Another (slightly different) Bag Thread....

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
All, I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 which has enough room to carry all my gear even though I'm not happy with the tripod right on the back of it - I usually just carry it.

This is all fine when we go out as a family because the girlfriend has a hiking backpack with grub, drinks, waterproofs, suncream etc etc The trouble is when I go out on my own so I'm in need of something bigger......

I certainly want something "Flipside" that opens from the inside. I'd ideally like it to carry a tripod too. I need waist/hip straps also.......

I've been eyeing the Lowepro Trek 450 so far but is there anything else that's part camera/part hiking from any other manufacturers please??

I was talking about this subject earlier with a friend. For hiking our thinking was hiking bags with a camera insert was probably the best cost effective option as they are designed for the activity and relatively cheap compared to camera bags.

My friend found this:

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/30/camera-specific-outdoor-packs-suck-heres-use-instead/

Many landscape photographers go with hiking bags so there must be good reason for it. You can pick up camera inserts (often called ICUs) quite cheaply off amazon. Couple with a good bag from the likes of osprey and it’s a good combination (and doesn’t scream camera bag either).

The closest to a hiking bag would be f stops range, great access from the rear but they aren’t a cheap option.

All, I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 which has enough room to carry all my gear even though I'm not happy with the tripod right on the back of it - I usually just carry it.

This is all fine when we go out as a family because the girlfriend has a hiking backpack with grub, drinks, waterproofs, suncream etc etc The trouble is when I go out on my own so I'm in need of something bigger......

I certainly want something "Flipside" that opens from the inside. I'd ideally like it to carry a tripod too. I need waist/hip straps also.......

I've been eyeing the Lowepro Trek 450 so far but is there anything else that's part camera/part hiking from any other manufacturers please??
This probably is not the answer you are looking for, but I decided to go along the rucksac route with an insert. I wanted the real comfort of a properly fitted backpack.

I bought an Osprey AG 50 and use a Tenba BYOB 13 insert. The inserts work well as I have one Tenba 13 with my Fuji stuff in and another with my Canon stuff in... I just place whichever insert in top of the rucsack. There is an internal strap that holds the Tenba at the top. This leaves loads of space underneath.

Then the tripod straps in on the side where walking sticks go.. . Works a treat.

However there a few camera rucksacs makes out there. Shimoda, F-stop, Guragear, Mindshift.

I just decided a properly rucksack would be more comfortable when hiking up mountains.

Hope this is of help... 20180404_231334.jpeg20180402_150305.jpeg

I was talking about this subject earlier with a friend. For hiking our thinking was hiking bags with a camera insert was probably the best cost effective option as they are designed for the activity and relatively cheap compared to camera bags.

My friend found this:

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/30/camera-specific-outdoor-packs-suck-heres-use-instead/

Many landscape photographers go with hiking bags so there must be good reason for it. You can pick up camera inserts (often called ICUs) quite cheaply off amazon. Couple with a good bag from the likes of osprey and it’s a good combination (and doesn’t scream camera bag either).

The closest to a hiking bag would be f stops range, great access from the rear but they aren’t a cheap option.
Haha, just read this, that exactly what I did Rob!
As you say, the perfectly designed ones are not cheap. I have too many bags, none have been right, but my Osprey combo is spot on for me atm...

Last edited:
Haha, just read this, that exactly what I did Rob!
As you say, the perfectly designed ones are not cheap. I have too many bags, none have been right, but my Osprey combo is spot on for me atm...

Sounds like money better spent getting the expensive one once than trying to spend less to have many of them, only for them all to be crap.

Sounds like money better spent getting the expensive one once than trying to spend less to have many of them, only for them all to be crap.
They've never been crap bags nor cheap, but hiking for 12 miles int thills soon tests the designs of the bags I have bought int past...comfort is everything. It's not necessarily how expensive they are, but purchasing a well designed rucksac has worked for me...

For longer days out and about I use a Gregory rucksack, similar to the Osprey with a proper back frame system.
Photo gear is carried in a Tenba BYOB 9 and a tripod if wanted secured in one of the side pockets with the compression straps

This probably is not the answer you are looking for, but I decided to go along the rucksac route with an insert. I wanted the real comfort of a properly fitted backpack.

