Another newbie wants advice

Lots of programs gathered over the years, im not a photoshop fan but do have it. Mostly use the old paintshop pro 9.1 before it was bought out.

But dont want to edit, i dont need to sell anything so camera must get it right

I cant do a lot of physical work because of ill heath, i get about with electric scooters and a wheelchair with the help of my wife, married 45 years...

I dont mind at all paying the price if the product is worth it, wedding anniversary coming up soon and buying an expensive lens for the xyl wont be appreciated :cool:

I will have all the lenses once i know what im doing, else make costly mistakes.

Finally got the wifi to work its all done with the app and you need to keep on trying it fails lots of times

:nikon:

Last edited:
Don't use 'Photoshop'. Adobe Lightroom is their image processor - their digital darkroom. Photoshop is quite unsuited to that kind of work.

But dont want to edit, i dont need to sell anything so camera must get it right

I'm inclined to suggest if that's the case then you should probably try to return the camera now and rely on your phone, or buy a zoom compact like your son's. Seriously.

I appreciate the physical difficulty, but the camera is extremely limited in its ability to 'fix' an image, much less so than your phone. Photographers have been 'cheating' for years in the darkroom, and the image creation process only starts when you press the shutter button. Almost none of the amazing shots you see on TP are straight out of camera.

And congrats on the anniversary.

Last edited:
Well what i got goes against what you said. Im getting great results, i can print them direct from the phone or upload them to social media. I dont need to edit any of them.

That said i dont have macro or zoom or telephoto or a lens that might be more expensive but do better than what i got... the rain photo, still not rained so can comment.

I have today learned to blur background and step back or forward or have the person move more away than background to get a good effect.

Dont need no editor unless i need to blur out a face or crop something out, so paint shop pro does what i want.

No not a professional photographer making a living out of this, just a hobby.

So wont be returning anything its working very good and nothing wrong in looking at improving it more.

Last edited:
Well what i got hoes against what you said. Im getting great results, i can print them direct from the phone or upload them to social media. I dont need to edit any of them.

That said i dont have macro zoom or telephoto or a lens that might be more expansive but do better than what i got... the rain photo, still not rained so can comment.
I have tiday learned to blur background and step back ir toward or have tge person move more away thsn background to get a good effect.

Dont need no editor unless i need to blur out a face or crop something out, so paint shop pro does what i want.

No not a professional photographer msking a living out of this, just a hobby.

So wont be returning anything its working very goid and nothing wrong in looking at improving it more.

In that case congrats, I'm pleased it's working as you wish.

Thanks, dont help though if wanting to improve it more

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300 mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens on its way, decided this might do close up and zoom, good reports so will give it a try and see if i need more

Last edited:
Hi, ive always liked taking photos, mostly via a mobile phone these days.

My son just bought a Nikon P900 and posted some zoom shots of birds with it, i was impressed.

So hes got me interested in buying a camera, i ask him to take some general photos, this he does. But they are nothing special at all ?

So why is that camera taking fantastic zoom photos of birds, but my moble phone take better general photos

It is a telephone first and foremost. The mobile phone's main and primary job is a communications device. It is a telephone that over the years became portable for you to carry around, it ended up taking on the job of an address book, diary, and a calculator. Then it ends up taking over fax by using email instead of paper, then became a portable camera for snapshots, then a portable computer. It is really a phone first, all other stuff including camera, second. It is built to be a communications means, so manufactures do their best to improve it.

The built in camera had became so good that it is very good at most of the general photography.

A Nikon Coolpix P900 on the other hand, it is what it is supposed to be, a camera. A proper camera, so it got more lenses in it, more machine parts designed to deal with photography build into it, it is designed to be able to do more than general photography.

Mobile phones with good built in cameras can do a lot of photography, but a cameras can do far more than mobile phones.

That's why.

Think most mobile phones spend much more time doing other things than making phone calls.

The nokia 1020 with 44mp camera sold well for its camera not for how good it made calls.

The new nokia 8 had a new dual bothy, where it took a photo and included the person taking the rhe photo.

This Samsung Galaxy S9+ has spent hours making photos and videos, far more than making phone calls.

Yes they take better and better photos, but they wont match a DSLR but this phone will still be used for photos, in my pocket all the time.

Today made a few videos with the Nikon D5600, nothing like ive ever made before, very high quality and clear, hope to do even better with the new lens.

The P900 takes great zoom photos, but its not got the quality most dslr have for normal photos, but 2000 zoom it does what he wants, i want to be able to do a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Nice

Attachments

• DSC_0794.JPG
    DSC_0794.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 35
Our son had a 1020 for a while, and it came supplied with a camera grip including extra batteries and proper shutter release. I came close to buying an 880, but it was relatively poor as anything but a camera.

Smartphones are mobile computing devices, and calling them phones is really just a nod to legacy in language and a way of differentiating them from bigger tablet devices. Provided one remembers that then there is no tension.

Oh i have Samsung tab 4, totally naff at taking photos not a lot more to say, they hsve some use, but my laptop or pc i built does much more, could mske a video call on it too.

