Another year, another go

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
I've been trying for that "fine art" look of my daughter each year. Seems to be around this time that I get a bolt of inspiration and so here's the latest pic. I need to work more on outfits, this tutu was actually salvaged from the loft and was her much older sister's 13/14 years ago. Key is definitely clothing for me but her concentration was better this time, instead of the usual very short attention span. I had the lighting out from the week previous so maybe she had 'acclimatised' to it. This was a single strobe and reflectors arrangement (I'll post the pullback separately). I've lightened the background to blend with the white tutu, so overall, much lighter than my normal go-to, darker images.

51882734605_3be9a961a2_k.jpg

the face in that first images looks great to me, love the tone, eyes, skin (eyes, nose, mouth) - looks like a painting.
Thanks Dan. Haven’t had to go crazy with retouching her face, she’s very light in skin tone so not a lot of colour in her skin. I do find that her very round face suits certain poses better but it’s only now that she’s taking a little more direction.

I suppose the important thing is does she like the first one, ‘cos if she does (and she should), then she’ll want to do more ;)

The first shot is very good. Her inner spirit is very well conveyed even though her expression is nominally neutral.

I don’t shoot many portraits, so thanks for sharing the wider view showing your lighting setup.

Absolutely stunning portrait. Really classy image.
I feel a bit unworthy of making these comments below, as you are by far a better photographer than me, but.
  1. One tiny little issue for me is that I would have liked a little more space above her head.
  2. I showed this to my wife and said "that's how to take a photograph". Not knowing she was dressed as a ballet dancer, she commented that whilst it is a very beautiful image of a pretty girl, the hair is may be a little to old for her. However, the hair style goes with the outfit, so I can see why it's done that way.

Absolutely stunning portrait. Really classy image.
I feel a bit unworthy of making these comments below, as you are by far a better photographer than me, but.
  1. One tiny little issue for me is that I would have liked a little more space above her head.
  2. I showed this to my wife and said "that's how to take a photograph". Not knowing she was dressed as a ballet dancer, she commented that whilst it is a very beautiful image of a pretty girl, the hair is may be a little to old for her. However, the hair style goes with the outfit, so I can see why it's done that way.
Thanks for the kind comments.
I did crop in a little but if printed, I’ll probably add a little breathing space at the top. You’re right about the hairstyling but she does have it up for ballet. She’s very small for her age and so not wishing that away, she’s still not quite big enough for the images I’d like to replicate. One day…

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Other people's children are much easier to work with. Ultimately I find myself too close to the whole image in every sense that you end up feeling that you've not quite accomplished the task in mind. I only set out for one stand-out image and so that was the one for me. There's others that I need to work on, but the neutral, smile-less pose is starting to get there.
This one was probably my next favourite, but there's things here that need tweaking.

51882084896_59d5622036_k.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot. Reminds of the pictures my parents/grandparents have. Gotta get it right the first time, film is expensive! Therefore: No smiling, no twitching, perfect hair, "grown-up" clothes. And yet you can feel that there's an inner energy that's just waiting to be released.

Great photos and that first one is lovely. The last shows her more naturally but all are very good and to be proud of.

Fantastic photos Kris you must be extremely proud to have captured your daughter in these fantastic poses . No doubt you will both look back on these with fond memories in the years to come..

I would love to acheive this type of photo with my grand children , I have a month old grand daughter and another one on the way in 8 weeks that I`d love to try to photograph with proper lighting .. however what sort of expense does a set up like yours cost ?

A couple of questions for you if you dont mind. .

What size of softbox are you using and how much does that type cost ?

What type of light are using with the softbox ? again at what cost ?

I guess the most inexpensive part of the kit is the Stand ....

Obviously I`m not suggesting for one minute that its all down to the lighting Equipment , I`m aware its much much more than simply having a light or two and pressing the shutter release,, there is a Lot of experience at play here which shows in your photos .. This is something that I`ve been mulling over for a good few months now and the biggest part of this for me is acquiring the correct light which I know can be pretty expensive ..

From my end I was budgeting for around £300 for a Softbox, Stand, and 1 or 2 refletors - the biggest expense after that would be the Light ..
I`ll probably start a thread to see what sort of advice would be offered from the guys ..

