera back a bit until it worked perfectly...well spotted :)

Great photo. Bit lame that comment but it is.

Gaz

Not being funny but it is a vile act to end a relationship with someone you are engaged with in a phone call. Not that its any of my business

Good story and a fitting result, but you must have been running like a maniac to get in shot. What did you have, ten seconds? And you did it twice.

Not being funny but it is a vile act to end a relationship with someone you are engaged with in a phone call. Not that its any of my business

I couldn't agree more and still it haunts me to this day, hence my revisiting of this place at times when I need to think about my life.

However, the point of the photograph is one of a human being connecting with a landscape in a way the trancends the usual photographic motivations. I love this place for what it looks like, how it feels but mainly for what it means to me in a broader sense.

Good story and a fitting result, but you must have been running like a maniac to get in shot. What did you have, ten seconds? And you did it twice.

Were you watching me? I did have ten seconds but I think I did it three times! On the third and final time I even put on some gloves as I thought my hands looked odd ;)

Last edited:
Great image and story. Best wishes for continued success on your new path (y)

Fantastic picture - how did you go about making some money and making a go of it?

That's a great shot and a very nice (well not nice but nice outcome) story

Thanks all :)

Fantastic picture - how did you go about making some money and making a go of it?

Paul, I've enjoyed a lot of good luck but I've also worked very hard. There are a number of things that have helped me to make money from my photography which is now a considerable part of my income but the main thing (and it was by accident rather than design) is that I've never followed trends or chased honeypot shots and have always stuck rigidly to my original inspiration which is and continues to be the mountains. When I moved to Snowdonia I stopped visiting other places completely and set about getting to know the area intimately in a way no other photographer I have come across does. This has resulted in a large body of work from all over the national park in all four seasons which means I am usually the first port of call for magazine editors wanting shots of specific mountains at a particular time of year. My knowledge of Snowdonia has led to me being commissioned to write and photograph regular routes for TRAIL magazine and also my 'Photographing the Snowdonia Mountains' book for fotoVUE which I have nearly finished and should be out soon after two years of blood, sweat and tears!!!

When my ex gave me the boot I didn't know wether I was coming or going but I knew instantly that I would move to Snowdonia and dedicate myself to the mountains. In doing so I have found myself a niche and the only problem I have now is finding enough time and good weather to complete all the work I've taken on!

Thanks all :)

Paul, I've enjoyed a lot of good luck but I've also worked very hard. There are a number of things that have helped me to make money from my photography which is now a considerable part of my income but the main thing (and it was by accident rather than design) is that I've never followed trends or chased honeypot shots and have always stuck rigidly to my original inspiration which is and continues to be the mountains. When I moved to Snowdonia I stopped visiting other places completely and set about getting to know the area intimately in a way no other photographer I have come across does. This has resulted in a large body of work from all over the national park in all four seasons which means I am usually the first port of call for magazine editors wanting shots of specific mountains at a particular time of year. My knowledge of Snowdonia has led to me being commissioned to write and photograph regular routes for TRAIL magazine and also my 'Photographing the Snowdonia Mountains' book for fotoVUE which I have nearly finished and should be out soon after two years of blood, sweat and tears!!!

When my ex gave me the boot I didn't know wether I was coming or going but I knew instantly that I would move to Snowdonia and dedicate myself to the mountains. In doing so I have found myself a niche and the only problem I have now is finding enough time and good weather to complete all the work I've taken on!

Fantastic, fair play to you for making the decision to follow what you believe in and go for it and it's proved to be the right decision. Just looking at your Flickr - amazing pictures, love the homeward bound and the Llyn Cowlyd sombre mood picture.

Can only imagine how different you see the national park from season to season or even month to month.

Back