Anti Virus.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
It's that time of year again to renew my AV (tomorrow). I currently use SpyBot, Search and Destroy (paid version) and I do find it very good and idiot proof as I'm not hugely computer savvy.

My PC has become a bit slow and clunky lately though, I keep a tight ship, with orderly folders etc and I hardly download anything from the web. My PC Updates, defrags automatically, my AV is constantly running, I run Cookie Cleaner every week, minimum shortcuts on my desktop, that kind of thing. My PC isn't painfully slow but not as fast as it once was. Sometimes on start up, I get prompted to 'Activate Windows' and have to go to PC Settings to start my PC. I close the PC Settings window without activating Windows and I can use my PC as normal. It will sometimes start in Safe Mode but once I put my password in on the start up page, it returns to normal. I'm using 8.1 (64 bit), I didn't update to Windows 10 when I could have got it for free and by all accounts, I'm glad I didn't. 8.1 does what I want.

I'm just wondering if I've picked something up somewhere, which would be odd as I'm the only one that uses this PC and I know what's been downloaded and what sites I've been too. So has anyone got any recommendations for AV software? Spybot seems really good and it's very well priced but I can't help feel it has missed something.

TIA. :)(y)

Last edited:
Malwarebytes Free, CCleaner Free & Avast Free suits me. :)

I gave up with avast on my old laptop W8.1, took ages to boot and stopped me using defender, still can't get it to work
I now use Panda, but then I don't often use the laptop for anything other then printing and editing
On the W10 I use Defender, never had a problem

Why pay when you already have a free anti malware and AV program - Windows Defender?

Because that's not enough.
Some malware can slip passed it.

Spybot S&D is very good but it can miss some malware.
Use the free versions of malwarebytes and cc cleaner.
If they find the computer is clean, make sure the temp directory is empty.
You said it defags automatically, how often is this and I presume it's a hard disk drive rather than a SSD?

It's that time of year again to renew my AV (tomorrow). I currently use SpyBot, Search and Destroy (paid version) and I do find it very good and idiot proof as I'm not hugely computer savvy.

My PC has become a bit slow and clunky lately though, I keep a tight ship, with orderly folders etc and I hardly download anything from the web. My PC Updates, defrags automatically, my AV is constantly running, I run Cookie Cleaner every week, minimum shortcuts on my desktop, that kind of thing. My PC isn't painfully slow but not as fast as it once was. Sometimes on start up, I get prompted to 'Activate Windows' and have to go to PC Settings to start my PC. I close the PC Settings window without activating Windows and I can use my PC as normal. It will sometimes start in Safe Mode but once I put my password in on the start up page, it returns to normal. I'm using 8.1 (64 bit), I didn't update to Windows 10 when I could have got it for free and by all accounts, I'm glad I didn't. 8.1 does what I want.

I'm just wondering if I've picked something up somewhere, which would be odd as I'm the only one that uses this PC and I know what's been downloaded and what sites I've been too. So has anyone got any recommendations for AV software? Spybot seems really good and it's very well priced but I can't help feel it has missed something.

TIA. :)(y)

That's great that you're thinking about keeping a tight software ship, but depending on how old your computer is, you should think about running a tight hardware ship.

A lot of people always assume that it is the software, junk files, installing and uninstalling software, viruses, and all that, that can cause the computer to go slow. Of course, the software is always the main reason, the majority of the problems are always software-related.

But sometimes there is the case of hardware-related problems, specially dust. Dust is the computer's worst enemy, fans suck air in to try to keep the hardware cool, and blow out wasted heat, but result in collecting dust that builds up inside the computer.

In addition to trying to keep my software going smooth by running a tight ship, I also regularly spring clean the inside of the computer once every year.

My mother once had a 10 years old computer running on Windows XP and was slowing down too much. I cleaned the inside of the computer as best as I could, then my mother finds the computer running a little better and was pleased.

Spybot S&D is very good but it can miss some malware.
Use the free versions of malwarebytes and cc cleaner.
If they find the computer is clean, make sure the temp directory is empty.
You said it defags automatically, how often is this and I presume it's a hard disk drive rather than a SSD?

