Another what bag thread

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I use a crumpler bens pizza as my walk around bag. It does not look too camera bag ish and I can get the camera in and out easily. I like it.

I use a hand strap - i don't like neck straps. So the bag works for me even more as i can just clip it shut and hang it on my shoulder when the camera is not in my hand.

Now the dilemma. I have recently bought a 100-400L which kinda blows all my previous solutions out of the water.

The camera with the big zoom fitted is a sizeable heavy lump. What do I put in in when out and about? Looked at the Lowepro zoom AW - well looked online as i can't see a real one - and it seems it might work out...but it is still going to be heavy.

I want easy access and dislike backpacks so have not even considered one of those.

At an airshow a few weeks ago I did not see any one solution that someone else had that seemed ideal.

If it fits, the zoom AW seems the only option for walking about with a big ish zoom and maybe std lens - unless someone has a better idea ?

i dont think there is an answer, i cant recall seeing anything small enough but big enough, if you see what i mean, would having a seperate lens bag be an option? i know they are chunky, the one that came with my Sigma is a huge effort....

The 100-400L comes supplied with a bag as standard if my memory serves me well. That really doesn't help with the real issue though...its a tricky one that i really can't answer.

Have you tried one of the larger independent retailers to see what they have on stock..maybe something will catch you eye and meet your needs?

My local indepedant retailer closed down 6 months ago - moved to wales and became internet only. Jessops was a complete waste of time - nothing in stock.

Anyone know if the front of a 100-400 actually fits the narrow end of a zoom AW bag? length is OK.

EosD said:
i dont think there is an answer, i cant recall seeing anything small enough but big enough, if you see what i mean, would having a seperate lens bag be an option? i know they are chunky, the one that came with my Sigma is a huge effort....

I actually want to walk round with the 100-400 on the camera as I will be somewhere that I have gone to use that lens. Having a normal walkround lens with me too would be a bonus.

At the airshow for example I am not a diehard get there early and save my spot type. That is too boring I need to be mobile. Thinking of a zoo visit before too long as well.... that kind of thing.

Funny you should mention zoo visits, as I've used my 100-400L exclusively on two zoo visits recently. On the first occasion, I took all my gear in a large Tamrac shoulder bag. In the event, the 100-400L never came off the camera, or from around my neck, and lugging that bag around all day, constantly slipping from my shoulder was hard work and tiring.

On the second occasion I took my new Lowepro Mini Trekker AW rucksack which was a pleasure to use in comparison, so even though you say you don't like them, it's what I'd recommend. You can put as much or as little gear in there as you want, including your sandwiches, and you can be confident it will keep the gear dry in bad weather.

EosD said:
the lowepro toploaders all take big lenses but they dont give dims, have a look here:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Toploading/

i will look for some more....

*edit*

have a look here also

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

Well the Zoom AW says 200mm f2.8 so 200/2.8 means a 72mm dia objective lens..... add on say 15 for the casing/hood and you have 87mm. The 100-400 is around 105mm dia at the front with the hood reversed. So it is a maybe.

The tamracs' don't seem big enough unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.

So did I. The 20D + 100-400 is 10.5 inches with the zoom at 100 and the hood reversed. That tamrac is 10" internal.

hmmm...thats not good

I think I've exhausted the options here. I will have to take a chance on the topload zoom AW.

Froogle shows one obvious lower price - but it also shows a picture with a handle on top of the bag! Anyone know if the 'digital camera company' offering is some old version or different model? (3rd search item)

Froogle search page

it *looks* the same

*please note, i know naaaahhhthing*

Well I was in no great hurry to sort this out so I have been looking on ebay for a while.

I bought (won) a mint 'topload zoom AW' for £21 delivered. What turned up was a toploader 75 AW. Not as deep as a zoom AW so I expected a problem.

Tried the camera with 100-400 attached and it was a perfect fit :)

So if you need a bag for a 100-400 on a 20D the '75 does the job nicely. No room for much else but that what I wanted.

Also means I got a £65 bag at a good price instead of a £40 one :banana:

RobertP said:
Well I was in no great hurry to sort this out so I have been looking on ebay for a while.

I bought (won) a mint 'topload zoom AW' for £21 delivered. What turned up was a toploader 75 AW. Not as deep as a zoom AW so I expected a problem.

Tried the camera with 100-400 attached and it was a perfect fit :)

So if you need a bag for a 100-400 on a 20D the '75 does the job nicely. No room for much else but that what I wanted.

Also means I got a £65 bag at a good price instead of a £40 one :banana:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I use the Lowepro toploader zoom AW with a Nikon 80-400mm (plus pro body) which is almost the same size as the 100-400 and it's fine. I think the AW75 is slightly deeper than the plain Zoom AW that I have.
I find this bag very handy, and a snug fit is safer than a loose fit.
Glad you got a good deal.

Just checked the lowepro site - you are correct this one is 1/2 " deeper that the zoom AW.

There is about 3/4" clearance in the bag so I guess either would do the job.

well done Robert! Some bargains to be had if your patient

Only problem with the bag - when you put it down you want to place it with the opening side upwards. Being smallest at the bottom it just falls over. Small problem though, on the whole it worked out well.

Back