Another rucksack thread...

Name
Col
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone suggest a decent rear loading rucksack that would allow me to put a padded icu type thing in? I can find loads of normal top loading and front loading bags that look great but i would much prefer to be able to access camera gear easily and not have to put the back of the bag on muddy ground and then onto my back again. I know mammut used to do one that got recommended on here by a couple of folks but they appear to have been superseded now.

Cheers

Col

Why not just get one of these?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Flipside-400-Camera-Backpack/dp/B073C7Z3K5

I got one a few months ago and it does just that. I use it in a wheelchair and mount it on my chest - all I have to do is drop off the shoulder straps and it sits securely on my lap for easy access. However, the design is such that you don't have to transfer dirt to your back plus it gives a little extra security.

I couldn't be bothered with an ICU. IMO it often works out dearer anyway.

apologies, i want the capacity to be able to carry none camera gear too, the intended use is for days walking where i will need to carry food, drink, waterproofs and possibly other bits depending on whether i have the pooches with me. I am thinking something in the region of a 40-45 litre. My current bad is a lowepro primus aw and the capacity isn't really enough either in the camera section or the none camera bit.

The bag i am quite taken with is the mindshift rotation pro as it looks ideal for what i would be carrying but its very expensive. I don't like the look of the straps on the lowepro whistler bags as they are really thin and look like they would get pretty tiring after a few hours

Last edited:
Atlas Adventure. Super pack. Massive. Will carry my medium format film stuff as well as fuji digital, lunch, waterproofs, tripod, and just about anything else. Has an "origami" insert so you can trade out camera space for backpack space. I did a review on here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/atlas-bags.687631/

Smaller (if you're in mirrorless land) would be a Dakine Poacher. I used mine with a Yimidear insert off Amazon. Carried 2 Fuji X bodies + lenses as well as waterproofs and lunch.

Both are rear opening (the latter is a ski pack) which I completely agree with you is a real boon.

I have 2 bags that I use dependant on needs. One is the Mindshift Rotation Panorama, the other is the FStop Ajna. Both are fantastic bags. The Ajna gets used for longer days out where I need maybe an extra jumper or to pack a waterproof along with a few snacks. I would say that the Mindshift Pro is probably an equivalent but without the removable ICU. If I were to buy again I would probably opt for the Mindshift Pro as its great to be able to get at gear easily without having to remove the shoulder straps

Craikeybaby, only issues i have with the f stop bags are the availability and cost, i have also heard reports in the last year or so that build quality isn't as good as it used to be which puts me off them.

Harlequin, that bag if as you say is about the same sort of size as a sukha would be too big, i tend to do day hikes so i think something in the region of a 36-40l pack should be about right but thanks for the suggestion as they are a company i had never even heard of until now and do look very well made.

Chris, that is good to know regarding the mindshift pro compared to the ajna. I have tried the mindshift at a couple of camera show type events and always been very impressed with it but just balked at the price but i am starting to think it may just be a case of get over it and get the right tool for the job rather than trying to fudge together a different solution.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

i think something in the region of a 36-40l pack should be about right

Whereabouts are you Col? Reason I ask is that I'm not using my Poacher (45l I think) and if you're local to CW8 postcode you could pop over and have a look. I'd be happy to let go of it 2nd hand (if you're interested though I'd need to open a classified thread) but if you want new it might give you an idea of what you're buying. Obviously no point if you're miles away, but thought I'd ask anyway.

@keeweeman i can understand the comment about f stop build quality not being as good as it. For their ICUs I feel that’s warranted. I’ve noticed the newer icus aren’t as well built regarding the internal liner but I only set the dividers up once as I have several ICUs to swap in and out. The newer bags feel like they are made from better more robust material than their older bags. The material change makes it harder to judge build quality.

Have you thought of a hiking bag? I have an Osprey Stratos 24 (a friend as the 34 version) that fits a f stop small shallow ICU in quite well. The design of curved so the harness side doesn’t lay on the floor. Either the base or front lays on the floor. Works quite well for walking long distances or up mountains. The lower quality access is off set by the better harness and weight distribution.

@Harlequin565 i am on the wirral so not actually too far away, having just googled the bag the shoulder straps look quite similar to those on the lowe pro whistler which i suspect will get pretty uncomfortable during the course of a days walking due to the lack of padding.

@rob-nikon ahhh i see regarding f-stop, i had heard that the build quality of the bags had suffered possibly due to them trying to keep up with demand and rushing them but it may have been a temporary issue while they cleared a backlog. In terms of the hiking pack that was what i was thinking with the original post but ideally i want to maintain rear access to the bag and not have to unload the bag just to get to my camera gear

I use a LowePro flipside 500AW.

Carries 7D2, 10-22, 70-200f2.8, x2 extender, mavic pro x 3batts. Extra camera batteries, filter pouch on the side, mini flask, water bottle in side pockets. Hat n gloves, two head torches, more batteries in front pocket.

