Another Hand Luggage Query (Sorry)

Edit My Images
Yes
We are travelling with Emirates in just over three weeks time. Their website says that cabin baggage is restricted to the following dimensions - 55cm x 38cm x 20 cm. This morning (on a whim) we have bought a travel rucksack that (allegedly) is accepted in the cabins of all major airlines. However, it seems to be 2cms too big on the middle dimension. Has anybody got any recent experience of Emirates (especially on the UK / Dubai & Dubai / South Africa routes) and whether they will actually get the tape measure out? The rucksack will be primarily used for transporting my photographic equipment in a manner that doesn't make me an obvious target for every mugger between Botswana & Cape Town.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know about Emirates, but last time I left the UK by air they had a sized frame which they pushed bags through to see if they were within size limits.

Has anybody got any recent experience of Emirates (especially on the UK / Dubai & Dubai / South Africa routes) and whether they will actually get the tape measure out?
Don't rely on other people's experience. Whether or not they actually check the luggage could easily depend on factors such as how full the plane is, and you have neither knowledge nor control over that.

My advice would be to ensure that you know what you are going to do if they do check your bag and deem it to be too large or too heavy. Make sure you have a Plan B.

Don't Fly EMIRATES !! My Wife had bad experience on her First ( and LAST) fly with that Airline --- the cabin staff were rude and un-helpful on her way to Cebu, Philippines via Dubai and we are making a complaint!

Don't Fly EMIRATES !! My Wife had bad experience on her First ( and LAST) fly with that Airline --- the cabin staff were rude and un-helpful on her way to Cebu, Philippines via Dubai and we are making a complaint!

One person's poor experience does not a bad airline make.
I've travelled Emirates more times than I can remember and have not had a single problem, nor been treated any way but brilliantly.

Have a great time @Lawsyd

I also have been very happy with Emirates but would caution on breaking their 'hand luggage' rules, I have seen a lot of people commenting on flyer forums etc. that they can be VERY strict on enforcing weight and size rules for carry on (even to business customers) so you might want to be careful although if its a rucksack I am sure you can 'squeeze' it down to fit their sizing?

Sorry to hear about your problems. However, at this short notice, and with a trip booked via a travel company, we are stuck with Emirates. Whether our fights are as bad as your wife's, or not, we won't be flying long-haul again with any airline any time soon due to impending bankruptcy over a house we are buying. ;)

Is this a photographic rucksack? How is the the camera equipment going to be stored within the rucksack? Can you use a removable insert and check in the outer bag in your hold luggage?

This was one one of the reasons I went with F Stop, I can remove the ICU with the camera kit inside, put the outer bag in my hold luggage and take the zipped up ICU as carry on.

Get a photographers jacket with many many pockets just in case
This is a good idea for reducing weight and if the rucksack can be reduced in width/depth if kit is removed.

Is this a photographic rucksack? How is the the camera equipment going to be stored within the rucksack? Can you use a removable insert and check in the outer bag in your hold luggage?

This was one one of the reasons I went with F Stop, I can remove the ICU with the camera kit inside, put the outer bag in my hold luggage and take the zipped up ICU as carry on.

This is a good idea for reducing weight and if the rucksack can be reduced in width/depth if kit is removed.

It's a 'bog standard' case / rucksack. Based on advice on this site I'm leaving the Lowepro bag at home (so as to reduce the likelihood of a mugger or thief recognising the brand name & realising that the bag probably contains a lot of expensive equipment). Also, a 'normal' rucksack is better for carrying a waterproof jacket & guide books, etc, along with the photographic stuff.

I haven't flown with Emirates since 2011 for various reasons (none bad), but between 2003 and 2011, I must have flown with them 6 times a year. My hand luggage, and that of my travelling companions has always been weighed in the UK (Manchester, Birmingham and Gatwick departures), the only time it wasn't weighed was when I flew with just a regular sized womens hand bag. They were very strict with the weight limit back then, and forced me to put stuff into the hold when I was over weight.

If you're flying from SA to Bots, I have found the smaller Jo'burg - Gabs / Maun flights to have very little overhead locker height. My camera rucksack is an Amazon cheapy pretty much identical to one of the Lowepro full camera bags with a laptop compartment at the back and that is too deep to fit in. It is completely normal to check your luggage airside and it just gets stowed into the back of the plane somewhere and then returned as soon as you get off the plane in Bots.

As an aside, I have family currently in Botswana and it is looking very green and lush everywhere, hope you have a great trip (y)

Don't Fly EMIRATES !! My Wife had bad experience on her First ( and LAST) fly with that Airline

One person's poor experience does not a bad airline make.

+1. We've flown with Emirates a few times. Each journey has been a positive experience. On one flight, SWMBO decided she wanted some chocolate (Aunt Flo' visiting!) and asked the cabin crew if they had anything with chocolate in it. They gave her a tub of chocolate amaze bites.

I did some research for a magazine article recently.

- You cannot generalise. Check specific cabin limits on the website before you go.
- All airlines can and do enforce limits when needs be. You should expect to be checked
- If a flight is full, or if the particular aircraft has less on-board stowage space, you will be checked
- Airline allowances differ and while many are similar, some are significantly lower on both size and weight. Business class may be slightly higher, but not always
- Some camera bags claimed to be carry-on friendly may not be. These claims are based on US domestic airlines limits that are at the higher end. Most international airlines are similar, but not all
- The cages used for checking size tend to be slightly generous, but only a cm or two at most and don't count on it
- A jacket with big pockets for a couple of lenses is very handy - if you're wearing it, it doesn't count
- Check-in early, smile sweetly and don't get stroppy. They hold all the cards, and have heard every possible excuse a hundred times
- Have a Plan B, or you run the risk of having unprotected gear thrown in the hold

I've flown Emirates from Gatwick once or twice a year to KL since 2012. My carry-on until the last trip was within size limits - but way in excess the weight limit (camera stuff) on EVERY occasion they've been the most courteous helpful airline I could have ever travelled with. If overweight they actually give you a secondary bag to help split it down just for boarding and stowage free of charge if they deem it necessary.

