In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
:annoyed: A long rant.......

A little background
I have what are commonly called dormer windows the type that sick out from the tiled roof. These have a flat felted roof to them.
The roofs need re-felting about every 15years or so
Late spring this year we had a leak, there was water dripping through the bathroom ceiling a good sign that the felt was well past its sell by date.

We duly called a "roofer" the one that usually does our re-felts. he came sorted it I re- did the bathroom ceiling no problem....
Until last week-end, I noticed a bulge in the ceiling a good sign that the roof was indeed leaking again... bugger! poke a small hole in the ceiling to allow the water to drain through and call roofer. 15 year guarantee with these things.......

Roofer No problem. I'll be out tommorow to have a look
2 days later he turned up

Roofer Well these things last 30 years I did one there there there ( pointing to houses around the area) So they don't leak in 6 months you must have a plumming problem

Me I have looked in the loft, there are no pipes leaking or running within 3 feet of the leak.
Rooferwell it must be travelling along the roof from somewhere else
Me ?!
Roofer well they don't leak you have two layes bonded ya de ya de ya.. I did one there there there years ago and they didn't leak
Me I don't give a monkey's penis about there there there

I drags the roofer up stairs to look up into the ceiling, to veiw the large hole I had now made so I could see the underside of the flat roof about 9" above.

the water was indeed dripping through the decking boards and had made a wet patch between / spanning 3 rafters
even with the sight of his own eyes he kept saying well this type of material doesn't leak I did that one that one ... ya de ya de ya

Have you ever really wanted to slap someone around the face to knock a little sense into them ? well you know how I felt at that point

roofer it must be the tiles leaking ( flat roof ?!)
Me now starting to get very agitated and finding a few more word to my vocabulary that I reserve espcially for ass holes!
You offer a guarantee right?

Roofer Yep 15 years
Me you remember doing this about 6 months or so ago?
Roofer yep
Me well I guess that means you have 14.5 years to get it fixed before the guarantee runs out, preferabley this side of Christmas would be good though

Roofer turns up Sat PM crashes about on the roof and dissapears before I had even got the kettle on!

Well you guessed it the roof still leaks, the roofer is not answering his phone or returning my messages.
I will give him the rest of the day as "grace"

Tommorow I start using other peoples phones / getting a mate on nights / to call him day and night until he picks up! I have his mobile and home phone number...........

I feel a little better now, but you can bet your life that I will have to get someone else in to do the job though.

Milton Keynes roofing is the name of the company, the guy doesn't give receipts as he only works for cash The surprising thing is he has been in bussiness as far as I know for about 25 years, could be longer.

So if you are in my area and need a roofer "who Ya gonna call ?:D

Sounds like a call is needed to trading standards receipt or not get his name on there books May not help you but could save others a lot of money :bat:
Bob(y)

Sounds like a call is needed to trading standards receipt or not get his name on there books May not help you but could save others a lot of money :bat:
Bob(y)

well if he doesnt sort it you could report him to the inland rev for good mesure

Yep, thanks guys (y) both are on my "to do list" but I am gonna wind him up a little first with very late very early morning calls in the hope that he will get peed off and answer my daytime calls.

I'd phone the inland revenue anyway, even if he fixes it, pillocks like him (supposing he's not being honest with his declarations) mean we all have to pay more tax.

I'd phone the inland revenue anyway, even if he fixes it, pillocks like him (supposing he's not being honest with his declarations) mean we all have to pay more tax.

I was gonna anyways Steep, now, as he has sufficiently p issed me off whether he puts it right or not

Can't trust anybody these days Chris, if only we could do all these little jobs ourselves.

:LOL::LOL:
Just keep ringing him Chris, even if he doesn't fix your problem it will annoy him :bat:

Yep thats the plan Robin
He's had several messages left today, both land line and mobile my mate takes over tonight when he is on the night shift :D

Yep thats the plan Robin
He's had several messages left today, both land line and mobile my mate takes over tonight when he is on the night shift :D

Good for you mate, these bu**ers should not get away with it (y)

There are really some ar*eholes about. And the roofing industry seems to have more than their fair share. And as for lasting 30 years, not a snowball in hells chance.
You should really be thinking of getting shot of the felt and tar. It's not worth a carrot,
especially in our climate. Take all the felt off and replace it with rubber, a good quality pond liner will do the trick. You could do it in a morning, and that will last 30 years.

