Ant, springtail, caterpillar, woodlouse macros (pic heavy)

Edit My Images
Yes
This is probably the first time I have actively photographed bugs with my macro lens (the 60mm), it's normally being used for droplet stuff, lol. I think I am just about starting to get the hang of lighting. Exif/lighting:

Exif: 1/200 exposure, F9-11, ISO 100.
Lighting: Jessops 360AFD flash on full power, with white gel and a milk bottle diffuser, positioned on top of camera.

C+C very much required please!

Ants:
5547554468_8281c3969b_b.jpg

5546970589_ae54bc7aa5_b.jpg

Springtail (my first ever!)
5547563514_13c60699a3_b.jpg

5547564276_053d7f3961_b.jpg

Cute caterpillar, with crop:
5547587752_e3dd6fb2c2_b.jpg

5547588734_d31c933cab_b.jpg

Woodlouse in reply! (too many images)

Cool shots ash, I can't wait for a nice sunny day to go bug hunting. Would be nice to have some natural light.

The ants are my fave, amazing little creatures.

Have you found any jumping spiders yet? I'm swamped with them where I am.

Cool shots ash, I can't wait for a nice sunny day to go bug hunting. Would be nice to have some natural light.

The ants are my fave, amazing little creatures.

Have you found any jumping spiders yet? I'm swamped with them where I am.

Thanks Rob! I've tried in natural light before and never got good results :thinking:

Here's another ant then, just for you. Nomming on it's mate:

5547545746_7a34241844_b.jpg

No, no jumping spiders yet :( I admit I am struggling to find bugs at all :thumbsdown:

Thanks Rob! I've tried in natural light before and never got good results :thinking:

Here's another ant then, just for you. Nomming on it's mate:

5547545746_7a34241844_b.jpg

No, no jumping spiders yet :( I admit I am struggling to find bugs at all :thumbsdown:

That's mad! Much of a crop on that one?

I can pretty much guarantee finding jumping spiders on any brick wall with sun on it. They all come out to bask in the heat.

That's mad! Much of a crop on that one?

I can pretty much guarantee finding jumping spiders on any brick wall with sun on it. They all come out to bask in the heat.

Haha, erm, it's hard to quantifiy the crop :| The width/height are perhaps 2/3rds that of the original, in the crop?

Hmm, I should have a look when it's sunny then ty! (y)

Amazing photos fella, are you using just the macro on the lens or any other accessories attached? All hand held as well?

Amazing photos fella, are you using just the macro on the lens or any other accessories attached? All hand held as well?

Thanks very much! Yeh just the lens - I think the springtail is about as small as I can get without some other tubes or something.... and yeh, hand-held :)

Nice set :clap::clap:

- I must get out and find some bugs to shoot- only its raining here today:crying:

Les (y)

Smashing shots. The detail is cracking. The caterpillar crop is very impressive!
Shell

You've done really well here. I particularly like the 'ant attack' image. I know how fiddly these shots can be!

Thanks a lot! :) Fiddly and back breaking!

Smashing shots. The detail is cracking. The caterpillar crop is very impressive!
Shell

Thanks! That's not even 100% crop :D

Really nice shots, must get myself a decent macro lens.

Ant shot is my fav, looks like they are retrieving a fallen comrade.

Also thank you! Yeh, the ants were cute :)

Back