On my last trip a few weeks ago - I was carrying a pixel stick which was 40 inches long - although only around 1.5kg - I knew I'd have to ask nicely - I did - and they said 'no problem'. (That was on top of my 10kg camera bag - 7kg limit)

My advice would be to show up early - not last minute - and then be friendly - and you'll be happy they'll reciprocate.

(And my ticket was Economy Flex - not Business class!)

- Check-in early, smile sweetly and don't get stroppy. They hold all the cards, and have heard every possible excuse a hundred times

This! A hundred times this!

While there are inevitably a few jobsworths, most of the staff are just doing their jobs and it's certainly not their fault if we are pushing it with weight or size, especially when we've completely failed to read the size limits. Getting stroppy will at best get you nowhere fast and at worst can see you bumped off a flight, if not banned from flying with that airline (or, apparently, at all...)

I actively avoid Ryanair but with the other airlines I have used, they all send reminders on carry-on luggage and checked luggage at the time of booking, a few days before flight, and when doing online check in.

Good website for carry-on limits to compare airlines. It seems to be accurate and is updated regularly, and also has notes on the latest restrictions for electronic stuff and other handy info.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

Note that most carry-on limits are similar on length (55-56cm) but differ by as much as 10cm on width (35-45cm) and 5cm on depth (20-25cm). Weights from 8kg to unlimited. It's very easy to exceed 8-10kg, and many roller-cases for photo equipment weigh over 4kg on their own.

Edit: kitchen scales are usually accurate and will weigh individual items up to 5kg.

Last edited:
Good website for carry-on limits to compare airlines. It seems to be accurate and is updated regularly, and also has notes on the latest restrictions for electronic stuff and other handy info.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions
That link doesn't work for me.

But at the risk of a tiny amount of self promotion, this one does:
http://lensesforhire.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/flying-with-your-photographic-equipment.html

I also have no problem with Emirates when I flying from UK to Dubai --> Hong Kong. I had a baby with me as well and they have no problem with or hand luggage, we even got a foldable stroller that they are happy for us to take on the plane.

On the way back my luggage was 6kg over and they allow that as well .....

Can't be worse then flying with United Airline right? ......

Last edited:
It really grips my s*** when people try to get on with 2 or 3 bits of hand luggage.

Check the websites, and make sure it's under size and weight.

7kg in most places across Asia

We've just come back from the states. My OH had her handbag and I had my camera backpack. Between us well under the limit for 2 bags but I was over on weight. I just made sure it didn't look heavy. Which is hard with a D810 and the nikon trinity. A D7k and kit lens and 2 grips etc etc.

However I was amazed at the amount of solid hand luggage. You know the ones that look like mini suitcases. Admittedly I don't get away that often but it used to be you take your essentials or camera's/Laptops etc onboard. NOT an extension to your suitcases.

Last edited:
I think size is no longer the only issue for Photographers. With the USA and the UK potentially banning any electronic equipment from being in the cabin and thus having to go as hold luggage. At present (as I understand it), it's only if your flight passes though a number of middle east and African countries, but I've heard (don't know how true) that in the next few months, all airlines might follow suit and ban electronic equipment from the cabin full stop. That means all camera bodies etc. might have to be checked in with just lenses (i.e. non battery powered) being allowed on.

Now sure if that is just photographic and computers or if it also refers to mobile phones, tablets etc. Anyone got any clarity on this as I'll be flying the net few months (albeit only from the UK to Italy) for my Summer holidays ?

What I heard is traveling from certain countries to US or UK is where the restriction will take place. If mobile phone and tablet is over certain size it won't let you take to the plane. This is a massive potential problem in my opinion when traveling.

Anyone got any clarity on this as I'll be flying the net few months (albeit only from the UK to Italy) for my Summer holidays ?
I think the Department for Transport's website should be regarded as definitive, don't you? After all, they make the rules.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk

The new restrictions apply only to flights from 6 specific middle-eastern countries, and they don't refer to photographic equipment.

I think the Department for Transport's website should be regarded as definitive, don't you? After all, they make the rules.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk

The new restrictions apply only to flights from 6 specific middle-eastern countries, and they don't refer to photographic equipment.

Photographic equipment is mentioned on the page, but in a big box ~2/3 of the way down, which explicitly states that you CAN take your camera in the cabin. :)

You will be fine with your baggage - one thing to ensure is batterys are correctly stored in cases. If you are worried you may be over weight ensure to stick a lens in a coat pocket! or even a body.. ive done this in the past - sometimes carrying and traveling with a jacket even if not needed can be useful !

You will be fine with your baggage - one thing to ensure is batterys are correctly stored in cases. If you are worried you may be over weight ensure to stick a lens in a coat pocket! or even a body.. ive done this in the past - sometimes carrying and traveling with a jacket even if not needed can be useful !

Photographer's waistcoats can carry a lot of gear, plenty of choice for £10-20 on ebay/Amazon. I bought one recently as they're very handy anyway for working out and about, but have never put it to the check-in test. Okay in theory (as are those walking wardrobe type coats you can buy) but a bit cheeky - I'd have a Plan B ready, or would that be a Plan C...

Back