Another vote for MPB.com

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a second camera body from MPB. They're offering free delivery until 4pm, so I used their discount code and got free next day deliver before 10.30am (which would usually be £24.95!!!)

They are just brilliant. I can't rate them highly enough.

Though I have had niggles with them in the past, I had very good experience with them just recently too. I made more by trading in a 'like new' condition lens [and they accepted this condition without any debate] than I would have gotten selling used elsewhere - partly because I didn't have to pay any delivery either for sending my lens to them, or delivery of the one I traded in for [saving of about £25, you don't get free delivery to Ireland at any time] They looked after all of that as it was a trade in, and the whole transaction was complete within a week. I would easily recommend. Even if you do have issues, they will sort them - I was sent one lens in less-than-satisfactory condition, they refunded me some cash and sent out one that was pretty much mint for the hassle.

I used to rate MPB very highly and recommended them to friends and colleagues as one of the best in the UK. However I've had issues over the last year or so with them balking on valuations given to me and picking fault on the most trivial of things but knocking the trade in price down considerably. In fact last year I had around £2.5k's worth of gear sent to them (when I last sold all my Fuji gear), and all of it was in fabulous condition (as I try to be as honest as I can in my descriptions), however when they received it, they tried to knock nearly £350 off the price. I told them to forget it and return the whole package, and sold the items individually to other on-line retailers (and a few bits on here), and everyone to the best of my knowledge was delighted with the equipment and not one of them picked fault at all with the condition of them.

Having said that, I've just had a very similar experience and argument with WEX over the same thing. They tried to knock £50 off a lens as apparently it had a small paint chip on the underside of the tripod foot (which it didn't when I sent it them as I had photographs of everything at all angles as proof and nothing showed up). It's lessened my faith in the on-line companies somewhat and did make we wonder if the prices they were offering via emails were just to get you to send the equipment into them, and once they had it they thought that most people of capitulate and back down rather than have the items returned (but I didn't).

Maybe I'm an isolated case and it's rarer than I think, but it's a real shame as MBP in my eyes were one of the industries good guys, but that reputation for me has been tarnished by recent dealings as above.

Last edited:
I’ve used them loads, when they first started up they were incredibly good, fast goods inspection and fast payment all done within a couple of days. Sold a couple of lenses a few months ago and after waiting a week I had to chase them for an update and again for payment.

Shame as they are a good company.

Im glad you two have had a good experience with them, the last one for me would mean i would never use them again.

Maybe I'm an isolated case and it's rarer than I think, but it's a real shame as MBP in my eyes were one of the industries good guys, but that reputation for me has been tarnished by recent dealings as above.

Nope, though I would give them a recommendation now, I did have issues in the past with them. They tried to say my Fuji 35mm 1.4 showed traces of moisture inside, I had them send it back and sold it within a week for a fair chunk more than they offered. The worst case for me was when I purchased a used, in "good condition" Panasonic 100-300. It turned up manky, my hands actually went black after inspecting it, there was some kind of soot or oil all over it!! Not only that but the focus ring was unusable, too stiff to turn without janking it, and the rubber on the zoom ring was loose and 'squidgy' - I was on to them right away demanding they take it back. To be fair, they did, and blamed an over sight in QC [this lens wasn't fit to be labelled 'well used' even!] - they refunded me £35 and sent a like new copy of the lens as replacement. I was wary of them still though for a while after. But my last couple of trades with them went smoothly, so for me they have improved

I sent them my MKI 7D last Friday which they received Monday. I would have described it as Mint but put excellent as it is in a white box due to it being in a kit with a 70-300mm L which I have kept.

Will be interested to see if they try to knock the valuation down.

I sold my 80d body to MPB and described it as excellent, they sent me an email stating they had upgraded the condition to mint so I got an extra £25 which was most welcome. :cool:

I sent them my MKI 7D last Friday which they received Monday. I would have described it as Mint but put excellent as it is in a white box due to it being in a kit with a 70-300mm L which I have kept.

Will be interested to see if they try to knock the valuation down.

Bad form to quote myself but anyway, MPB got back to me today as promised and paid me the amount they quoted so all in all a good service (y)

I used to rate MPB very highly and recommended them to friends and colleagues as one of the best in the UK. However I've had issues over the last year or so with them balking on valuations given to me and picking fault on the most trivial of things but knocking the trade in price down considerably. In fact last year I had around £2.5k's worth of gear sent to them (when I last sold all my Fuji gear), and all of it was in fabulous condition (as I try to be as honest as I can in my descriptions), however when they received it, they tried to knock nearly £350 off the price. I told them to forget it and return the whole package, and sold the items individually to other on-line retailers (and a few bits on here), and everyone to the best of my knowledge was delighted with the equipment and not one of them picked fault at all with the condition of them.

Having said that, I've just had a very similar experience and argument with WEX over the same thing. They tried to knock £50 off a lens as apparently it had a small paint chip on the underside of the tripod foot (which it didn't when I sent it them as I had photographs of everything at all angles as proof and nothing showed up). It's lessened my faith in the on-line companies somewhat and did make we wonder if the prices they were offering via emails were just to get you to send the equipment into them, and once they had it they thought that most people of capitulate and back down rather than have the items returned (but I didn't).

Hi, No not isolated case at all. Have to agree with you. I bought a Sigma 150-500mm for Canon lens from them and sold as excellent condition and it was but I found it to heavy for me and tried to trade it back to them for a Canon 400mm they offered me £315 after I paid not more than 6 months ago £439 and it is in the same condition it was when I bought it, I understand that they need to make money but to me that was a rip off offer. Russ.

Hi, No not isolated case at all. Have to agree with you. I bought a Sigma 150-500mm for Canon lens from them and sold as excellent condition and it was but I found it to heavy for me and tried to trade it back to them for a Canon 400mm they offered me £315 after I paid not more than 6 months ago £439 and it is in the same condition it was when I bought it, I understand that they need to make money but to me that was a rip off offer. Russ.

There's nothing off about that, you got to use it for 6mths! They're not a rental service, once you decide to keep it after a week then it is now yours. Of course they will profit, but you're not factoring in the cost of collection and then sending you out the other lens, so add £20 to your quote. I bought a 15mm Pana-Leica lens from them months back for £344+£10 postage. I used the lens for a couple months then decided I would prefer a fast zoom, so traded it back in to them. They offered 250, but the trade included them collecting the lens, and sending out the lens I was trading for, making it £270+ total. I couldn't get that much trying to sell it used on here or anywhere else.

I don't think a 25% (or thereabouts) markup is at all a rip off. You had the use of the lens for 6 months, they have rent, rates, wages and other expenses to pay before they even see a profit.

I don't think a 25% (or thereabouts) markup is at all a rip off. You had the use of the lens for 6 months, they have rent, rates, wages and other expenses to pay before they even see a profit.

I know for a fact WeX work on 20%. So it sounds about right with it being 6 months later.

Back