Another Filter Thread... Sorry... but could do with help!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I def need some new filters for doing landscape. I currently have a Hoya Pro 1CPL which I'm happy with. I then have a cokin 121M Grad filter. Firstly could anyone give me any info on the strength of this filter... (0.3,0.6,0.9,1.2)

Secondly I have a 24-105mm and am looking next year to buy a 17-40mm, both Canon with a filter thred of 77mm. Is an 85mm square filter system wide enough for these lenses or do I need to move to a larger (100mm system)?

I am thinking of buying a hitech set of filters (0.3,0.6,0.9) but do I really need the whole set or could I just go for the 0.6 to use for general landscapes all the time?

Finally I love these daytime shots where you see the sea like cotton candy... I know many people use a 10 stop ND for this... I have seen one and am thinking of getting it... However I've also seen a 4 stop version... would this be usefull for waterfalls etc... or is 4 stops to strong and I should go for 2 stops instread? Would the 4 stop version be good for daytime shots as I sometimes think the 10 stop shots are a little too much?

Finally could someone shed the light on the relationship between the scales (0.3,0.6, 0.9, 1.2 etc etc Vs 2xND, 4xND, 8xND etc... and both their relationships to exposure stops as this all really confuses me from system to system!

Thanks

Mark

Cannot answer all your queries, but:-
ND filters
0.3 = 1 f stop
0.6 = 2
0.9 = 3
1.8 = 6
3 = 10 f stops

Hard to say exactly what filters you should get.
The amount of water movement will dictate the shutter speed you want to achieve a good blur.
Start with a low ISO and your smallest aperture and see what shutter speed your meter suggests. Then see how many stop downs you need to get to 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/2 etc then you'll know what strength of filter to use.
Really need to experiment to get a pleasing effect.

Re the 24 - 105 lens & 85 mm filter.
Cut a square 84mm hole in a thin sheet of card and hold it in front of the lens and see if it causes vignetting at max aperture. Not deadly, but you'll get an idea.

Someone will help you with your wider lens question.

Dougie

Thanks for your reply... I have a lens holder and an 85mm grad filter so will do a test shot next weekend as busy all week...and would need to go and buy an addapter ring for 77mm as I only have a 72mm ring... however im thinking that if I upgrade to larger ones im gonna be safer especially if I get the 17-40mm lens.

The 85mm has been ok for hand holding in front of the lens... done this a bit last week... but i'd rather have them in a holder... got the odd stray finger hand holding... but if you where meant to hand hold the filters everyone would do that!

Although the 100mm are more expensive... would prob be the best choice for the grads... however still no clue what ND to get and this would be best as a screw in I think!

Mark

Someone on here gave me this link:-
http://www.discountfilmsdirect.co.uk/

Comprehensive and good prices. Just placed an order.

Also - saw a tip posted on this forum about using Blue tack to hold square filters on lenses.

No problem with 85mm filters on a 24-105 lens, you do get issues with a 10-22 past about 14-15mm.

NDx2 is one stop, NDx2 is two stops etc

Don't but Cokin unless you like purple

Ok so im going with Hitech filters for my grads by the look of it... and I think the 100mm system would be best considering im going to buy the 17-40mm in the future... Does being on full frame make a difference where this is concerned too... I'm guessing it does with the effect of vigenting(sp?) being less with acrop sensor?

How about a 10stop ND... can anyone recomend one?... or am I better just getting a 4 or six stop... again any recomendations?

M

Back