If I'm honest, I'm not sure on the defrag frequebcy but it is a default setting from new, I believe it's montlhy but I will check. Yes HDD.

That's great that you're thinking about keeping a tight software ship, but depending on how old your computer is, you should think about running a tight hardware ship.

A lot of people always assume that it is the software, junk files, installing and uninstalling software, viruses, and all that, that can cause the computer to go slow. Of course, the software is always the main reason, the majority of the problems are always software-related.

But sometimes there is the case of hardware-related problems, specially dust. Dust is the computer's worst enemy, fans suck air in to try to keep the hardware cool, and blow out wasted heat, but result in collecting dust that builds up inside the computer.

In addition to trying to keep my software going smooth by running a tight ship, I also regularly spring clean the inside of the computer once every year.

My mother once had a 10 years old computer running on Windows XP and was slowing down too much. I cleaned the inside of the computer as best as I could, then my mother finds the computer running a little better and was pleased.

Exactly this, mine is cleaned every few months but I did leave it lapse recently. It has been cleaned during the last 6 months though.

Interesting- what is the safest method for cleaning the inside of a PC ?

Why pay when you already have a free anti malware and AV program - Windows Defender?
This should be enough unless perhaps it's a family PC with multiple users.
I've used nothing else for a good ten years without incident, on Windows 10 it has improved quite a bit compared to earlier version.
You can have free version of malwarebytes alongside to do a manual scan if at all worried by something

Interesting- what is the safest method for cleaning the inside of a PC ?
I use a vacuum cleaner ('Henry' type) with its hose plugged in to the 'blow' port rather than the 'suck' port - this is enough to dislodge pretty much all dust including from behind and under things and from between cooler heatsink fins. Just bear in mind the danger of static and don't touch anything ...
... (Windows Defender) has improved quite a bit compared to earlier version.
You can have free version of malwarebytes alongside to do a manual scan if at all worried by something
That's me too.

Last edited:
People do swear by Windows Defender nowadays. I agree you'll need more, but it's a good base "catch-all".

I advise my customers to just use Defender in win 10. No guarantees but I clear the same malware from machines running defender as I do on those running £50 a year AV.

If you use internet banking check if your bank advises IBMs Trusteer Rapport. If they do they will link to a download somewhere on their site. (The version differs from bank to bank.) This gives secure endpoint protection when visiting other trusteer sites.

I recommend Mawarebytes as well.
ADW cleaner is specifically targeted at adware and is now part of the Mawarebytes family. It also resets your i/p settings as part of the clean (reboot) process.
For really stubborn malware you may need Hitman Pro. You can scan and clean once without subscription.
TDSS remover is a good rootkit scanner/cleaner, free from Kaspersky.
Finally try superantispyware. A good general cleaner.

Malware cleaners are like antibiotics. They all do basically the same job but some are better at specific infections than others.
Unless you are a full time graphic designer dont bother with defrag. It can go badly wrong and you will never notice the couple of milliseconds you save.

I've run my own home visit pc repair business for the last 12 years. If anybody has a particular issue/infection let me know and I will try to help.

Last edited:
I use a vacuum cleaner ('Henry' type) with its hose plugged in to the 'blow' port rather than the 'suck' port - this is enough to dislodge pretty much all dust including from behind and under things and from between cooler heatsink fins. Just bear in mind the danger of static and don't touch anything ...

That's me too.

You're a braver man than me Droj! ;) I would never approach a pc with a vacuum cleaner. One touch of that nylon nozzle and the static will wreek havoc. I know you're aware but I wouldnt risk it.
I give the case fans and cpu fan and cooling block a gentle brush with a bristle paint brush (NOT nylon) to loosen dust. Then I take the whole unit outside and clean it with a canned air duster. Dont forget to do the power supply fan as well.

On laptops you can use an air duster on the exhaust vent, (laptop switched off) you should hear the fan whizzing round. Also bear in mind most laptops take air in through vents underneath. Put it flat on a hard surface. Too many people use them on cushions or put a cloth under them when on a table.
You're right thought, in any pc heat is your enemy.

