Another long exposure, 'The Couple'

Great subject for the long exposure and you have a lovely sheen on the water.
I think a square crop would suit it well, there is a bit too much sky, even for a minimalist shot.

Neil, have to agree with Steve, but beautiful image. Going to Harwich to shoot the lighthouses in long exposure tomorrow weather permitting.

Have to agree with rveryone else well sccomplished shot, great subject for a long exposure but would definitely benefit from a square crop

Last edited:
I love this. I think some sky could go but I really like how the shadows blend right to the bottom of the frame so would keep those in assuming the crop allows, composition wise.

Conversely, I like the large amount of sky balancing the water, and doing a test crop with a sheet of paper makes the image weaker. FWIW my images tend to get critiqued for having excessive sky, but I want to see that gentle graduation of blues in an image taken on a clear day.

It's already minimalistic, and if you start cropping it there ain't gonna be much left. Elegance is one thing, and a catatonic state is another ...

Thanks all, mixed bag of opinions indeed. I actually like both the full and cropped shot! Best of both worlds!

Lovely simple image, but the 50/50 placement of the horizon doesn't work for me.
I love the colours.

That's one very nice well seen image Neil, this one I like very much.(y)

George.

That is one hell of a picture. Hell is the wrong word because it is just so serene.

Too big for my screen, so not sure what the best format is, may a 4x3 portrait.

I want to print and put it on my wall in the lounge.

Very calming, congrats...

Mj

I actually think this works very well. It could be entitled "Broken Symmetry " it's ok to break the rules in photography, but the thing to remember is there are no rules in photography, particularly when it comes to composition. ( Don't even think about quoting rule of the thirds peeps!) I think commercially this is very plausible image. It's has a definite market in health spars etc. really nice work.

Sheesh, I as going to say it's slightly soft but looking at in on Flickr it's much sharper.

I like it. Nice cool blues, wispy clouds and I did a square crop but preferred this one.

Some interesting photographs from the same location, I think, on your Flickr.

Cheers.

Very nice. Including all of sky and water when taking the shot means you can crop later but it is not always best for compositions so I try to think of the crop I want when taking the shot. If your camera has ability to use different grid overlays try that at the taking stage, you might find it helpful. I nearly always use a 1x1 or 4x5 overlay.

Sheesh, I as going to say it's slightly soft but looking at in on Flickr it's much sharper.

I like it. Nice cool blues, wispy clouds and I did a square crop but preferred this one.

Some interesting photographs from the same location, I think, on your Flickr.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.

Yes, location wise is Corton / Hopton which, at low tide, is a fantastic location for both standard and LE photography given the multiple breakwaters and sea objects that litter the shore for well over a mile. I have yet to visit at sunrise but that is certainly on the agenda when the tides are right!

Very nice. Including all of sky and water when taking the shot means you can crop later but it is not always best for compositions so I try to think of the crop I want when taking the shot. If your camera has ability to use different grid overlays try that at the taking stage, you might find it helpful. I nearly always use a 1x1 or 4x5 overlay.

Thanks for the comment and tip Jasmine - i'll check the manual!

Back