Another which lens post ! :)

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Theoretical at the moment, because my bank balance is struggling to recover ! lol

I currently have 17-40L and 100-400L and can see a bit of a gap in the middle that i sometimes wish i had managed to fill (between 40 and 100) any recommendations for a lens that would fit the bill ? Doesnt have to be L glass, but obviously would prefer it, or as close as i can get (theroetically of course) :)

Steve and a couple of other people have mentioned the Tamron 28-75 XR Di in the past which covers a decent part of the range, and apparently gives good results !

Like i said this will probably take me 12 months to get round to so there will be new lenses out by then ! LOL just thought i would see whats out there ! :)

I had exactly the same problem and filled it with the excellent Canon 28-135 IS. Build quality isn't L standard (still good though) but the glass isn't far off and the IS is a real benefit.

I opted for the Canon 17- 85mm EF-S with IS. It's a great general purpose walk around lens.

The tamron that you mentioned is exceelent and wont produce results that make you think about the lack of L glass covering that range or if you prefer the IS then Adrian has a good solution even if it costs you more.

The big advantage the Tamron has though is that it is a fast lens being f2.8.

Fotosense are selling the Tamron here for £249.

Thanks guys, so my choices are

Tamron 28-75 XR Di
Canon 28-135 IS
Canon 17-85 IS

:)

Steve makes a good point re the Tamron being F2.8 ! If i got one that would be my fastest lens ! LOL

Better start saving ! LOL :coat:

Don't forget the 17-85 is EF-S Ian. It wont fit your 1DS when you get it! :coat:

The disadvantage in the 17-85 is that it overlaps alot of the range of the 17-40L that you already have, however if you want to sell the 17-40 you could use some of the funds from that to put towards the new lens.

The problem with that is that by now you know how good the 17-40 is :)

Steve said:
The disadvantage in the 17-85 is that it overlaps alot of the range of the 17-40L that you already have, however if you want to sell the 17-40 you could use some of the funds from that to put towards the new lens.

The problem with that is that by now you know how good the 17-40 is :)

Yeah thats a no brainer Steve ! never selling either of my L lenses ! :)

Back