Strapped to top in a drybag is large down jacket, Deluge waterproof trousers, eVent shell.

Full size carbon tripod on front, bagged crampons attached to that.

That's for a winter night ascent in Glencoe.

Last edited:
I use a LowePro flipside 500AW.

Carries 7D2, 10-22, 70-200f2.8, x2 extender, mavic pro x 3batts. Extra camera batteries, filter pouch on the side, mini flask, water bottle in side pockets. Hat n gloves, two head torches, more batteries in front pocket.

Strapped to top in a drybag is large down jacket, Deluge waterproof trousers, eVent shell.

Full size carbon tripod on front, bagged crampons attached to that.

That's for a winter night ascent in Glencoe.

Wouldn't work for me sorry, there isn't enough storage in that bag for none camera kit looking at it. Like i say i need to factor in days where i will take the dogs with me so stuff like collapsible water bowls and extra water as well as my own kit. I don't tend to take vast amounts of camera gear when out doing a landscape day so a whole bag for that stuff is overkill. Thanks for the suggestion though

[

@rob-nikon ahhh i see regarding f-stop, i had heard that the build quality of the bags had suffered possibly due to them trying to keep up with demand and rushing them but it may have been a temporary issue while they cleared a backlog. In terms of the hiking pack that was what i was thinking with the original post but ideally i want to maintain rear access to the bag and not have to unload the bag just to get to my camera gear

I didn’t get any kit around that time so can’t say if there was a problem or not. There was a point where ordered where taking a long time to ship. Ive never purchased directly from f stop as European sellers like camera.nl and alpinetrek were quicker to ship. I used paramo whilst they stocked them.

I understand the benefit of a rear access camera bag over a hiking bag. It’s definitely a trade off between good access and good harnesses/weight distribution. F stop bags are better than normal camera bags regarding carrying comfort but they don’t touch proper hiking bags for carrying comfort. It’s definitely a tough choice/decision.

That could be an option, i had forgotten about side entry bags! Absurd as that is too since my current one has a side access panel too.
I have one of those too. A cheap insert from ebay fits nicely in the side entry and i can get camera and lenses in and out without removing it.

I have one of these Lowe alpine airzone pro 35-45
Its a top entry bag but the left side has a large side entry zip and i put a lowepro camera bag in it and plenty of room for other walking kit above

Bit of an update on this front, i was in a shop over the weekend looking for something else altogether and they had one of these on the shelf so i had a bit of a look at it, could be an option in fairness. If i could find an icu that would allow easy access to everything from the side (rather than face on) then it could well work. I think i still prefer the mindshift overall but if this could be found for sensible money with the icu then it has jumped up the list of alternatives. Thanks for the recommendation!

I didn’t get any kit around that time so can’t say if there was a problem or not. There was a point where ordered where taking a long time to ship. Ive never purchased directly from f stop as European sellers like camera.nl and alpinetrek were quicker to ship. I used paramo whilst they stocked them.

I understand the benefit of a rear access camera bag over a hiking bag. It’s definitely a trade off between good access and good harnesses/weight distribution. F stop bags are better than normal camera bags regarding carrying comfort but they don’t touch proper hiking bags for carrying comfort. It’s definitely a tough choice/decision.

That is one of the better comments i have heard about f-stop bags, most of the comments i hear wax lyrical about how great they are so to hear some context about how they fare against proper hiking bags rather than just against other camera bags.

@Unlocker that looks like it is just a camera bag going off the pictures, not really any room for anything else and also about 50 quid more than the mindshift bag comes in at sorry

apologies, i want the capacity to be able to carry none camera gear too, the intended use is for days walking where i will need to carry food, drink, waterproofs and possibly other bits depending on whether i have the pooches with me. I am thinking something in the region of a 40-45 litre. My current bad is a lowepro primus aw and the capacity isn't really enough either in the camera section or the none camera bit.

The bag i am quite taken with is the mindshift rotation pro as it looks ideal for what i would be carrying but its very expensive. I don't like the look of the straps on the lowepro whistler bags as they are really thin and look like they would get pretty tiring after a few hours

I was very keen on the Mindshift Rotation bags and really wanted to like it. The problem is that it has virtually NO pockets (zipped or otherwise) for minor items like batteries, cards, lens caps, etc, etc that I imagine most photographers carry with them. This seems to be a "feature" of other Mindshift bags I have seen.

As far as F-stop bags are concerned, and presumably any bag with an "insertable" camera equipment section, there will always be a gap between the body of the bag and the ICU through which minor items such as those mentioned above will slide and disappear.

But my F-stop guru dooes have a good selection of small pockets that the Mindshift bags just don't have.

