Another Short Eared Owl Post

Edit My Images
Yes
I've travelled over 500miles and what walked what feels like 500 more photographing short-eared owls. I still haven't got the shot I want yet (looking straight down the 500f4) but I shall persevere as there's something about short-ears that keeps on making me want more shots.

I thought I'd share a few:

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) by Edymobeel, on Flickr

:)

Last is almost what you wanted ... nice set. :)

First up Edy - superb captures, both the perched and the flights, especially the last one. All pin sharp, and nice poses.

The first 3 though need a bit of TLC to get them looking their best - they are all quite a bit underexposed as presented. Nothing that can't bet sorted out with 2 minutes at the computer.

Hope you don't mind, I tried to show you below a couple of changes to the first 2.

The first one I simply did a curves layer then dodged the face a little
40142123053_f6bceab454_h-RP.jpg

The second one needed a bit more work, but in essence, most of the work would be best done at the RAW stage with a simple boost in exposure.
33221135668_3aa58bdbd2_h-RP.jpg

They would look much better done from your original. Might be worth checking if you have your screen set too bright, as they may look bang on on your computer.

I dont know how technical you are, but as a guide, your brightest whites should be reading around 230-240 on the above flight shot, whereas on your original they were in the 160s.

That said, they are superb shots and I hope you're really satisfied with them for all the work you've put in

Mike

Thanks for the comments all.
@pooley - Thank you for your constructive criticism, much appreciated. Your edits do bring out the detail and have to say better than mine :) I use a colormunki to calibrate both macs of mine.
I went to photograph shorties again today. I'm still yet to get a shortie straight which I'm happy with.

Back