Last edited:
If you use internet banking check if your bank advises IBMs Trusteer Rapport. If they do they will link to a download somewhere on their site. (The version differs from bank to bank.) This gives secure endpoint protection when visiting other trusteer sites.

Strange you should say that, my bank recommended it, in fact I still get a pop up every time I log in
I had no end of problems after I installed and was convinced I had picked up a virus of something but any scans
I did showed nothing, I later found out that it was Trusteer causing it, seems it's a common problem

Strange you should say that, my bank recommended it, in fact I still get a pop up every time I log in
I had no end of problems after I installed and was convinced I had picked up a virus of something but any scans
I did showed nothing, I later found out that it was Trusteer causing it, seems it's a common problem

Yep, total pain in the backside!

I give the case fans and cpu fan and cooling block a gentle brush with a bristle paint brush (NOT nylon) to loosen dust.
Same here, but with the vacuum held just outside the case; airflow takes the freed up floating dust, and a judicious brush flick sends the bunnies to their doom.
I've found several laptops required dismantling to properly clean, due to the small rug they'd grown under the mobo from being shuffled around on fluffy surfaces. An air duster through the centrifugal fan just wasn't going to touch it. :(

It can be a bit flaky especially with updates. It has a repair option if you try to uninstall it. This usually sorts it.

Same here, but with the vacuum held just outside the case; airflow takes the freed up floating dust, and a judicious brush flick sends the bunnies to their doom.
I've found several laptops required dismantling to properly clean, due to the small rug they'd grown under the mobo from being shuffled around on fluffy surfaces. An air duster through the centrifugal fan just wasn't going to touch it. :(

I've had a few of them but none since smoking went out of fashion.
You can sometimes clear the plug by putting your mouth over the exhaust slot and giving a big blow. Be prepared for all the crud coming out the bottom vent and down your shirt though. ;)

The carpet lappies had outgrown that option. The grey mat sitting in the bottom of the case was big enough to go PTHTHUPP when the vacuum got it.
Squares of old tights taped over the inside of the vent grills keep the bulk of the fluff buildup visible from the outside, keeping it away from the heatsink, so the owner can safely vacuum it off with a brushless nozzle.

The carpet lappies had outgrown that option. The grey mat sitting in the bottom of the case was big enough to go PTHTHUPP when the vacuum got it.
Squares of old tights taped over the inside of the vent grills keep the bulk of the fluff buildup visible from the outside, keeping it away from the heatsink, so the owner can safely vacuum it off with a brushless nozzle.

Blimey, never seen one that bad. I've lead a sheltered life!

IIRC one was a Samsung. Vents were on the other end of the case from the fan, presumably to allow airflow to cover the whole board. Unfortunately, it meant fluff got to take the scenic route to the exit, and never made it.

IIRC one was a Samsung. Vents were on the other end of the case from the fan, presumably to allow airflow to cover the whole board. Unfortunately, it meant fluff got to take the scenic route to the exit, and never made it.

It was never going to with a knobbly underside of motherboard with an electrical charge going through it dragging it back.
Thats up there with intel using plastic for the posts clamping the cooling block to the cpu/mb. Plastic that goes brittle with heat. When they've snapped I've had to clamp a couple of those down with cable ties!

Do you remember the little plastic lugs on the skt 370 and older zif sockets? :facepalm:
Not a problem when you could cool the CPU with a heatsink/fan the size of a custard cream, but the big, hot Athlons and PIIIs cooked the sockets, and sometimes just putting a system down on a table too hard would snap the lugs due to heatsink weight. New mobo time. :( Seen loads that came back having been killed by the couriers.

The P4 skt 423 also had them, but they weren't used any more, and they were gone from 478.

Yep. Bit of a problem if it needs cleaning out as your scared of touching the thing and the lug snapping. Araldite putty, cable ties and a dollop of thermal paste can get you out of trouble.

The araldite putty is handy to repair the snapped plastic spring behind old power buttons as well.
Sounds like a bodge but customers happy to have old units life extended rather than economic write-off.

We use Bit defender. Works a treat. 1 subscription works great for several phones, a few workstations and a laptop

Back