another HDR question........

when using the HDR facility(terminology)in CS3...do you import the RAW files,or do you first have to convert them to JPEG's?

sorry for the dumb question,and i hope it makes sense :LOL:

Have you tried Photomatix Stan?
It's loads better than PS.
(Although I haven't tried to do a HDR on CS3 yet!)

Have you tried Photomatix Stan?
It's loads better than PS.
(Although I haven't tried to do a HDR on CS3 yet!)

not tried photomatrix as i don't have it andy..is it a free software or would i need to part with something there is very little of at the moment?i'm gonna give PS a try first,but i need to know wether i can import RAW files,or i need to convert to JPEG's first...anybody :help:

Jpegs or tiffs first Stan. (y)

Right, I reckon that this question is officially not dumb then!

The reason:
I had been trying with raw files, which photoshop seemed to accept, then wondering why the sodding program kept on crashing. I had assumed it was intelligent enough to convert them first (seeing as it can open raw files anyway!).
Think it is time to try again!

What I do is open the RAW file in ACR, save the JPEGs. 1 'normal, 1 over exposed and one under.
There's your 3 JPEGs, ready to be HDR'ed!

Photomatix is payware, unfortunately. But it's bloody good!
You can download the trial and give it a bash. It save the file covered in watermarks, until you register it :razz:

What I do is open the RAW file in ACR, save the JPEGs. 1 'normal, 1 over exposed and one under.
There's your 3 JPEGs, ready to be HDR'ed!

Photomatix is payware, unfortunately. But it's bloody good!
You can download the trial and give it a bash. It save the file covered in watermarks, until you register it :razz:

cheers andy...i may give the trial a go,although i don't see myself doing a lot of HDR.i went down the gower last night hoping for a decent sunset..which just didn't happen,so i composed a shot anyway,and shot a series with 3 being underexposed(at different stops)and 3 being over exposed,so all i should need to do is convert to JPEG,and run them through the HDR in CS3...i hope!!:LOL:

cheers andy...i may give the trial a go,although i don't see myself doing a lot of HDR.i went down the gower last night hoping for a decent sunset..which just didn't happen,so i composed a shot anyway,and shot a series with 3 being underexposed(at different stops)and 3 being over exposed,so all i should need to do is convert to JPEG,and run them through the HDR in CS3...i hope!!:LOL:

I never got any decent results from CS (2). Although I haven't tried 3, I must admit!

I'm afraid I argree with Andy here, photoshops about the worst way to make HDR (at least the "classic" type HDR) it's no better in CS4 that I can see, to get a half decent result takes a lot of work. try Photomatix, miles easier and better. Wayne

Back