Another laptop recommendation thread

Bit off topic for this thread but try either upgrading your router if it's the standard one from your ISP, or looking at a wireless access point or mesh wifi system.
My dell laptop is in the same room as the desktop and the signal is much better, so I think it's a problem with the hardware on the desktop instead of the ISP router

I would usually suggest an M1 MacBook Air with 16GB RAM, but there aren't any on the Apple refurb store at the moment.
Just looking at these again, would you recommend getting 16gb instead of 8gb ram for these?

Yeah I'm using a desktop but I've decided that I should have a laptop to give me the portability when I need it but most of the time it will be sitting on my desk. The WiFi strength on my current desktop is shocking, I have tried an adaptor usb thing but it didn't seem to make much difference
You can always get a powerline network adapter, but I am just a fan of hardwiring most things if I can get away with it.

I can only recommend the 16GB because that is what I have (specced up by my employer), so I cannot comment on how the 8GB version works.

I can say that the Apple silicon Macs do seem to perform better than their specs would imply, but given how they cannot be upgraded, 16GB would be a safer bet for longevity.

Go to a Apple store if you have one nearby and try one out they should have apps preinstalled too. Or you can always buy and return these if you are not happy with it.

Hello can anyone recommend a new laptop for me please, I have a budget of £1kish and it would be nice to take it on my travels but it will mainly sit on a desk in my office plugged into a monitor. It will be my editing laptop for PS, affinity photo etc, don't mind trying an apple machine but I'm more used to windows.

The first concern I have with laptops is that they can sometimes be a little more tricky to upgrade compared to a desktop. GPU is becoming pretty important these days for photo editing. If using the laptop effectively as a desktop most of the time then you'll want a bit of power so I would get a decent GPU (also decent cooling). Memory and storage is a little easier to upgrade. Gaming laptops can often be overlooked, but can offer great specs for the money.

ASUS TUF stuff are good in my experience. This one is very powerful and in budget. It's only a 1080p screen but as you say, it'll be hooked up to a main monitor most of the time. The specs are impressive: Link

A decent Lenovo one here with a higher res screen: Link

Range of AMD ones here: Link
Range of Intel ones here: Link

If you haven't already bought a laptop try a Dell Inspiron 16 plus, you can get the 2022 model for a little over £1000, 17-1200h, Nvidia 3060,16gb DDR5 Ram, 1Tb SSD and 3k screen 100%SRGB

If you haven't already bought a laptop try a Dell Inspiron 16 plus, you can get the 2022 model for a little over £1000, 17-1200h, Nvidia 3060,16gb DDR5 Ram, 1Tb SSD and 3k screen 100%SRGB
I have one of these - the screen is very nice, the only issue with it is the touchpad can be a bit temperamental - I almost always use a separate wireless mouse with mine, so it's not a problem for me, but it is worth noting.
It's also not the lightest of laptops.

Blimey! I'm still using a Dell XPS from 2011. :oops: :$

Blimey! I'm still using a Dell XPS from 2011. :oops: :$

I've just chopped in my 2014 XPS because it needed a replacement keyboard & they have become expensive & difficult to get. Having said that, pretty much any laptop from 2011 is going to be sluggish with current software, even Linux.

I've just chopped in my 2014 XPS because it needed a replacement keyboard & they have become expensive & difficult to get. Having said that, pretty much any laptop from 2011 is going to be sluggish with current software, even Linux.

Mine isn't. The only thing I have done is change the hard drive for a SSD, which admittedly does speed things up. I often think that it's the way people use their computers, running multiple windows and resource heavy software. It's always seemed counter intuitive to me. I also clean out the junk every time I use it.

Hi all, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced monitor that is compatible with an MacBook air m1 please?

Hi all, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced monitor that is compatible with an MacBook air m1 please?

Anything with a display port should be compatible unless Apple have gone back to playing lock-in again.

Look for =>99% sRGB, IPS and at least 1200 vertical pixel pitch. Check reviews too. Dell seem to do decent value monitors.

Anything with a display port should be compatible unless Apple have gone back to playing lock-in again.

Look for =>99% sRGB, IPS and at least 1200 vertical pixel pitch. Check reviews too. Dell seem to do decent value monitors.
Thank you, I was looking at the benq monitor with the screen visor, but their asking prices are crazy

I have been happy with my Philips 279P, which is currently hooked up to my M1 MBA. It has a USB connector, which can provide power to the MacBook, and has a few USB ports itself, so also acts a docking station.

I have sort of followed some of these threads and apologies if I am backtracking.

