Another pretty easy DIY product (tripod strap mounts)

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Quite a while ago I shared a tip on how you can use almost any camera strap with a tripod, and I've been using that for many years now. But I wanted something that could be quickly removed and leave minimal stuff behind to get wet/muddy/flap/etc.
So with quite a bit of experimenting I came up with these attachment point straps... I tried a variety of buckles/adjusters/webbings etc. The D-ring buckle is great in that it's very easy to loosen/tighten/reposition with one hand, plus the way the webbing is routed through them it prevents any direct contact of hard parts (Delrin/CF). And I found a source for webbing with rubber strands woven in, which works better overall than PVC/urethane coated webbings IMO (but those can be used as well).
With a few basic components easily sourced, and a decent sewing machine (heavy thread and some very basic skills), pretty much anyone can make these.

This is the version that will accept straps with snap clip ends or any loop type anchor.
DSCF2593-Edit.jpg

And this is the version I'm using with PD anchors sewn directly into them (secured with double bar tacks)... I'm using them with a shortened PD slide lite currently.
DSCF2596-Edit.jpg

It's still pretty early yet so I don't have long term wear/durability information, but I have been using them with my heaviest gear (around 22lb/10kg) without issue for a while.
I'm considering gettin in touch w/ PD for a large purchase of anchors... this is a perfect use/application for the recalled V3 anchors; maybe I can get a deal...

Last edited:
Back