Wild Another Golden Eagle

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Shot in a glimpse of late afternoon sunshine on a rather cloudy day on the Isle of Skye:

16005-1469625334-801431264c2ec44e32d9975adfa6b447.jpg

1000mm, 1/500, F8, ISO320, +1EV

Canon cloudy WB setting John?
Yes it was! But you knew that already. ;)

Just checked the data and it's showing as 6810 on the LR temp scale. I didn't see any reason to change it. What exactly is it that doesn't suit your eye with this setting Bill?

Yes it was! But you knew that already. ;)

Just checked the data and it's showing as 6810 on the LR temp scale. I didn't see any reason to change it. What exactly is it that doesn't suit your eye with this setting Bill?

I just see it as "too warm" ...... but we have had this debate before

Is the Eagle that colour - I just changed the WB and got the following

eagle.jpg

(Edit: looking at them on the net they are all different colours - was the sky blue or grey?)

Last edited:
I just see it as "too warm" ...... but we have had this debate before

Is the Eagle that colour - I just changed the WB and got the following

eagle.jpg
Its better John,but if you like a warm image thats fine ,i used to like warm images but finaly had to admit that the WB had to be right before i did anything,as said i am still myself on the road to learning with getting the WB and i have been at it for years

Possibly correct,looks to warm ,just cool it down a touch ,set the DRL white /black levels and a touch of desturation and it will look a lot better,just my opinion.

I've brought the WB down to 5k. No ideas what DRL are (Daytime Running Lights is what comes to mind) so I wonder if this suits better @den? Certainly makes the sky look a bit more inviting, I'll give you that!

16007-1469629239-e28c90c732df4ea1dc42ac6ab5fb83d3.jpg

I've brought the WB down to 5k. No ideas what DRL are (Daytime Running Lights is what comes to mind) so I wonder if this suits better @den? Certainly makes the sky look a bit more inviting, I'll give you that!

16007-1469629239-e28c90c732df4ea1dc42ac6ab5fb83d3.jpg

I suppose you could then look at the black and white points

In LR when you click on the black or white slider, hold alt down and move the slider until you see the limits to the B's and W's

then decide if the bird has any black on it that should be black and the same for white - not dark colours with a cast unless the cast was caused by the (sun) light of whatever

just throwing a few hints in - stuff they I look at and decide .. but it is only what I do

DRL is Just your white and black levels ,you can do it in lightroom on a auto setting were you double click and hold down on the slider while you hold the alt key ,it will then move the slider for you ,if your whites are showing hot just pull it back a touch manualy untill it goes ,same with the blacks ,you bring them back to what you believe is correct ,it only takes a few secs of your workflow to do ,if you google the tutorial it will make more sense when you see it,the image looks better

By the way Bill, the image at 5k is very much how the bird looks and the original image is exactly how it appears in good sunshine, hence the 'golden' name! I'm afraid your 'cool' rendition is way too cold....!! ;)

By the way Bill, the image at 5k is very much how the bird looks and the original image is exactly how it appears in good sunshine, hence the 'golden' name! I'm afraid your 'cool' rendition is way too cold....!! ;)

that's fine . just experiment and try to get what come out of the camera to be near to what you saw ............

shadows and highlights next? .......... even the mid tone ones

but some like to do "noise" first .. the logic being that there is no point in adjusting noise ....... or something like that

some like to do "noise" first .. the logic being that there is no point in adjusting noise ....... or something like that
Makes sense.....(y)

I've developed a habit of cropping first then starting at the bottom of the right menu - Lens correction, then Sharpness / Noise, then the 'Basics'. Doubtless that will all be wrong, but who is to say.

I've had a shot at playing with the adjustment brush, but not too confident with that yet.

In LR when you click on the black or white slider, hold alt down and move the slider until you see the limits to the B's and W's
What an excellent tip!! :ty:

Holding ALT down while moving the sliders has given me this:

16008-1469631109-6dc5deeab2ded05e48b2a64129683bff.jpg

WB still fixed at 5k and I can definately see an improvement over the previous version. (y)(y)(y)

What an excellent tip!! :ty:

Holding ALT down while moving the sliders has given me this:

16008-1469631109-6dc5deeab2ded05e48b2a64129683bff.jpg

WB still fixed at 5k and I can definately see an improvement over the previous version. (y)(y)(y)

but just use that as a guide - because sometime a small black area can throw you off

or a small highlight can do the same

always trust your eye at the ned of the day

the adjustment brush is magic

jpegs + LR + the adjustment brush can do 90% of what you need quickly

Back