My 15 inch MBPro mid 2014 i7 16/512 is getting decidedly slow ( glacial ). Not a heavy user but I do a bit with Deepprime XD and AI Topaz. Also am having recurrent problems with the KB. Decided I need a faster machine while continuing to use various Win 10 laptops for tethering and some specific apps that aren't really available on MAC. I won't switch back to Windows machines - I just prefer Macs for general use now and photo editing ( on the go ) is just a small part of that

I used to use the MBpro with a Win7 parallels VM for work but don't need that now. All my data in use is now on fast external SSD 1 or 2 TB drives and I tend to edit from there just on Affinity, DXO PL6 etc - no LR/PS

Worth looking at: I found that Costco have a 16 inch MB Pro M1 Pro and 16/512 for £1695 with their 2 yr warranty which looks pretty nice for more serious work,

I have however decided to really really cheap out and just get the 2020 MB Air M1 8/256 from JL at £890. Not expecting fireworks from it but we shall see if it is functional. I will have to be more organised and clear out the c**p from the limited storage.

Ideally I would have wanted 16/512 and a 15 inch + screen but that pushes the price into the range of more than the aforementioned 16 inch MBpro. I quite fancy a very small laptop now to take away in our camper so 13 inch is probably about right.

We shall see if this is a really stupid mistake - I get it tomorrow,

Richard

I have sort of followed some of these threads and apologies if I am backtracking.

My 15 inch MBPro mid 2014 i7 16/512 is getting decidedly slow ( glacial ). Not a heavy user but I do a bit with Deepprime XD and AI Topaz. Also am having recurrent problems with the KB. Decided I need a faster machine while continuing to use various Win 10 laptops for tethering and some specific apps that aren't really available on MAC. I won't switch back to Windows machines - I just prefer Macs for general use now and photo editing ( on the go ) is just a small part of that

I used to use the MBpro with a Win7 parallels VM for work but don't need that now. All my data in use is now on fast external SSD 1 or 2 TB drives and I tend to edit from there just on Affinity, DXO PL6 etc - no LR/PS

Worth looking at: I found that Costco have a 16 inch MB Pro M1 Pro and 16/512 for £1695 with their 2 yr warranty which looks pretty nice for more serious work,

I have however decided to really really cheap out and just get the 2020 MB Air M1 8/256 from JL at £890. Not expecting fireworks from it but we shall see if it is functional. I will have to be more organised and clear out the c**p from the limited storage.

Ideally I would have wanted 16/512 and a 15 inch + screen but that pushes the price into the range of more than the aforementioned 16 inch MBpro. I quite fancy a very small laptop now to take away in our camper so 13 inch is probably about right.

We shall see if this is a really stupid mistake - I get it tomorrow,

Richard

Hope it works for you. After a 2014 MB if think it will be pleasantly quick, though 256 storage is stupid.

Hope it works for you. After a 2014 MB if think it will be pleasantly quick, though 256 storage is stupid.
Thanks Toni

Yes, I would agree with you - even with all/most data, docs and all media/photos ( and no parallels VMs' ) off'd to external SSD its going to be tight.

AO has an 8/512 M1 at £905 and ( since I don't like their warranty ) £179 for 3 years applecare but actually I don't like the general AO reviews so I will pass. Jl is not what it was but it still behaves reasonably when I have an issue. No Apple refurbs available at the moment.

Really is stupid putting 256 in any laptop these days though my wife's surface laptop 3 ( 2020 ) is also an 8/256

cheers

richard

Last edited:
Really is stupid putting 256 in any laptop these days though my wife's surface laptop 3 ( 2020 ) is also an 8/256

256 is more than sufficient for a lot of office work - particularly where files and work are being stored in the cloud or via VPNs. For Apple there is now an overlap with the higher end iPads and the relative cost/power/capacity and the Macbooks.

Just loaded up the M1 8/256 with all the apps I want ( and nearly all of the apps I had ) and Topaz photo ai. to boot About 180 GB ( 35 GB purgeable ) remaining - not bad. I struggled to get the MBpro ( 16/512 ) above 100 GB free but that had 3 VMs on it.

My MBpro 2014 must be seriously sick - running samples on Topaz, PL6 Deepprime XD etc are giving me workable rates - Topaz sharpening is doing model changes and export on the order of 5-10 seconds rather than 5-15 minutes ( I kid you not ) on the 2014 MBpro I7.

Usual minor hassles with upgrading - Ventura not recognising exFAT 2 TB SSD ( Sandisk ). I am backing this up to an NTFS volume then reformat to apfs.

I abandoned migration Mac to Mac - just imports a load of rubbish. Apple needs to sort to mail migration though - haven't really sorted this issue.

I am well pleased. What a nice cheap machine - and I can actually use it on my lap !! I have been just doing the machine setup for 3 hours - the battery is still on 100 % and the case is still cool.

Since this is the basement Macbook - I wonder how the "pros" perform ? - don't need any more than this delivers right now. KB and trackpad just same as on my previous MBs - brilliant - haven't even bothered to reconnect my BT Logitech mouse.

Richard

Last edited:
Back