Ansell Adams + An exhibition.

Edit My Images
Yes
Most exhibitions are of the single artist or multiples of them. This one contains just two exhibitors. BUT it relies on one of them for its drawing power.

Bearing that in mind I will start by treating them as separate entities and conclude with an overall view.

The images are laid out in such a way that you start naturally on the 2nd floor and work up, so I will start with the top floor and work down :thinking:.

I will not quote from the catalogue but if you go you will notice 'some' similarity because all I know about Lindsay Robertson is what I saw on the wall and read that day.

Here goes.

The first of LR images are in the entrance hall to the top floor and I was encouraged by them. The angled shots of waves and the shoreline images are obviously created by a man who is technically gifted, the long exposures producing a milkiness and soft movement while the printing brings out detail that moves the eye around the scene.

So far 'so good'.

Into the hall and a number of expletives come into my head. Why?

Some of these prints are huge, really huge both in stature and price.

One large image has the obligatory black sky - Really black. Absolutely black. Bible black. No texture, tonal change from one side to the other, no variance from skyline to top of image. Have I made this clear enough. To my eye one third of the image is 'black'.

The detailing is very good and the subjects (mostly landscapes) have been photographed with a sympathetic touch but little or no (as far as I recall) vision or originality. OK there is no true originality it is pretty much derivation but there should be some semblance in there to differentiate his work from the rest of us.

The images in general do not invite you to stay, rather they shout ‘look at me’ so loudly, I for one wanted nothing more than to leave.
I stayed and continued to look as carefully as I could for some of the connections between LR and AA that I had read about on a poster explaining who LR was.
What was I looking at? Overpowering black and white images of great detail and crispness with an obvious printers hand involved, so involved they took on an etherial quality not born of subtlety, softness or delicacy but of high contrast hammer and fist lighting changes from the digital movie palette .
Light seems to come from nowhere for its own reason to make an almost surreal statement.

I don’t know about you but I cannot help overhearing people who don’t want to be overheard ;-)

One genteel lady to her friend. “You know I’ve got one just like that as a screensaver at home”, followed by giggling.

That was the answer to the question in my head, she was right.

If I am looking at the work of a man steeped in the life and ethos of AA why do I see a digital image?

So would I buy an LR print for £3800 or so? No. Unless I had a space on a wall in a railway station 20/30 feet from the public to fill and only the taxpayers money to waste. Even then I think I would prefer a Toulouse Lautrec poster. More uplifting.

OK Move on.

Since taking to photography as a hobby and then earning my living at it, Ansell Adams (AA) has been thrust upon me as a godlike figure whose work would change how I view the world if only I would believe the hype.

So it was with much trepidation that I faced his work for the first time, almost expecting to be struck by the lightening of his brilliance.

Well I wasn’t, struck that is.

Drawn in, welcomed, consumed, fascinated and deeply impressed yes, but not struck by lightening or any other biblical force. Phew!

From first sight it is obvious that great strength and fortitude was needed to acquire these photographs and that I and many many others out there would not have made it. The images also tell me of our worlds’ despair with the mountain tops visible then being covered by the muck we now breath making a retake impossible even for AA himself.

The images are sometimes breathtaking, sometimes subtle and eerie but to my eye always finished to near perfection.

A simple portrait of a tree has depth behind it that would stump me as to how it was attained. So subtle, could it really be just a small aperture/long exposure and a great lens?

Of course it is - plus seeing it in the first place, knowing what the image would look like, having the dedication and self belief and of course taking the picture to print yourself.

I have to digress again here to explain that I have a real problem with the language/vocabulary used interminably by commentators on AA’s work. It drives me bananas!
AA was not a God, a spirit, an etherial being of gigantic proportions or even noticeably divine as far as I can tell (contradict please if you have observed this divinity in person).

He was, to me, an extremely hard working driven man of great talent who set out to record his worlds beauty the best way he knew how and best of all he succeeded. Rant over.

One image looking down on a snow covered mountainside dotted with thousands of coniferous trees is of such outstanding clarity that it is difficult to think of anything else (wow that is so sharp etc.). The brilliance lies in what appears almost as an afterthought around the edges, beautifully executed sky of gentle graded density, snow with folds bringing a three dimensional appearance to the slope itself.
Magical? no no no not magical, extremely skillful execution and acute observation, oh yes.

The TOTP for me ....... a group of small photographs, mostly vegetation, that were gifts from AA to someone unnamed, printed on what appears to be an old style rag paper much less white than we are used to now.

More than the grander well documented images seen by millions these summed up the AA work ethic perfectly.

The smooth flawless tonal changes and fine focus combine with a supreme pictorial sense of balance moving these beyond anything I have seen before.

Such a simple subject.

One word. Sublime.
It would be pointless to comment on every photograph here so I will conclude with a very few general observations.

I would go to see LR’s work again, if it were on its own. I cannot agree with the premise that his work is in some way connected to AAs in anything but subject and maybe goal. Its relative harshness may reflect more of our world now than it does extend or connect to AA. Unfortunately I think you have gathered that it was not for me. Shame.

On the other hand I am now a full blown admirer of AAs photographic acumen and printing innovation. Damn fine work indeed. If you feel I have understated my appreciation in some way to create a reaction please be assured that this exhibition has moved AA well away from your average artisan in my eyes but not quite to the level of a God.

Fair enough?

