Anti reflective coating on glasses

Edit My Images
Yes
Do they affect the appearance of white balance etc when viewing photos and do they really reduce eye fatigue from monitor work?
going to get a single use pair of glasses from Spec savers for £19 with my prescription and they asked if i wanted antiglare caoting
but im thinking if im colour editing it may give a less true appearence with the coating,anyone had any experience with such things?
thanks

They won't affect your perception of colour, if anything they will improve it. By reducing reflections (From the lenses) they increase transmission so you get to see more of what's out there.

Without an AR coating you are likely to get flare and ghost images by looking directly at transmitted light (A monitor), this can cause fatigue.

Anti glare is a must IMO. It makes a huge difference when working on a screen, driving, watching TV etc.

I wouldn’t say it causes any issues with colour. I certainly don’t see any difference whether my glasses are on or not (well other than one it a bit blurry

I have a pair of £19 Specsavers and I don't know if they have anti glare or not .
If it was free then being a Yorkshire man with Scottish ancestors then I would have had it , otherwise no.
But anyway I don't have a glare problem with the glasses with or without a coating.

I have anti glare on my new glasses.
Can't say I see much difference to be honest although it must be doing something.
Only down side for me is when wearing a face covering.
I bought Muc-Off anti fogging spray and this stopped my glasses steaming up - great stuff!!
Now, when I use the spray, the Muc-Off smears and I can't see a thing so back to steamed up glasses.

I have anti glare too- really nice for driving and photography too :)

and £19 for glasses??? I paid £265 for mine and another similar pair different designed frame for 1/2 price from Vision Express

Les :)

Just had a pair with the coating ,for computer use , can’t really see much difference

Interesting how some feel an improvement, I’ve ordered a pair without for now as only £19 but I did ask for the lens to be glass rather than plastic and paid an xtra £15

Interesting how some feel an improvement, I’ve ordered a pair without for now as only £19 but I did ask for the lens to be glass rather than plastic and paid an xtra £15

Glass lenses are more reflective than plastic.
With standard plastic (CR39) you lose 4.0% at each surface. 4.0 % as light hits your lens, then 4.0% of what's left as it leaves the lens and enters your eye. So you get to see about 92% of what's out there.
With standard glass (Optical crown) you lose 4.3% at each surface so you get to see about 91%
"Glass" has a higher refractive index than "plastic" so it refracts more...that means it also reflects more.
Your glass lenses will be thinner than their plastic counterparts (All things being equal) but they will reflect more...you win some you lose some! :)

Oh and your glass lenses will be heavier.

Last edited:
Glass lenses are more reflective than plastic.
With standard plastic (CR39) you lose 4.0% at each surface. 4.0 % as light hits your lens, then 4.0% of what's left as it leaves the lens and enters your eye. So you get to see about 92% of what's out there.
With standard glass (Optical crown) you lose 4.3% at each surface so you get to see about 91%
"Glass" has a higher refractive index than "plastic" so it refracts more...that means it also reflects more.
Your glass lenses will be thinner than their plastic counterparts (All things being equal) but they will reflect more...you win some you lose some! :)

Oh and your glass lenses will be heavier.
Thanks Graham,I will buy a plastic with Antirf as well then I can compare. The price is very reasonable,plus they gave me a voucher for 50% pff next pair

Last edited:
The one thing that put me off coated glasses was the increase in very distracting smudges that seemed to be constantly appearing on the lenses, I seemed to be forever cleaning them to be able to see clearly. Its uncoated for me every-time now.

Every pair of glasses I have had the coatings have scratched away in a year or two. The resulting blurred spot in my vision is much more distracting than any glare so I am tempted to give it a miss next time.

I have anti glare too- really nice for driving and photography too :)

and £19 for glasses??? I paid £265 for mine and another similar pair different designed frame for 1/2 price from Vision Express

Les :)

I can't see how Vision Express stay in business.

I wanted some new glasses so went to my local indy optician for an eye test. They don't have a great range of frames so I went online to Mr Spex. Recorded a short video of myself and then could virtually try on all their range. Ordered 4 pairs of demo Oakleys which arrived in a few days so I could see the comfort of each. Chose my pair, returned all the demos and they made me a lovely pair of titanium Oakleys with all the extras for less than VE would charge.

It took a couple of weeks as opposed to the quoted "about an hour" but very happy with their service - I never had to leave the house :D

The one thing that put me off coated glasses was the increase in very distracting smudges that seemed to be constantly appearing on the lenses, I seemed to be forever cleaning them to be able to see clearly. Its uncoated for me every-time now.

Exactly my experience as well.

Just shows how efficient the coatings are. If you put a thumb print or smear of grease on them they cease to work, put a similar mark on an uncoated lens and you'll hardly see it.
They don't get dirty quicker, they just show the dirt more.

Same with camera lenses.

