Another one bites the dust...

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Didn't quite make it 2 years; might be a new record for me.

I had nestled it on top of a padded case in the trunk (also full of camera gear). But it shifted on the drive home (unexpected swerve); and it fell out onto my cement drive when I lifted the tailgate hatch.

The lens mount ripped off and jammed onto the FTZ. Two of the mount lugs broke out, the other two stripped out. I was able to get the mount off of the FTZ without too much trouble, it's twisted; and the FTZ seems ok but I can't test it. The protective glass over the viewfinder is also smashed, but I can't see how/why; there's no surrounding damage/signs of impact... I'm guessing it was just the shock.
So a new front shell main frame and viewfinder glass at a minimum. The generic estimate is $597 with return shipping but I don't believe it; I'm guessing more like $1500-2000. Insurance will cover it, but it looks like I'll be using the D850 as my main camera for a while... probably a long while
1f641.png

The lens seems fine; which is good because it was just repaired a year or so ago (400/2.8, focus motor, ~$800, insurance also covered that).

Yes, it would have been better off in a padded case; IF that case had also been secured.

Z9lensMountSm.jpgZ9lensMountLugsSm.jpgZ9viewfinderGlassSm.jpg

Oh boy, that sounds painful & expensive. Good job you got insurance.

Back