Another Moon shot

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Sorry - I've been meaning to do this for a while but it was seeing the other Moon images on here that got me in gear. And there wasn't a Moon image on the home page as I came on.................
This morning 22/09/16
Sigma 150-600mm, 1/250 at f8, iso 100
It's too easy - I metered off the Moon, AFed off the Moon, set everything up on Manual including focus and click........
It possibly needs another tweak of the WB but the sky was very blue (makes a change after 2 days of solid overcast)

Moon in the morning by Jan, on Flickr

Nice detail Jan.

Prefer a more b/w image, reducing saturation helps....

But I don't have to tell you how to do it. Forgive me :(:(

Yes, I thought you'd all pick up on the colour, but this is how it looked for real in a really blue sky. I've tried a bit of a tweak at it but the sky turns a horrid and unrealistic colour, and I still get a 'blue' moon. I've tried saturation, WB, levels, curves - none of which I like. Maybe it's just a case of getting it in a less blue bit of sky. Tomorrow it'll be a bit closer to the Sun so that might be better - if it's clear............
Okay - not so 'easy', then :)
Nothing to forgive, btw, Mark.

I'm not going to pick up on the colour - that's exactly how the Moon looks when you're viewing it in the blue sky! The only real problem with shooting it in daylight is the lower level of contrast it shows when ambient light is higher.

The only real problem with shooting it in daylight is the lower level of contrast it shows when ambient light is higher.

Very true but I like seeing the Moon in daylight. I'll get it in the night sky eventually but I haven't seen a clear sky at night since I came back from Portugal at the beginning of the month, and I was out there to do astronomy so it was new moon............

Janny, I saw this this morning and thought like you, what a nice shot that would make.
I like the way the bottom right fades into the moon without too much "thickness" if you know what I mean.
I think you done well and showed the moon how it is and for a change it was a day shot :)

Just remembered that I had posted similar a while back, Jan. Did some playing with levels etc. to make it darker with results almost certainly similar to yours - there's a limit to options with the same subject!. My results can be seen HERE if you want to see them.

Back