Another 'what's this thing that turned up in my auction lot?"

Name
Morris
Edit My Images
Yes
Paterson so likely something to do with developing I'm guessing. That's an angled mirror on the bottom and there is a 'sight' to look through on top.

20210605_181846.jpg

It looks like a focus finder for wet printing, but it doesn't look like its set up right

Focus finder, used in enlarging. Place on baseboard, look through lens at image, and adjust focus until sharp.

Yes, the mirror is twisted...

Looks like 90 degrees out. The twin bars should be parallel to the support.

Last edited:
Its used to check the focus of a negative projected on to the baseboard of an enlarger before exposing the paper.
It ought to have some kind of adjustment to position it correctly, it doesn't look usable as it is.

20210605_181846~2.jpg

The two position locators (red lines) are on wrong side of vertical. Unscrew chrome screw until you can swing tube so they are on other side. Then the sighting tube will be at correct angle when mirror horizontal.

Awesome!

I just knew there would be a handful of people on here who would chuckle when they saw it (reminiscing I expect) and know straight away what it is.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Thanks David,

When I looked closely I can see that the focuser should be able to be moved up and down a bit to help with clarity. On mine the screw is missing and the focuser is taped in position.

I'll see if I can fix it. They are much more costly than I expected but I guess the improvement it offers outweighs the cost.

Who knew there were so many aspects involved in developing and enlarging. Mind blowing.

Thanks David,

When I looked closely I can see that the focuser should be able to be moved up and down a bit to help with clarity. On mine the screw is missing and the focuser is taped in position.

I'll see if I can fix it. They are much more costly than I expected but I guess the improvement it offers outweighs the cost.

Who knew there were so many aspects involved in developing and enlarging. Mind blowing.

Dug through my astronomy box and pulled a set screw from a cheap Barlow lens. Works a treat.

Back