For the sake of glasses at the sub £50 mark - if the coatings wear off - or something's not right 2 years down the line - you've not done bad :) So once you've bought them - put 50p a week in a jar towards your 'next glasses' fund :) I'm in two minds as to whether there's a perceivable difference or not - or whether it's a bit like the emperor's new clothes scenario - you get told it's good so you believe it. Many - many years ago - I had a friend who worked in an opticians - and he told me (and we're talking a few decades) that coatings were a waste of time - and just a way of increasing profitability on a pair of specs. The important thing when you get new glasses - is - can you see properly through them - if the answer's yes - you're in the right place :)

I've had plastic and glass lenses coated and un-coated over several years. I feel it's a matter of a rock and a hard place when it comes to coated lenses. They definitely do stop glare but are almost impossible to clean effectively. I've tried all the options, micro fibre cloths, wet optical wipes etc.The only really effective solution is running them under a warm tap and using washing up liquid. Coated lenses seem to be dirt magnets. The un-coated glass lenses do not seem to get dirty anywhere near as fast but the downside is suffering from glare, especially while driving at night.

Because of Covid I'm now very much overdue for new glasses and have found being at home using the computers a lot more has had a very detrimental effect on my eyesight. I'ts now decision time, glass or plastic, coated or un-coated, decisions decisions :)

Standard MAR coatings will have no effect on colour perception, if preservation of this is key avoid ‘anti blue light’ coatings as these do have a yellow tint.

It's the same as multicoating on lenses. Trouble is it's often only applied to the front face of the glasses, so if there's light from behind you you tend to get reflections and glare from there. Likewise 'frameless' designs, where you get light leaking in through the side of the lens, causing all sorts of glare and flare. I spent a lot extra for the anti glare on a previous set of frameless glasses, and needn't have bothered! My framed glasses however are a different story, well worth it there.

im picking up my Glass glasses(no coatings) this afternoon,will put my opinion later once ive tested them.

I had to reorder a smaller frame as they coulndt do glass with the larger frame i ordered,not a problem,i just chose a smaller one.

I have ordered bifocals and I am picking them up on Saturday. I have ordered them with anti reflective coating, so I will be able to test this out.

well,i am more suprised than I thought i would be,the glass glasses are definately clearer,when comparing i didnt expect to see the difference i saw,then I noticed my varifocals needed cleaning, that definately helped so i had to do another comparison and yes the glass glasses are definately giving me a cleaner view like they have been super cleaned,less strain (if thats the right word)im seeing more definition for example in a ducks feathers with the glass,slightly more 3d looking.I need to have another look at this.shall finish the post in a bit.
Blimey, the more detail in the photo the more obvious it is,im wondering ifits anything to do with the fact im comparing against varifocals with transition lenses.
What its made me think now is next pair of glasses will be distance and normal sun glasses for uva/b blockage ,im not struck on varifocals much prefer my old distance glasses,feels weird when you move your head a bit and some of the close up bit kicks in, hmmm.
hmmm, these glass glasses have opened my eyes opened my eyes :oops: :$:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Because of Covid I'm now very much overdue for new glasses and have found being at home using the computers a lot more has had a very detrimental effect on my eyesight. I'ts now decision time, glass or plastic, coated or un-coated, decisions decisions :)

I had my new glasses appointment at Vision Express 5 weeks back and have 2 new pairs now- Covid didnt stop me going and they are open as are Specsavers Boots etc etc :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this thread I have just ordered a cheap pair of glasses online without coating to see what it's like. If I don't notice any issues then I will go with that option next time I get a decent pair.
Had my order cancelled because my prescription was too old.
Went to specsavers for an eye test and got talked into keeping with an anti-glare coating as I spend 8+ hours a day in front of the computer so have anew decent set of glasses on the way. Good news is that I have reached the tipping point in life where my shortsightedness starts to improve, though everything else is downhill from now on. :LOL:

I have varifocal, Photochromic and anti-glare but they cost over £300. As my eyes have changed over the years and my distant and mid vision has moved back towards neutral so I do not even need to use them for driving, computer etc. I do still need reading glasses.

Dave

Good news is that I have reached the tipping point in life where my shortsightedness starts to improve, though everything else is downhill from now on. :LOL:

This is what happened to me. However, I was warned that the short sightedness will move back through neutral to long sighted. While I was told that I no longer need my glasses to drive, I may prefer to still wear them, which I do. Firstly, they are a useful set of sun glasses and if I need to look at something close (e.g. Menu in a restaurant) I can do so as they are varifocal. The implication was that with in a couple of years or so, I will need to wear them for all distances again so may as well get used to it. I do sometimes take them off when driving or playing tennis though not when sunny.

Dave

I'm just going to say... Varifocal contact lenses.....

Seem like science fiction but work like magic.

For some. They gave me a terrible headache and made me feel sick.

Back