Another Low Light Pic

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Has this one got any potential? I'm undecided about it... What do you guys think?

Thanks

Chris

Electricity.jpg

I think it needs a little more emphasis/definition on the edges of the glass...

Thanks for that - I was thinking along those lines too, but how would I do that? I want to keep the black background. The only thing I can think of is some smoke of something... Any ideas?

Add another low level light source of to one side and behind the bulb but obviously out of frame..the trick is to balance that against the main subject while maintaining your black background.

flick a torch on and off once for each side, that works very well for long exposure shots like this

I was just thinking that a torch would be a good bet. Have a play from different angles, including overhead and see what you like best.

That little bit of extra light should really lift this from a bloody good idea to a great one. :)

Thanks for the ideas, everyone - I guess I'm really looking at off-camera flash or something, as the exposure I used was 1/160 at f22...

Quick and nasty edit job, but your 'black' backround is a bit messy and it would be very tedious to do it this way properly.

bulb2.jpg

A great idea and well thought out. I'm guessing you pasted the bayonet socket in separately?

I would take two shots - one just as your first, and another non- flash shot with the bulb lit by ambient light and combine the two via layers in processing.

I think it's a great idea and worth persevering with. :)

Awesome idea, CT!!! Thank you!!!

Firstly I took a pic of the bulb while it was switched off, to capture the outlines on the glass (ambient room light and my TV's 'No Signal' screen!)

Secondly I took a pic of the filament of the bulb glowing.

Then I combined the two and adjusted levels. Eventually, cloning and additional noise went to make the bayonet cap...

Hopefully you'll think it's an improvement as well. As usual, any comments gratefully received...

Electricity_II.jpg

he he... good job! :)

What a difference it makes getting a good black too.

Cheers guys!

Personally, I'm rather chuffed with that one. I know the cloning on the bayonet isn't perfect, and the blue blob is slightly out of place, maybe, but I reckon it adds a nice little bit of contrast as well as showing off the shape of the bulb.

As for the indoor stuff - I'm rather liking it, what with the weather we're having at the moment lol!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

Bugger! Just spotted the bi-weekly doo-dah thingyjig. Can I still submit this pic? ;-)

Catdaddy said:
Bugger! Just spotted the bi-weekly doo-dah thingyjig. Can I still submit this pic? ;-)

Yup you can, that’s not anonymous so you are fine with this shot. It will also set the standard me thinks :)

Its a great bit of work Chris.
The blue tone from the tv makes it for me.

I might have a play at this myself one of these days.

Back