Coho - Blue

Fantastic photos Kris you must be extremely proud to have captured your daughter in these fantastic poses . No doubt you will both look back on these with fond memories in the years to come..

I would love to acheive this type of photo with my grand children , I have a month old grand daughter and another one on the way in 8 weeks that I`d love to try to photograph with proper lighting .. however what sort of expense does a set up like yours cost ?

A couple of questions for you if you dont mind. .

What size of softbox are you using and how much does that type cost ?

What type of light are using with the softbox ? again at what cost ?

I guess the most inexpensive part of the kit is the Stand ....

Obviously I`m not suggesting for one minute that its all down to the lighting Equipment , I`m aware its much much more than simply having a light or two and pressing the shutter release,, there is a Lot of experience at play here which shows in your photos .. This is something that I`ve been mulling over for a good few months now and the biggest part of this for me is acquiring the correct light which I know can be pretty expensive ..

From my end I was budgeting for around £300 for a Softbox, Stand, and 1 or 2 refletors - the biggest expense after that would be the Light ..
I`ll probably start a thread to see what sort of advice would be offered from the guys ..

Coho - Blue
Hi Coho, well given the ages of your grandchildren, you have plenty of time to practice and add bits as you go, if you enjoy it. Getting the lighting right is 95% of the image, the rest is the polishing in pp so it is vitally important.
You don’t need to go mad, these were taken with one light and a couple of reflectors. Softboxes tend to be expensive for what they are, to be honest, they’re well over-priced really for the materials. Once you buy into a brand, you buy into their attachments in general. I’d look at brands such as godox and lencarta as they share a common fixing (S-fit) so most manufacturers attachments will fit. I went for elinchrom, which is a unique attachment to them. I started with their 2 head kit (d lites) and added a 3rd later (rarely if ever use) and have upgraded the soft boxes to their extortionately priced Rotalux soft boxes, but bought them gradually and will last me for life. Truth be told I favour a couple. The one here is a 100cm square which I bought secondhand. I’d certainly keep an eye on classifieds and look to buy a small setup.
I have the flash centres background stand and a load of papers I’ve accumulated, though I prefer a few grey colours usually so taste will dictate as to what you wish to achieve.
These are shot on a white paper, but if you don’t light and place the subject far enough away, you get a light grey ( I’ve added a slight texture in post afterwards)
I could add plenty more so maybe start a thread and I’ll chip in. Lighting equipment can work out expensive but you don’t need lots for the basics. You are best to start off small with one light and work from there. Get the basics together and build if that’s the direction you like. Study the type of lighting you like from images and deconstruct how the lighting was setup. There’s plenty online to help you but it’s great fun learning. There’s a great community here to help, keep us posted.

PS. My baby studio pics of my daughter I found tricky though it’s a great time to learn. The best bit at that age is that they don’t run off and play up (other than cry) or need bribing. Very rewarding when it comes together. I’ll post some of my efforts on your thread if you like for pointers.

Last edited:
These are fantastic.. what where your light and camera settings??
Thanks. Usual studio settings really: 1/160, f/10, iso100. It’s all about getting your lighting placed where you want it. I use a light meter initially for speed, to get the power right, but I’m normally in the ball-park with my familiar modifiers and chimping is quick enough. Key light is quick to set up, I normally find fill lights more timely to get right if using them (didn’t here) but start with a typical 2:1 ratio.

Thanks. Usual studio settings really: 1/160, f/10, iso100. It’s all about getting your lighting placed where you want it. I use a light meter initially for speed, to get the power right, but I’m normally in the ball-park with my familiar modifiers and chimping is quick enough. Key light is quick to set up, I normally find fill lights more timely to get right if using them (didn’t here) but start with a typical 2:1 ratio.
Thanks, so just the one main light and reflectors? what focal length are you shooting at?

These are great, and she's a little stunner - which clamp is that on the tripod that's holding the reflector?

These are great, and she's a little stunner - which clamp is that on the tripod that's holding the reflector?
Thanks and sorry for the late reply. It’s the lastolite tri grip clamp, great accessory for a tri grip reflector.

Back