Ansell Adams (AA) has been thrust upon me as a godlike figure
he would have been horrified to hear that. He was a concert pianist who - and I quote his own words - "gave up professional music in favour of amateur music and a hobby". He was the most unassuming man I have ever met. During the course I did with him, if one of us had struggled with a concept and finally understood it, he would give a huge grin and remark that now he could sleep easy. It took me a while to realise he meant it.

whose work would change how I view the world if only I would believe the hype.
Hype or not he did change some of the world. More than one US National Park owes its existence to his photography - as do all the plants and animals that live there.

A simple portrait of a tree has depth behind it that would stump me as to how it was attained. So subtle, could it really be just a small aperture/long exposure and a great lens?
Scheimpflug is your friend.

plus seeing it in the first place, knowing what the image would look like, having the dedication and self belief and of course taking the picture to print yourself.
Thats for sure.

Damn fine work indeed. If you feel I have understated my appreciation in some way to create a reaction please be assured that this exhibition has moved AA well away from your average artisan in my eyes but not quite to the level of a God.
Artisan is a word he would have been happy with. God (applied to him) is a word he would have been very unhappy about.

he would have been horrified to hear that. He was a concert pianist who - and I quote his own words - "gave up professional music in favour of amateur music and a hobby". He was the most unassuming man I have ever met. During the course I did with him, if one of us had struggled with a concept and finally understood it, he would give a huge grin and remark that now he could sleep easy. It took me a while to realise he meant it.

Hype or not he did change some of the world. More than one US National Park owes its existence to his photography - as do all the plants and animals that live there.

Scheimpflug is your friend.

Thats for sure.

Artisan is a word he would have been happy with. God (applied to him) is a word he would have been very unhappy about.

I was kind of expecting a remark or two from you John:LOL:

First quote:- I take it then that you agree from your experience with me that he was not divine or godlike? I am well aware of his upbringing and some of the decisions about his life that he made and that is why I have been more than a little irked by the unwarranted glorification of him rather than the excellence of his creations within his 'hobby'.:)
From my little reading and some of his quotes he sounded a well grounded man so I've tried to be careful and not put the 'godlike' in his mouth but in the others who have.
Second:- Once again I have tried to separate the hype from the fact. Of course he was very influential but so have others. It is the language that I object to 'not the man'!
Third :- A simple question that is fair to ask which I hoped had been answered in Quote four.A little tongue in cheek never hurt anyone least of all a man whose humanity/humour are for all to see in his work away from the park. Portraits etc..
Five:-Finally, I hope. I have never applied the word godlike to him directly, only as an illustration of how I do NOT view him.

Sixthly:- In looking at his images, reading and listening to people who have met him (like yourself John) my perception of him is a great photographer, a brilliant printer and a good man.

Fair Enough?

I'm glad you wrote this Sharky, I had thought of going down last week but decided to leave it till I'm on holiday later in March. Now I'm sure I wouldn't miss it for the world.

It was by far and away the best exhibition I've seen with the Ansell Adams work. I really think Lyndsey Roberson is a Tit now after what I saw. 1. your exhibition beside ansell adams, its never gonna match it is it? 2. He tryed to copy some of Ansell Adams work and this is the main reason for my feelings. 3. The hugh prints? I like big prints but they were so big they were not sharp anymore!!!! :shrug: He did have a few nice shots and I liked the contrasty way he printed his images. The worst thing was he was their on the day we were and my class mates were slagging his work off :shake: he never said anything I don't think he heard.

Well it looks to me like you've got the nail squarely on the head there. There is far far too much hype about this godlike snapper, which is such a shame as his work neither deserves such distraction or requires it.

I've always thought he could have been jonathon livingston adams. Just a seagul, that likes to fly. ;)

Fair Enough?
Certainly. I don't disagree with anything you posted, just wanted to add a few words from a slightly different angle.

A little story that may give a better picture of the man. In order to get on one of his courses you had to send in a few prints so that he could judge if you were likely to benefit. They were returned on day one (much better packed than when I sent them, archival grade tissue paper, the whole works) with no comments. On being asked if he had anything to say about our work he said (along the lines of - it was a long time ago) that it must have been a scary experience sending prints to a well known photgrapher and all that was really needed to get on the course was the nerve to submit pictures. He took the view that this showed commitment. He went to say that he had packed the pictures properly for return because they were clearly important to us and, because of that, they were important to him.

His advice about buying kit was illuminating. Work out how much cash you can spare. Spend 10% on a camera and lens, get one good book on technique. Split the rest equally between film and exibition fees (to see other peoples work for inspiration).

Well it looks to me like you've got the nail squarely on the head there. There is far far too much hype about this godlike snapper, which is such a shame as his work neither deserves such distraction or requires it.

I've always thought he could have been jonathon livingston adams. Just a seagul, that likes to fly.

I think it depends on what you are looking for from him, I agree that sometimes his subject matter left a lot to be desired but I think a lot of what you see now would not have been released had he still been alive, the trust set up after his death seems to have it's eye firmly on profit.

What drew me to AA in the first place when I was doing my own printing was his concept of the photograph just being the start of the process, as JohnW has said AA visualised the finished image as it would appear in print and put most of his work into achieving it. There's a book called (I think) "Yosemite and the range of light" which shows what I think he always aimed for, to be able to show 'light' (I'm not putting this across well)

Back