Anti virus Question

they need an open port

If your computer is using the internet then you have an open port

I do have a firewall so nagh nagh

And? means nothing if its already found a way onto your system.

Having an antivirus & firewall on your computer means nothing if the end use does not operate good/safe browsing habits

Most computer infections are caused by a human interface error

Last edited:
what is? they need an open port.. I have checked for open ports and I do have a firewall so nagh nagh
ROFLMAO

Yes 15 years ago that may have been the case, times change and many more sophisticated methods are possible...Besides you are posting on here aren't you ;)

Interestingly, if you ask security experts, antivirus is not on the list of the top 5 things you should do to keep safe online.

Beutler_Google_Security-practices-v6.png

Source

Sounds like the top 5 'easy' things to do. :/

There are 2 ways to look at this (for home user) :

A lot of people (not just on here) say I used "xyz" software for AV and never had a problem and therefore they will recommend it.

That doesn't automatically mean the software is good - it just could mean you haven't encountered a problem. Could it also mean the software is doing its job in the background and you never get to see what it blocked - possibly but usually you tend to get a message pop up on the screen if it found something.

I have used plenty of different AV (free and paid) software in the past - I found that McAfee and Norton do put a lot of strain on system resources and the "PC Tune Up/Registry Cleaner/Internet Booster" can also makes things worse and tends be a waste of time and not worth paying the extra for it.

As an example, we use Sophos at our workplace on 6000+ PC, Linux & Macs (yes I know - dont ask) - and yes it does not capture everything out there - I have also found that the free Microsoft Security Essentials has captured things that Sophos missed (and also the other way round). Does that make sophos bad? No. Most engine / DAT updates take place between manufactures seem to level out with 24/48 hours of each other.

Malware and browser hijack also seems to most common problem these days and MalwareBytes seems to do a pretty good job on removing them. Only just recently I was working on a PC and uninstalling some malware, and during the uninstall (if you dont read the small print or choose custom uninstall and untick the boxes) it actually installs other software on the PC during the uninstall process. So you end up in forever loop.

The top free ones tend be AVG, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials - there are other free ones out there - personally I wouldn't pay for AV software unless you really need the tech support to go with it (probably worth it if you are not that computer tecchy) - the detection engine on the free software is exactly the same as the paid version - although this may vary with certain addons like heuristics, buffer overflow etc.. it should detect the same as the paid version.

Always make sure which ever AV you use - it is up-to-date as well as your windows & adobe updates and browser update (Chrome/Firefox & Safari) - disable any browser toolbars and 3rd party extensions.(unless they are really required).

Sounds like the top 5 'easy' things to do. :/
It's interesting because of what they focus on - securing their identity and ensuring that passwords aren't shared.

Whereas non-experts focus on securing their computers, which will do you absolutely no good whatsoever when someone compromises your accounts because they used your Facebook and other available information to answer your security questions. I know someone who got their identity compromised and the only computer they ever used was an iPad!

Personally, I think the time spent installing AV software would be better spent ensuring that you've got two-factor authentication set up absolutely everywhere that supports it.

http://lifehacker.com/5938565/heres-everywhere-you-should-enable-two-factor-authentication-right-now

Protip: never, ever run a "registry cleaner". Your registry doesn't need cleaning. It's a small, memory-resident database that you don't ever need to touch. (If you don't know what that means, you don't know enough to be futzing around with the registry)

I'd caution against taking that list of five things as the definitive five most important things you must do. Granted, you should still do them, but don't think just because you do those five things you will be invulnerable to any exploits. It's not an exhaustive list.

The only one that gives me any concern is 5, "Use a password manager". I used Keepass2 because I store the database on my server, backup daily to an encrypted USB stick. I only access it via VPN from trusted devices. Why? Well the likes of Lastpass have been subject to security breaches - they are honeypots to hackers after credentials. Not only that, but the last time I did any research the mobile apps were hopelessly insecure.

My recommendations thus:

1. Patch, patch, patch
2. Use strong and unique passwords for all your important websites, email accounts etc. (..the ones where you store precious personal information or payment details)
3. Use a secured password manager with a locally stored and backed up database.
4. Perform regular backups of your important data
5. Protect your home network with a quality firewall (need not be expensive) - SOHO and consumer modem/routers are too easily exploited
6. Take care with your personal data
7. Take care with mobile 'Apps' and bundled software. Check carefully the permissions they are requesting when installing them. If an app is not essential, I'll tend not to install it.
8. Use a strong key for your home wi-fi network
9. Offer a guest wi-fi network in your home, with limited/no access to your own home network
10. Use Public Wi-Fi with caution - if possible, don't use it all. If you must, ensure non-essential ports are firewalled and use VPN..........................................................
11. Use a quality anti-virus product

AVG for me in the past always just used the free one, never had a problem, no need now as I have an mac

Back