Last edited:
I use the flipside 500 (or is it 550?) anyway I get two bodies, 35mm 50mm 70-200mm 28-70 (on one body) x2 flashguns, video light, mike, external viewfinder gopro, plus groundsheet, 1.75ltr water bottle, small stove and cooking pot and brew kit.
Thats not counting batteries, first aid, towel and all the other small odds and ends we normally carry in the front pocket.
And I can tie on my gortex bivibag to the top if I need it.
Then finally you can bung a tripod on the back (I don't often carry it like that tough).
Seriously it holds a lot of stuff,.
For what it's worth I wont carry liquid inside a bag with cameras, it's always on the outside pocket, I've seen too many bottles leak even stainless steel good quality ones.
Oh yes, it is "jolly" heavy (replace jolly with naughty word) ;)

I have one of these.
Works for me.
It's a Manfrotto. It loads from all sides depending on the size of the item.
pro-light_manfrotto_redbee_310_mb-pl-bp-r-310_cardboard1.jpg

Last edited:
@jerry12953 which mindshift rotation is it that you have? The pro looks does have some pockets that would work for that sort of thing but i know some of the other models are a lot more basic.

@swanseamale47 how does it fare over longer durations carrying the weight? Looking at it the straps look similar to the whistler and as such pretty unpadded which concerns me, it also looks very flat backed which makes me wonder how well it fits the contours of your back whereas a lot of bags now have padding either side of the spine in order to aid comfort too. Just looking for your thoughts on those bits really.

@jerry12953 which mindshift rotation is it that you have? The pro looks does have some pockets that would work for that sort of thing but i know some of the other models are a lot more basic.

@swanseamale47 how does it fare over longer durations carrying the weight? Looking at it the straps look similar to the whistler and as such pretty unpadded which concerns me, it also looks very flat backed which makes me wonder how well it fits the contours of your back whereas a lot of bags now have padding either side of the spine in order to aid comfort too. Just looking for your thoughts on those bits really.
Well I've had it a good while now (year maybe) and we have 3 of the smaller aw400 for maybe 2/3 years or so, no problems with any so far. I find them quite comfortable even on a good wander. The 500 is used most days and the 400's used a few times a week.
I have to admit I was worried about the straps at first, especially as I have a habit of slinging it on one shoulder to move it around from the car or at weddings ect. But despite the weight (and I do go well over the top if I'm honest) it's been fine so far. The built in waterproof cover is also VERY good. Been caught out a few times, I was litterally soaked through, cameras in bag dry as a bone.
If it died I'd be buying another no problems. The 400 is a tad too small for my taste, I could get 2 bodies and the same lens in but I'd have to loose the video light and a flash, plus the bag is thinner so the tele is a bit tight upright, and if I lay it down I'd have to loose other stuff too.

Well I've had it a good while now (year maybe) and we have 3 of the smaller aw400 for maybe 2/3 years or so, no problems with any so far. I find them quite comfortable even on a good wander. The 500 is used most days and the 400's used a few times a week.
I have to admit I was worried about the straps at first, especially as I have a habit of slinging it on one shoulder to move it around from the car or at weddings ect. But despite the weight (and I do go well over the top if I'm honest) it's been fine so far. The built in waterproof cover is also VERY good. Been caught out a few times, I was litterally soaked through, cameras in bag dry as a bone.
If it died I'd be buying another no problems. The 400 is a tad too small for my taste, I could get 2 bodies and the same lens in but I'd have to loose the video light and a flash, plus the bag is thinner so the tele is a bit tight upright, and if I lay it down I'd have to loose other stuff too.

Ok sounds positive thanks, for me the camera gear i would be typically carrying would be single body and eventually 2-3 lenses in the realms of a 16-35, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8, tripod, filters and a couple of spare batteries and cards so not overkill on that front. It's then the rest of the stuff that is needed for a days walking so waterproofs, hydration, food and anything needed for the pooches if they are with us too.

Had the same dilemma with my landscape kit as the OP. Looked at several of the mentioned camera bags in this thread decided in the end to use my Osprey Kestrel 45ltr plus a tenba BYO13 insert. Really happy with the setup the rucksack is very comfortable loaded, room in other pockets for my lee filter pouch a raincoat etc.

My osprey rucksack with the Tenba BYOB 13 insert fits all the kit I need for my landscape kit. I like many looked at the cost and benefit I would gain buying a high end "camera rucksack" If I am using the camera in the area of muddy ground and need to place the rucksack down I use a high tech solution to overcome this ------- a black bin bag!

Currently, I can fit into the Tenba

Canon 80D with l plate attached
Canon 10-18
Canon 15-85
Canon 70-200 F4IS
Batteries and remote trigger.

I normally leave the 10-18 attached and sometimes only take two lenses out with me. I have been using this setup for 6 months and found it works for me but may not suit everyone, the bonus is I am able to strap my rather large Induro tripod to the rear of the rucksack.

