Another new colour film: LomoChrome Color '92

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
This popped up on my Youtube alerts: Analog Insights review of LomoChrome Color '92

According to Lomography, it is a brand-new colour negative film emulsion rated at ISO 400 that be developed in the standard C-41 process.

Initially, it will only be available as 35mm but Lomography intends to also produce it as 120 and 110 rolls in the future.

Lomography say that the film may be used in all lighting conditions, be it daylight or tungsten, and still produce original colour representations. It comes with a rich film grain, “fascinating blue tones, clear red tones and glowing yellow tones” combined with “tender, colder undertones”. All this with good dynamic range.

Price on the Lomography website is £11.90 per 36 exposure roll before delivery charges.

Sounds promising. Reasonably priced by today's standards too.

Yeah, hopefully the price in the usual UK suppliers will be comparable.

And hopefully this is a sign that the colour film shortage is coming to an end.

Also hearing talk about Ilford (presumably Ilford Imaging and not Harman Technology) releasing a Vintage Tone 400 ISO colour negative film.

Shown as coming soon on this Australian site Kayell Queensland

Reactions: Jao
And hopefully this is a sign that the colour film shortage is coming to an end.
I'm sure that more choice of film is a good thing. But it can only result in greater supply / fewer shortages if there is actually a new production facility. I'm sceptical as to whether Lomography have actually manufactured this film themselves, because creating a new plant to make colour film is a decidedly non-trivial endeavour. More likely they have given a spec to an existing supplier (and who can that feasibly be except Kodak?) .... and if the existing film manufacturers cannot keep up with demand for their own products, how would the supply of LomoChome Colour 92 be assured?

True, but from various comments it seemed that part of the problem was shortages of components, eg the metal caps Kodak bought in for the 35mm cassettes, so if these sorts of supply constraints are being resolved it maybe possible for production to increase somewhat without new facilities.

It does look like Kodak are the main facility for colour film, Fuji seemed to have given up making film and are using Kodak. The only other producer I know of is Inoviscoat but they seem to be having there their own issues at the moment and it's not clear how consistent their production is. The position in the former Soviet Union is also unclear to me.

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited:
Also hearing talk about Ilford (presumably Ilford Imaging and not Harman Technology) releasing a Vintage Tone 400 ISO colour negative film.

Shown as coming soon on this Australian site Kayell Queensland

Now that I would like to see.

Brand new, cinestill did the same with their 400D, who is making this film, there must be only a handful of factories capable of doing this and even though they don't need to it would be great if they were more transparent with who is making it as it would give me confidence they will continue. Word of the street is the new Ilford is simply the Orwo NC film

I'm sure that more choice of film is a good thing. But it can only result in greater supply / fewer shortages if there is actually a new production facility. I'm sceptical as to whether Lomography have actually manufactured this film themselves, because creating a new plant to make colour film is a decidedly non-trivial endeavour. More likely they have given a spec to an existing supplier (and who can that feasibly be except Kodak?) .... and if the existing film manufacturers cannot keep up with demand for their own products, how would the supply of LomoChome Colour 92 be assured?
I think I read that it's a "limited edition", so I assume they've bought a bulk roll of whatever it is and when it's gone, it's gone.
True, but from various comments it seemed that part of the problem was shortages of components, eg the metal caps Kodak bought in for the 35mm cassettes, so if these sorts of supply constraints are being resolved it maybe possible for production to increase somewhat without new facilities.

It does look like Kodak are the main facility for colour film, Fuji seemed to have given up making film and are using Kodak. The only other producer I know of is Inoviscoat but they seem to be having there their own issues at the moment and it's not clear how consistent their production is. The position in the former Soviet Union is also unclear to me.

I've also read recently that Fuji are about to re-start production on Superia (Superia 400 Xtra was allegedly being manufactured by Kodak for a while under the brand Fujifilm 400 or something, which was just Ultramax 400). Hopefully they'll restart production on C200 as well.

Back