Im dealing with the unknown, i already researched and found the new lens i bought will be a better default lens, even though its heavy and bulky, it is proving to be a better all around lens, but i still might need some special lenses to improve things even more, perhaps the Nikon 105mm macro and perhaps the new P1000 with its 3000 zoom will enhance those two things

John - I've owned and still have superzooms, but to be absolutely honest they're not good at anything and a lot of the time they're not even OK. Some love them, but for me, the compromises in image quality (both sharpness and rendering) and poor light-gathering are greater than the benefit of having everything in a single lens.

I think you can make a good argument for superzooms. I think they make great day out and holiday do it all lenses/cameras and it only really falls down when you go looking for problems. Years ago I had a Sigma 28-300mm and it was a relatively poor lens but I took some of my favourite pictures with that lens and looking at them as whole pictures is a different thing to examining them for softness and distortion.

I don't have that lens and more but I do have a 1" sensor camera with a 25-250mm lens and it's the same story, the lens is soft at various focal lengths but as a day out and holiday camera it's great and can get me very nice pictures as long as I don't go hunting for problems.

I suppose superzoom v shorter range zooms or even primes is a bit like the phone camera v dedicated camera issue. Whole pictures viewed normally can look very nice and it's maybe only when we look closely or push the envelope of what's possible with the kit that the higher end kit pulls ahead and even then maybe only when we look for the problems rather than at the whole picture.

Just my VHO :D

Well at the time i seen my sons Nikon P900 photos I didn't have my own camera and the only thing i can compare with is the phones camera, so more professional people might look at his photos and find faults.

When i looked at the photos of birds he had taken, they were very close, very clear and too me looked good.

He was trying to tell me i should stay away from dslr and the complexity of adding lens.

Jealously

He is 45 years old, and thinks of me as an old man at 66 ha ha, but ive tought him everything he knows, but he forget that.

So although i liked those zoom photos, i asked him to take normal photos, also take some in the rain. And thus the photos taken were naff

So apart from buying the P1000 for its increased range, its not a camera for general photos.

Think he wishes he had bought a dslr as he cant change anything now, not even a flash stub on it. So a very special type of camera for zoom photos, but he also needs to learn how to use it, only had it a week.

So i bought the D5600, just so i dont waste money on a better one, and concentrate on good lenses for it later. But you know as times goes on and it's my birthday or Christmas i might get a better canera when i know what im doing.

But right now, 12 march the plan is to buy the new P1000 for my wife

We dont have the right weather for some good photos, im struggling to find interesting things too.

I plan on visiting the seaside soon, im from Port Talbot so will visit the beaches, rocks, fair and take some interesting photos, if the sun is out it will be good.

Last edited:
TBH it's possible to take great photos on that P900. A DSLR will only make a difference when you start to manipulate images, either through direct control of the camera or afterwards in software and in other more subtle ways. Point both cameras at a dull scene and they'll return dull photos. ;)

Hopefully you'll find handling the D5600 inspirational enough to find exciting things to point it at. :)

There's no shortage of things around the Port Talbot area to point your camera at. You've got Kenfig Sands just down the road for a spot of birding or landscape.

You know kenfig pool.? Spent all my school years visiting there. Would be nice to take new photos there, previous photos would have been a kodak instermatic or some other film camra. I need good weather to visit, 150 miles from me

I know Kenfig Pool well. Where are you living now? I assumed you were still in Port Talbot. If the members know where you are they may be able to point you in the right direction.

No, moved to England after leaving school, gor married had 4 kids now retired. I often go back to my old haunts, at first taking my own kids around my play places, now they are all grown up and left home we are going to enjoy visiting my old places but this time with a great camera to take even better photos.

Its going to be a long trial, i may see problems and need to upgrade equipment again.

Aberavon beach, Porthcawl, Swansea, Port Talbot. But also have an interest in steam trains, visited many lines that have them, they will be great places to take interesting photos

Chasewater railway is a great place to visit, Llangollen also great

Last edited:
Ok, all about rain photos, and today it wasn't the bright background, but dark things behind it, i like what ive done, first time ive seen the rain in a photo. Ah only 3 files allowed well first grey car shows a nice photo of the rain against the dark car. Then i try to capture with other backgrounds, got some rain on the roof gutter, finally straght into light sky, lots of dots but no streaks. Pleased so far.. Ha ha needed to compress right down to get them on here, but still goodDSC_1208.JPGDSC_1211.JPGDSC_1212.JPG

others
DSC_1213.JPGDSC_1215.JPG

Last edited:
Anybody got some nice rain covers :) all done on auto at different zooms

Last edited:
I usually find I can get an image 1200px on the long side at 71 jpg compression to load OK.

Well done for persisting with your experimentation. You can see that you need the raindrops to be lit in such a way to make them stand out against the background. The images above that don't work (1 & 3) are as useful as those that do.

Yep, learning slowly, soon be able to look at things and know what I must find to get a good shot, all these were shot with me sitting in my car, pointing out the open window :) I already have wet clothing for when Im on a mobility scooter, so now need some protection for the camera. Thats said the car park isnt the best place to take these photos, need trees open fields perhaps, so by the time I go to those places I hope to be ready. And perhaps move away from auto if I can do better. Right now xyl birthday coming on 12th :) but after that need a macro lens and that p1000 telephoto I think

Yes 1-3 totally lost it, recovered though

Last edited:
Back