Another help scanner suggestions thread!

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, looking to finally start developing and scanning at home. Especially for B&W film as dev+scan is about £10 a pop nowadays!

To that end, I've already got a cheapish Epson stylus printer/scanner but would like to get a fairly decent result from my scans. I'll only ever scan 135, 120 and 220 as that's all I shoot at the moment. Could I get a dedicated negative scanner that covers these films? Or should I look at a flatbed scanner instead?

My budget is about £130-£150 for a 2nd hand scanner. I've looked at the Canon 9000f and the Epson V500 as they seem to be popular choices, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

i am about to get a epson v500 too as the quality seems quite good and not too expensive for a new one.

thought about to dev B&W film at home but so far i haven't had enough confident of myself, i couldn't even load a film properly in my camera.......

A dedicated neg scanner is, in my experience, either going to be really cheap and rubbish, or really expensive & great. I use a Hasselblad thing (local studio's) that's worth a lot more money than I could ever afford, and it's great, but only really makes a big difference if you're looking for a massive amount of detail and are going to print from it. I don't think you can go wrong with a v500 though. There is a big thread about scanners in the F&C section somewhere and if that doesn't help then I'm sure someone else here will be of more use than me!

thank you for the replies. I think the V500 2nd is in my price range. Can I confirm that it handles 6x4.5 120 films pretty well?

thank you for the replies. I think the V500 2nd is in my price range. Can I confirm that it handles 6x4.5 120 films pretty well?

yes it handles medium format, up to 6x9 i think :)

It'll handle up to 6x12 I'm sure

It'll handle up to 6x12 I'm sure

You're probably right Joe, all i know is that its too small to fit 2 frames of 6x7 in :bang:

i'm just wondering if it is worth me holding off a dedicated scanner for now and use my crappy epson style printer/scanner combo for now, and focus my efforts on getting the hang of developing first? Is it still fairly easy to scan negatives in any old flatbed scanner? or do I need holders?

Holders and a light strip in the lid. The problem will be that developing and scanning/printing go hand in hand. You will soon get annoyed with crappy scans.

There's nothing like the digital bit of the chain to screw things up where film is concerned!

Back