Another V700 scanner question.........

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
New scanner and just sitting down to scan some 35mm B&W negatives but it seems to be cropping them incorrectly - the scanner is taking the tops of heads off!

I am using the holder and previewing in thumbnail view. If I look at normal view I can adjust the scanned area but thats a bit of a pain for each one. Is this cropping normal in thumbnail or should I be adjusting something?

TIA

Mark

What software are you using? I use vuescan and have to adjust frames for each shot. I had to do this with my old canon flatbed too.

New scanner and just sitting down to scan some 35mm B&W negatives but it seems to be cropping them incorrectly - the scanner is taking the tops of heads off!

I am using the holder and previewing in thumbnail view. If I look at normal view I can adjust the scanned area but thats a bit of a pain for each one. Is this cropping normal in thumbnail or should I be adjusting something?

TIA

Mark

I believe if you go into the configuration menu when opening in "professional" mode, there is an option for cropping somewhere in there. This option should be set to largest, so that it intentionally scans the whole visible window defined by the film mask. This worked for me when scanning using the 5x4 mask, so should work with 35mm?

That setting seems to be only for medium format film on mine.

Doesn't seem to do it on slides, just negs but I think I will play with it and push a few buttons - steep learning curve here!

Mark

Further to my first post here are a couple of examples;

This is the crop scanning a job lot in thumnail view,

img029800wide_zps8df07be9.jpg

And the same scanned in normal mode one at a time masked by hand,

img037800wide_zpsc08b7980.jpg

The crop on the first is so way off that scanning in that mode seems to be a waste of time? Unless I am missing something......

Mark

I find the thumbnail mode on the Epson Scan software to be pretty savage when it comes to cropping, and most rolls of medium format film are so short that I find it easier to do it by hand (also, I like getting a bit of black border around the image from the scan).

ooh...the Picasso museum in Antibes.....lovely.

Did you visit it on your recent trip to Nice?

I like the black border too but seem to sometimes need a couple of scan attempts to make it equal - it looks ok in preview and then the scan comes out with a more black on one side! Operator error on that one....

I do find 120 easier and particularly like the border on that but I took the Minolta on this trip - now I am wading through three rolls of 35mm with one more in camera!

Yes Steve that was taken a couple of days ago, it was walking distance from where we were staying. Very nice part of the world. Unfortunately the friends we were visiting had to return to the UK the day we arrived but it was still a nice couple of days away.

Mark

I like the black border too but seem to sometimes need a couple of scan attempts to make it equal - it looks ok in preview and then the scan comes out with a more black on one side! Operator error on that one....

Scanning it again seems a bit unnecessary, just crop out any additional black border in a post-processing application of your choice?

I seldom do PP so its probably just as easy to push the box across slightly and hit rescan whilst its still in front of me.

All a learning curve...

Mark

Back