A couple of links below to how I ended up making the decision I went for as I already had the rucksack the cost for the tenba insert was a cheap solution. If you have a mirrorless kit you can downgrade rucksack size to something more suitable

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDu7ylEr3xg

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/30/camera-specific-outdoor-packs-suck-heres-use-instead/

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/...VhBh9Ch397wbZEAQYBCABEgL26fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tenba.com/products/accessories-byob

Last edited:
@Unlocker that looks like it is just a camera bag going off the pictures, not really any room for anything else and also about 50 quid more than the mindshift bag comes in at sorry[/QUOTE]

The camera insert comes out and the top is expandable to take loads more gear, what's not to like?!

It's worth having a look at a couple of youtube videos to get a better idea.

I wanted a Mindshift but it was too much money!
I have the Manfrotto Off Road 30L, and it is good for non-camera gear and has some useful pockets, but the camera section is a tad small - Sony A7R3 with 24-70 GM in one part and 70-200 GM in the other and it's full. I usually end up with one other lens in a pouch in the top section.
I also use the Gitzo Adventury 30L which is much better, and has a drybag over the top of the camera section which is reasonably sized and loads from the back. There is also a 45L version for those strong people with lots of camera gear and walking kit.

It was the Horizon. I spent some time on the www looking for inserts which would compensate for the lack of pockets but realised that nothing would make up for the lack of proper, sewn-in, pcockets with or without zips. So I sent it back to the retailer for a refund.

I also bought a second-hand Ultralight Dual 36L in the classifieds here. It has a photo kit insert and side access but I haven't yet used it. It suffers from the same problem. No pockets, zipped or otherwise, for minor items which will otherwise float around in the bag and either fall out or get in the way. (Although it does have one very useful-looking pocket on the hip belt).

If you're interested in that you can have it at the price i paid (£65), BTW .

In my opinion you can't beat a proper two-compartment bag with the two compartments completely separate, which also has lots of little pockets. Unfortunately that bag doesn't seem to exist! If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to know!

It was the Horizon. I spent some time on the www looking for inserts which would compensate for the lack of pockets but realised that nothing would make up for the lack of proper, sewn-in, pcockets with or without zips. So I sent it back to the retailer for a refund.

I also bought a second-hand Ultralight Dual 36L in the classifieds here. It has a photo kit insert and side access but I haven't yet used it. It suffers from the same problem. No pockets, zipped or otherwise, for minor items which will otherwise float around in the bag and either fall out or get in the way. (Although it does have one very useful-looking pocket on the hip belt).

In my opinion you can't beat a proper two-compartment bag with the two compartments completely separate, which also has lots of little pockets. Unfortunately that bag doesn't seem to exist! If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to know!
They do.. or did exist, I have one, the bottom half is padded and hinges down (zipped) the top section isn't padded.
Sadly it's terrible. the straps are grim, they pull apart when your wearing it, I also don't like the idea of my gear held in by a zip, if that fails it's tip your kit out. (I put straps as well) but the biggest issue is the bottom part if fairly small. Think a body with lens and another lens and a flash maybe. Then you have your grub and a drink above the camera gear ideally places to leak onto it.
It was a mates I swopped a billingham for it, my loss.
The lable says compu daypack (it will take a laptop as well)Video

Doesn't sound ideal at all.......

I did have one a while ago as well. It was a Lowepro so pretty good quality but it wore out eventually.

Your point about the camera kit compartment being held to the rest of the bag with a zip is a good one, although it never caused me a problem, and I hadn't thought of the potential loss if it had come apart unexpectedly, (fortunately.....).

Last edited:

the rotation pro is the one below and does have some zipped pockets as well as the two main compartments:
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/minds...MIoYq8u7ex4QIVSbftCh3LIQNgEAQYASABEgJmBPD_BwE

i had a good look at a number of bags at the photography show and being honest there were very few that i felt would fit the bill. It would be great if wex would let me return the bag after doing a decent walk with it and using it but i suspect that may come under the bit where they say must be returned in saleable condition :LOL:

I'm sure I saw something on their social media about FStop Gear teasing new ICUs. I have been happy with mine, but have had them 10 years.

Another option that may be worth looking at are the evoc camera bags - I rate their mountain biking rucksacks, and would seriously consider one of their camera bags now if I was in the market to replace my FStop Guru.

evoc camera bags

That bag looks pretty neat! Perhaps more space for camera gear than i would need but you could always put waterproofs etc in the spare slots in the lower compartment. I like the look of the small pouch on the hip belt and the side access flap for a single body/lens combo. Thanks for posting!

I'd never heard of Evoc.

They are big in mountain biking and snowboarding worlds. Unfortunately they don't fit my requirements, which is just to carry one small body and lens and all my MTB kit. So use a little Lowe Pro case in one of their regular bags.

Back