I bought an Osprey AG 50 and use a Tenba BYOB 13 insert. The inserts work well as I have one Tenba 13 with my Fuji stuff in and another with my Canon stuff in... I just place whichever insert in top of the rucsack. There is an internal strap that holds the Tenba at the top. This leaves loads of space underneath.

Then the tripod straps in on the side where walking sticks go.. . Works a treat.

However there a few camera rucksacs makes out there. Shimoda, F-stop, Guragear, Mindshift.

I just decided a properly rucksack would be more comfortable when hiking up mountains.

Hope this is of help... View attachment 126361View attachment 126362

Thanks for the input all.

I know a good bag could well be expensive but for comfort I think I'm willing to spend a little extra in all honesty. I have thought of hiking rucksacks with an insert but I wasn't sure how in/convenient they would be in actual use. The appeal of the ''Flipside'' is I can just drop the bag onto it's back, unzip, use the camera & vice versa...... Plus any dirt/mud that might get picked up is on the outside of the bag rather than on my back & I just wash off when I get home......

Size wise, I usually carry in the Flipside 300......

A7, FE85/1.8, FE35/2.8 OR Voigtlander 40/1.4, SEL28-70 plus a couple of filters/batteries/blower/cloth/inhaler/tablets..... I very rarely carry the old Tokina RMC 80-200mm
I can usually squeeze a drink/flask in there too & maybe a snack/chocolate bar.

I'd like room for a jacket/waterproofs, couple of sarnies, maybe extra drink, tripod, somewhere to shove a hoodie if I get hot etc this time of year....

We don't often do 'mountains' regularly but even today we done over 7 miles of hills, forest, woodland tracks.

I have the Lowepro Flipside 450, and I can recommend it. I've been out with mine for most of today, and used it to carry 2 Canon DSLRs with attached lenses, one extra lens, flashgun, macro flash bracket, Black Rapid strap, blower, lens cloth, OS map, plus sandwiches, drink and chocolate bar. The whole lot weighed about 7kg, but still felt comfortable to carry for 10km. Adding a tripod will obviously add to the weight, but it's still not too bad when I've carried mine. A feature I like is the zipped pockets on the waist strap, which are ideal for spare batteries, etc. Hope this helps.

Dave

I'm looking at the Manfrotto Off Road 30L or the Lowepro Photo Sport 300 at the moment.

I am going to look into proper rucksacks though that I can add an ICU into which has side access like the Osprey that Joe linked at the top of the thread.

I would like something by half term week so nothing too urgent...!!

I have a trek 350 which I've carried all day on a Munro.
It carried my Panasonic G80, 3 lenses, water bottle, flask, sandwiches, waterproof jacket, gloves etc.
It was a tight fit, but It was comfortable to carry, and provided easy access to my camera.
The 450 will hold more, but it was bigger than I wanted.
As a day bag, they are perfect. If I was going camping I'd need a proper rucksack to hold all my gear

The Photo Sport 200 AW is big enough for me, any larger and they become a nuisance.

In that I can get a Fuji X-Pro2 with 10-24 attached and one other decent size like the 55-200 or two maybe three smaller ones
I use a travel tripod, not one of the little tiddly ones and that just about fits inside (there is a convenient full length gap between the bag side and camera insert)
Larger tripod could be carried in the side pocket fastened with compression straps or on the sleeping roll straps on the bottom.

Loads of room inside for things like clothing and grub plus a separate space for a hydration bladder, this gets used for carrying a10.5in tablet when I travel
Inside the main compartment is a zip up pocket with clip for keys, wallet and loose change in bag goes in there
Another small zip up compartment on the top flap stores my mp3 player and inhaler (handy for quick access if needed urgently) plus other assorted stuff

Waist straps do have zip up pouches, bit far back to reach and too small for a smartphone,
Also large open pouch on the front which you could store a waterproof or hoodie in, mine usually has hat, gloves, sunglasses and ordinary glasses.

Recently went to Berlin for a week and had it fully loaded with everything I took as carry on luggage, some of the wife's electrical stuff too.
It was heavy, but still manageable, more than I would want to carry for everyday use though

Back