There are really some ar*eholes about. And the roofing industry seems to have more than their fair share. And as for lasting 30 years, not a snowball in hells chance.
You should really be thinking of getting shot of the felt and tar. It's not worth a carrot,
especially in our climate. Take all the felt off and replace it with rubber, a good quality pond liner will do the trick. You could do it in a morning, and that will last 30 years.

Its supposed to be a "membrane" thats laid on and heated to bond ( 2 layers) As for me I have no idea about this stuff and have to take it "on trust" well that was a bloody good idea (I don't think) the previous ones I have had done have lasted about 15 years though.
I take your point about rubber but getting the edges water-tight seems as though it could be a problem :shrug:

Its supposed to be a "membrane" thats laid on and heated to bond ( 2 layers) As for me I have no idea about this stuff and have to take it "on trust" well that was a bloody good idea (I don't think) the previous ones I have had done have lasted about 15 years though.
I take your point about rubber but getting the edges water-tight seems as though it could be a problem :shrug:
I built a garage on the side of my house, and used rubber the initial cost of the rubber and the special adhesives (you need 2 adhesives one to glue it to the roof and one to glue it to itself)
that you need are a lot more expensive than felt.
If you have had one that has lasted 15 years you have done very well indeed. I have a small lean to, that was built with the house, originally used as a fuel store. But when I converted it to a kitchen, I took the roof off and replaced it with a small hip roof. That roof had, had 3 new felts in 25 years. but it does get a lot of sun.
All the best with your dispute though.

I built a garage on the side of my house, and used rubber the initial cost of the rubber and the special adhesives (you need 2 adhesives one to glue it to the roof and one to glue it to itself)
that you need are a lot more expensive than felt.
If you have had one that has lasted 15 years you have done very well indeed. I have a small lean to, that was built with the house, originally used as a fuel store. But when I converted it to a kitchen, I took the roof off and replaced it with a small hip roof. That roof had, had 3 new felts in 25 years. but it does get a lot of sun.
All the best with your dispute though.

Thanks (y)
To be honest I really wish I could get rid of the flat roof, but its a semi, with the flat roof about 8' out from the pitched
( tiled ) section running the full length of both houses, some houses have had a "slope" added to the flat section falling to the front, its supposed to make them last longer but you have to have the full length done at once and I can't see "next door" forking out for his half :(

Sounds like he hasn't used enough heat and the seams haven't stuck properly. Has he got solar reflective paint on or lime stone chippings or has he used green mineral for the top layer?

Thanks (y)
To be honest I really wish I could get rid of the flat roof, but its a semi, with the flat roof about 8' out from the pitched
( tiled ) section running the full length of both houses, some houses have had a "slope" added to the flat section falling to the front, its supposed to make them last longer but you have to have the full length done at once and I can't see "next door" forking out for his half :(

Very true. But I may be able to help a little.
When you do get the job re-done make sure that the contractor slips felt under the first course of tiles on the roof. All to often this does not happen, but it really does help. this takes all the water away from the most vulnerable part of the roof, which is under the tiles.

Sounds like he hasn't used enough heat and the seams haven't stuck properly. Has he got solar reflective paint on or lime stone chippings or has he used green mineral for the top layer?

I am not sure but looking at the "left over bits" at the time I think that it was a greenish colour with a "rough" top surface The leak is roughly central to "our side" and about a foot in from the back edge, which is exactly where it was before when it was repaired first time, that lasted 6 months, thats what I find strange about the whole thing :shrug:

Very true. But I may be able to help a little.
When you do get the job re-done make sure that the contractor slips felt under the first course of tiles on the roof. All to often this does not happen, but it really does help. this takes all the water away from the most vulnerable part of the roof, which is under the tiles.

Thanks for the tip (y) but he claims to have done this already :shrug: see my previous post for the location, there has to be a hole in the felt as the wet patch, as seen from below the decking, ( looking up through the bathroom ceiling at the base of the deck boards) is "isolated" and not running far.

*Update* well I guess that early morning phone calls 1 am 2 am 3 am 4 am etc :D
Must be a real p'sser I know when I have had wrong numbers early hours ( home number, similar to a local taxi firm :bang:)
It put me in a bad mood for half the day.
Well something must have pricked to roofers conscience ( do they have them? :shrug:)
Got a visit this morning ( after I had gone to work) and he now assures me that its sorted.
I will NOT hold my breath, heavy rain forcast for the next couple of days so time will tell :bat:

Back