Another missed deadline....

Edit My Images
No
...not for the competition here but for one over at a well known AV site.

There I was - out early on Monday morning as the light was rather fine.

The subject was industry so I drove down to the lovely area of Avonmouth in Bristol to see if I could snap something suitable. I was pretty pleased with the shot below but not so pleased when I went to enter it and spotted the closing date was the previous day - what I had thought was the closing date was the closing date for voting :confused:

Anyway I thought I'd share it with you good people:

industry2.jpg

'Twas taken on the D70 with 18-70 set at 18mm, 400th at F10. I didn't actually notice how nice the sky looked until I downloaded it.

Matt.

Not sure if it is an optical illusion from the horizontal pipe but something looks odd about the angle of the picture. I think the horizon is off level.

Did you take many to get that one? Looks a difficult scene to expose correctly. Certainly fits the theme.

I gave up on the site you refer to. I was there a long time but the photo section is a bit basic. There were (and possibly are still) those that are competant photographers but the 'what camera for £100?' posts seem to be its staple. If you want to grow then this forum offers much more.

RobertP said:
Not sure if it is an optical illusion from the horizontal pipe but something looks odd about the angle of the picture. I think the horizon is off level.

Did you take many to get that one? Looks a difficult scene to expose correctly. Certainly fits the theme.

Not sure about the horizon - the twin tall thin chinmeys look pretty vertical - maybe a slight left to right lean - the tower on the far right though has a clear right to left lean - possibly down to barrell distortion on the lens. Hope this doesn't sound like I'm blaming the tools ;)

Exposure was tricky as I was shooting into the sun. I took quite a few both using the camera's exposure on AP and trying a few overexposures on manual. The trouble was that as soon as I made the foreground lighter, the bright bits of the sky burnt out.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Matt.

I actually like it as it is, with a tiny bit of photoshop work on the blown out sun area it would be pretty complete.

Matt F said:
The trouble was that as soon as I made the foreground lighter, the bright bits of the sky burnt out.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Matt.

Use graduated filters or maybe shoot of a tripod and do two exposures, one for foreground and one for sky then combine them afterwards? Or as a last resort shoot raw and expose for the middle tones, then process the image twice to get both shadow and highlight details.

HTH

Back