Another Nuthatch

Edit My Images
Yes
Another Nuthatch from Belvide ...

ISO6400

287_089.jpg

Super image!
Especially considering the high ISO you had to use.

Typical Nutty pose Martyn with great detail, colour, and good composition, a lovely shot indeed (y)

I like that one a lot Martyn, everything about it looks as natural as possible imo :clap::clap:

Cracking.

Care to share your camera settings and processing secrets to get this sort of quality ?

Martyn the retention of detail at such an high ISO is unbelievable.
Pin sharp and well framed.
Paul.

Again thanks, and to answer a few questions:-

The trick with high ISO is to expose to the right, or in simple terms err on the side of over exposing, rather than under exposing, the best way I have found to achieve this is by spot metering.

Not sure if this makes any difference but I never use AWB, always have it set to Sunny, admittedly shooting raw means I can switch this later, but I rarely do.

As for settings this was 700mm (500 f4 + 1.4TC) @ f5.6 which is wide open, that makes it all the more impressive :D

Now I also ran this through Noiseware, more to clean up the dark background, but that was done on default.

So there you have it .... simples (y)

Just to add, there are some useful pointers on this thread HERE regarding PP, post #14 is how I sharpen for the web

Yep - the D700 is fab at high ISO and great at still resolving detail with the TC and light years ahead of my trusty old D300. Imagine what you could do with a D3S...!!!
Can you send any spare nuthatches you have down to East Anglia please so we can have a go too :)

As for settings this was 700mm (500 f4 + 1.4TC) @ f5.6 which is wide open, that makes it all the more impressive :D

No Martyn, that makes it all the more expensive :D Thanks for the tips also, I might have a play with higher ISO`s on mine as it is something I have not really touched upon too much. I was under the impression that the Nikons do handle it better than Canon but let me experiment and I will get back to you ;)

No Martyn, that makes it all the more expensive :D Thanks for the tips also, I might have a play with higher ISO`s on mine as it is something I have not really touched upon too much. I was under the impression that the Nikons do handle it better than Canon but let me experiment and I will get back to you ;)

There is of course an element of skill required :D

Very nice indeed Martyn , pose is spot on (y)

Very tidy image Martyn followed by some good advice I'll try as my high ISO shots leave a lot to be desired.
John

Back