Beginner Ansel Adams landscape

Edit My Images
Yes
Tbh if you're shooting digital your better to shoot raw and fiddle with the colour filtration options in LR digital sensors don't respond the same way that the film used by Adams did.

Are you using film or digital? If digital you have a lot more control using LR (and Nik Silver Efex if you have it) to get the result you want. The filter is a fixed level of colour, using PP you can apply the colour filter effect to whatever level you want.

It is usually said that for digital, Polariser, ND and ND grad filters are the only ones you really need. Film, however, is another story.

And also, if you are planning on using the camera to do the black and white conversion (in which case a red filter might help), don't. You will get a much better black and white conversion doing it yourself. There are plenty of good examples of how to do it online - try YouTube.

Thanks for the info. I'll be using Nikon D800E.
I'll be getting Lee Polariser, The big stopper and ND grads. I do prefer doing things in camera as much as i can

I do prefer doing things in camera as much as i can

Which is fine but digital opens up a whole new world of processing options and colour balance is one of those that most chose to do in PP nowadays.

As said above there are some filter effects that can't be replicated with PP but with the dynamic range in modern cameras (and the ability to bracket very easily if required) means that grads can easily be added afterwards unless it is a very dynamic scene - I sold my Lee filters a few years ago as I simply didn't need them. Nowadays I just use a screw in polarising filter and maybe a ND filter for long exposures.

edit: should have added the obligatory: getting it right is less about kit (especially nowadays) and more about being in the right place at the right time, good technique and patience.

Last edited:
Which is fine but digital opens up a whole new world of processing options and colour balance is one of those that most chose to do in PP nowadays.

As said above there are some filter effects that can't be replicated with PP but with the dynamic range in modern cameras (and the ability to bracket very easily if required) means that grads can easily be added afterwards unless it is a very dynamic scene - I sold my Lee filters a few years ago as I simply didn't need them. Nowadays I just use a screw in polarising filter and maybe a ND filter for long exposures.

edit: should have added the obligatory: getting it right is less about kit (especially nowadays) and more about being in the right place at the right time, good technique and patience.

i've been trying landscape over the last few months and the only time my photos have looked any good is when using a friends filters. Still learning PS and LR

Back