Another go with new D40

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Went out again today as the sun was dropping and managed to capture these...

DSC_0273fix.jpg

DSC_0277fix.jpg

Number 1 well off the hozizon, didnt realise untill i downloaded onto laptop, new tripod with level buble a must i think :bang:

Thanks for looking and feel free to dish out some C&C

Hi, Mike. I took the liberty of straightening and cropping your two shots. I think they are both have "good bones" but your presentation wasn't showing them off too well.

The sunset shot, as you mentioned, was crooked. So that's the first thing I changed. Then I cropped the photo to dimensions more reminiscent of a pano. This was done to reduce the amount of sky in the photo. Even though the sky was very pretty, it doesn't have a lot texture (clouds, vapor trails, etc.) thus didn't add a lot to the image. I also brightened and sharpened the beach/rocky area, where you do have texture of items of interest.

In the shot of the cove, I again cropped out the lower third of the cove, especially where the sandy edge intruded on the water from the lower left corner. I also sharpened the buildings some and cloned out a dust bunny in the sky. I also darkened the sky just a bit, and adjusted the color to remove a greenish tinge I found annoying. (That's personal taste, though...well, actually, everything I did was pretty much personal taste...:LOL:) I didn't straighten this shot, but maybe should have. Some people have a better eye for level horizons than I do...so I tend to get a bit sloppy.:LOL:

I don't know if you'll like my changes...and will be glad to remove them if you wish...but I find it easier to show someone what I would change, than to explain it in detail.

z-oceanbeach.jpg

z-cove.jpg

Both pictures cleaned up nicely didn't they? Perhaps a trip to Jessops to get a dust blower may be in order as there is a bit of crud top left.

Chris

Definitely an improvement after a little pp tlc :D

Hi, Mike. I took the liberty of straightening and cropping your two shots. I think they are both have "good bones" but your presentation wasn't showing them off too well.

The sunset shot, as you mentioned, was crooked. So that's the first thing I changed. Then I cropped the photo to dimensions more reminiscent of a pano. This was done to reduce the amount of sky in the photo. Even though the sky was very pretty, it doesn't have a lot texture (clouds, vapor trails, etc.) thus didn't add a lot to the image. I also brightened and sharpened the beach/rocky area, where you do have texture of items of interest.

In the shot of the cove, I again cropped out the lower third of the cove, especially where the sandy edge intruded on the water from the lower left corner. I also sharpened the buildings some and cloned out a dust bunny in the sky. I also darkened the sky just a bit, and adjusted the color to remove a greenish tinge I found annoying. (That's personal taste, though...well, actually, everything I did was pretty much personal taste...:LOL:) I didn't straighten this shot, but maybe should have. Some people have a better eye for level horizons than I do...so I tend to get a bit sloppy.:LOL:

I don't know if you'll like my changes...and will be glad to remove them if you wish...but I find it easier to show someone what I would change, than to explain it in detail.

Thanks for that, I think that is exactly what was required. I had a play myself today and worked out how to straighten in Photoshop, i agree completely with regard to the crop cutting out some of the pointless sky, it works great along with now having a straight shot.

The second shot im not overly happy with either bofore or after you changes so i will defo be trying that one again and maybe the other half the harbour with all the boats but im finding it hard to get the boats in focus due to them moving but when the light goes down i need a longer exposure so im a little lost on how to capture crisp clean boats in low light??

Really appreciate the advice with this one, hopefully i can use this to help me as i learn. (y)

Both pictures cleaned up nicely didn't they? Perhaps a trip to Jessops to get a dust blower may be in order as there is a bit of crud top left.

Chris

Yeah i am going to purchase a rocket blower and cleaning kit very soon

The second shot im not overly happy with either bofore or after you changes so i will defo be trying that one again and maybe the other half the harbour with all the boats but im finding it hard to get the boats in focus due to them moving but when the light goes down i need a longer exposure so im a little lost on how to capture crisp clean boats in low light??

Well...I can think of two possibilities. One would be to use a graded ND filter (dark on upper half, clear on lower half, that would help you capture a darker sky, looking more like sunset, while still keeping your shutter speed high enough to get a crisp image of the boats.

Or...you can use photoshop or photoshop elements to combine elements of two photos of the same scene, one where you have enough light to get good images of the boat(s) and a second where you have the beautiful glow in the evening sky.

Just my thoughts, anyway. There are much more sophisticated and clever photographers on the board...they will likely have better suggestions. LOL

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Well...I can think of two possibilities. One would be to use a graded ND filter (dark on upper half, clear on lower half, that would help you capture a darker sky, looking more like sunset, while still keeping your shutter speed high enough to get a crisp image of the boats.

Or...you can use photoshop or photoshop elements to combine elements of two photos of the same scene, one where you have enough light to get good images of the boat(s) and a second where you have the beautiful glow in the evening sky.

Just my thoughts, anyway. There are much more sophisticated and clever photographers on the board...they will likely have better suggestions. LOL

Best wishes!

Thanks for the advice again, i might have a look into combining 2 pics and maybe read up about filters as i know nothing about them as of yet, so much to learn and only a month ago didnt even know anything other than AUTO :thinking:

Back