anti scan print finishes?

Any textured surface will have a detrimental effect on the scanned print. However how significant this quality loss will be depends on your quality criteria.

Tests I did years ago using textured papers seemed to show that whilst the quality wasn't superb. provided you didn't want a large print from the scan (1:1 for example ) the image quality was " acceptable".

I assume you're trying to prevent people scanning your images without permission? As John said, a textured finish will impact the result, but I doubt if it will really act as a major deterrent. I've heard of people who have scanned an image, complete with the notice of copyright and even the watermark!

I think you just have to face facts. Most people have access to scanners now, and will find a way to copy the image if they really want to. You could just take a photograph of it too. I did this with old family photographs, back in the film days.

Any textured surface is a good idea if you don't want your images scanning. It won't stop people scanning them, but it will seriously impact quality. A lot of the old images i get brought to me for restoration are old textured prints and they're a pig to scan at any decent quality, as well as to work on.

Kodak had Y surface - which fell out of favour in the UK but is still popular in Europe is a nightmare to scan.... In the USA some labs offer a texturising service which puts a canvas type texture which again is had to scan...

Thanks everyone. I know I won't stop anyone that is determined to scan photos, just hoping to deter a few as my print prices are so cheap anyway. Hoping that if they see a bit of quality loss they'll come back and buy them from me.

Or am I just being too optimistic?

I visited your site and was intrigued by the Lound & Flashy name...I now understand why...

When i was younger i tried scanning a £10 note- it came up with a ' you do not have permission to scan this you silly silly boy' message. It would be good if you could incorporate a tiny £10 note into you watermark so it would show an error message on your scanner :geek:

Coley

When i was younger i tried scanning a £10 note- it came up with a ' you do not have permission to scan this you silly silly boy' message. It would be good if you could incorporate a tiny £10 note into you watermark so it would show an error message on your scanner :geek:

Coley

yes but how would he get that £10 note as part of his watermark without scanning it :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wonder if anyone does some kind of transparent overlay that is transparent from some angles but isn't so when scanned?

the part of a banknote that stops you scanning it is the 'Eurion' constellation marks on it - its a series if tiny little circles found on most banknotes and is recognised by scanner software to stop them being scanned - google images for Eurion

Also known as Orion constellation

Should be easy to incorporate into an image - see image below.

150px-EURion_svg.png

Hmm - time for an avatar change:D

Last edited:
going to have to try a scan one now lol

the part of a banknote that stops you scanning it is the 'Eurion' constellation marks on it - its a series if tiny little circles found on most banknotes and is recognised by scanner software to stop them being scanned - google images for Eurion

150px-EURion_svg.png

150px-EURion_svg.png

Interesting :thinking: I printed out the Orion constellation onto a piece of a4. It scanned immediately, so perhaps it was just too big. Then i got a £20 note and covered up most of it only leaving the little dots visible- again, scanned straight away. To confirm notes wouldnt scan i then tried a full note :police: no they wont scan :help:

It would be good to try and get to the bottom of this. If i could somehow incorporate the Orion constellation in the corner of my pics, to most people they wouldnt know why they couldnt simply scan the photo.

Coley

did a straight copy of a £10 note so it would not stop a photo being scanned and printed.

I used a canon mp 620

Interesting :thinking: I printed out the Orion constellation onto a piece of a4. It scanned immediately, so perhaps it was just too big. Then i got a £20 note and covered up most of it only leaving the little dots visible- again, scanned straight away. To confirm notes wouldnt scan i then tried a full note :police: no they wont scan :help:

It would be good to try and get to the bottom of this. If i could somehow incorporate the Orion constellation in the corner of my pics, to most people they wouldnt know why they couldnt simply scan the photo.

Coley

Back