Ansdell sea front

I'm not sure if its a resizing issue or not but they are all looking a little soft to me...I can see what you were going for with the first/third but the boat is for me just too crammed into the corner of frame, and for a composition along these lines you really need to also see what the subject i.e. the boat is looking at, and your still a little too side on to get that PoV

On the second your getting there in fact you could have lost a little from the bottom of frame but that clump of dead stuff detracts if you cannot remove it prior to shooting it really needs to go in PP,

Sorry the say the B&W conversion has left the scene looking really flat..it has sucked the life out of the scene, a boost to contrast would help this but to be honest it's not really a scene that is suiting conversion in the first place..

cheers for the comments. the more i look at them, the more soft they look. i was using my cheap lens as i don't have a decent one for landscapes yet. I've not tried this sort of thing before and will take your comments on board for if i try it again.

cheers for the comments. the more i look at them, the more soft they look. i was using my cheap lens as i don't have a decent one for landscapes yet. I've not tried this sort of thing before and will take your comments on board for if i try it again.

What aperture were you using generally with kit lens they are often there sharpest around f/8 at least this is my experience, though of course this is not a universal truth, do try again though (y)

They struggle to keep my interest if I'm honest. I can see what you are trying to do but I do agree with Matthew regarding the boat being too close into the corner. The problem is that the shot is over 50% sky and it just isn't an interesting sky. On a day with dramatic stormy clouds this could have been far more interesting.

The second one was f 18 and 1/50 sec.
The mono was f 32 which is not going to the sharpest on most lenses and is unlikely to be necessary at all.

For Landscape shots choose the aperture you want for the required Depth of field Using aperture priority is often best along with a tripod as necessary to keep things still. For depth of field control look HERE

Much of this depends on what lens you have but Look at THIS review especially the test results page where playing with the sliders wills how you how it performs at different apertures and focal lengths to see why f32 was not good.

Last edited:
Back