Antibiotics

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok im gonna have a little rant.

I would really like to know what this countries obsession with antibiotics is. The GP tells them its a viral infection and that the body will get better on its own but know they think they need antibotics so they go to accident and emergency to be told its viral antibiotics wont help. Then they go home and complain about the level of care given by the NHS. :bang::bang:

The bacteria in your body is needed and is helpful when your sick if you take antibiotics when you have a viral illness your likely to get worse because you will no longer have the natural bacteria in your body to help keep you healthy.

MRSA was not caused by poor hygine in hospitals. It was caused by people not finishing there perscibed antibiotics or by people having them when they are not needed and these kind of infections are on the increase.

So why do some doctors give in and perscirbe antibiotics for no reason other than to keep the patient happy and why do patients insist on having antibiotics for viral illness??? :shrug:

Ok rant over thanks for listening er reading

Because they boost your body's ability to fight infection rather than directly fighting them through your bloodstream. And no, the more we take doesn't affect our body's ability at all. Our immune system may drop causing more infection and illness but it wouldn't reduce it.

I never take drugs when I'm ill, I just see it out naturally

Have to agree. The human race is turning into a bunch of fannies (softies, not any other meaning). We look for medication for the slightest thing. As you say, our bodies need bacteria and it's own antibodies to work efficiently. No wonder people are getting colds and infections at the drop of a hat because we won't let out systems do what they are designed for.

We had a saying when I was young. You'll eat a ton of s**te before you die. Its because we are not doing this anymore our resistance is being lowered.

Sorry went on a bit there:bonk::bonk:

ER antibiotics don't boost the bodies ability to fight illness they kill bacteria in much the same way antibacterial kitchen cleaner does. And yes the more you take the more problems you will have with resistance therefore you will need stronger antibiotics in the future. Although i get the feeling your pulling my leg or i have miss understood you, but then it is 3am.

Have to agree. The human race is turning into a bunch of fannies (softies, not any other meaning). We look for medication for the slightest thing. As you say, our bodies need bacteria and it's own antibodies to work efficiently. No wonder people are getting colds and infections at the drop of a hat because we won't let out systems do what they are designed for.

We had a saying when I was young. You'll eat a ton of s**te before you die. Its because we are not doing this anymore our resistance is being lowered.

Sorry went on a bit there:bonk::bonk:

I agree and it goes back to the whole nanny state thing in the other thread.

The thing that annoys me most is the fact the cure for the common cold has been cracked yet it won't be released due to most "cough & cold" manufacturers going under. We live in a world of business, And there's no natural way of life that exists anymore.

Imagine if you went to the forest to chop wood for the fire. You'd get a £200 fine and 10 hours community service.

The thing that annoys me most is the fact the cure for the common cold has been cracked yet it won't be released due to most "cough & cold" manufacturers going under. We live in a world of business, And there's no natural way of life that exists anymore.

Imagine if you went to the forest to chop wood for the fire. You'd get a £200 fine and 10 hours community service.

Well even if it was released the nhs wouldn't pay for it.

I try not to go to the doctors, prefer riding it out myself (and moaning along the way of course...I'm a man...what else? :D)

It's not just antibiotics, we're turning into a nation of clean freaks too. Anti-bacterial this, anti-bacterial that.
I know parents who cringe at the thought of their kids getting in the slightest bit dirty. Me? I let mine get filthy when theyre young...KIDS NEED GERMS!
There are some people in this world who have actually NO immune system at all. Is that the road we want to head down?

We're a spectactular species (evolutionary), we've survived this long, why do we need to be so insistent on medicine to carry on?
Sure, I'm all for modern medicine to cure things that can't be cured otherwise, BUT things like antibiotics I try to only take when I REALLY need to.
I had flu the other week (started off as flu, ended up as manflu), and eventually I got a chest infection, and being an asthmatic I could have easily gone to the doctors and gotten antibiotics for it, but I chose to ride it out and it's pretty much gone now......Luckily Im a stay at home dad so I didn't have work to consider, but still.....

I was asked by work this morning if I had been to see a doctor but I thought, what's the point? I've lost my voice completely, my Mum's been round to see me (she's a nurse) and her prescription was, plenty of fluids and gargle with salt water.

Same when I get earache - drop of warm olive oil in the ear does wonders

I have found that doctors rarely prescribe antibiotics now, I have had a couple of things the doc has said along the lines of "there is no point giving you medication, as it will clear up by itself over time". If I had argued that I needed to back at work ASAP then maybe they would have.

I believe that If the body can cope with what ever illness one has contracted then there is no need what so ever for medication / antibiotics. People that are exposed to outside bacteria more often will find themselfs with immune systems that are more efficient and more adept at handling illnesses the body has not yet come into contact with (of course unless extreme). Remember also, that antibiotics sometimes also kill the bodies own bacterias etc leaving you open to attack from other sources.

Bottom line is, if you are ill and the body can cope with it without external help, then do exactly that, defeat the illness on your own.

I have found that doctors rarely prescribe antibiotics now, I have had a couple of things the doc has said along the lines of "there is no point giving you medication, as it will clear up by itself over time". If I had argued that I needed to back at work ASAP then maybe they would have.

And thats the point JL if u need antibiotics it wont get better on its own. Bacterial infections can kill only recently an american kid died of a dental abcess.

I believe that If the body can cope with what ever illness one has contracted then there is no need what so ever for medication / antibiotics. People that are exposed to outside bacteria more often will find themselfs with immune systems that are more efficient and more adept at handling illnesses the body has not yet come into contact with (of course unless extreme). Remember also, that antibiotics sometimes also kill the bodies own bacterias etc leaving you open to attack from other sources.

Bottom line is, if you are ill and the body can cope with it without external help, then do exactly that, defeat the illness on your own.

Exactly

if you eat a ton of s**te before you die, i,d go to a different kebeb shop.
tend to agree that the current epidemic of anti bacterial cleanersetc is probably stopping the kids from building up immunities.
i always thought that anti b,s didnt do much for viral infections.

With the way that allergies have become an epidemic it should show that all this anti-biotic stuff is not health when used for everything.

I'm with you Marcel let 'em get dirty!

My uncle contracted MRSA twice in the same hospital suffering while with throat cancer.

Just how does that fit in with your post?

He had his voice box removed and was nil by mouth for weeks before he died, was it the nursing staff who stopped giving his medication?

I know your in the trade as it were toothie, but over the visits I routinely witnessed nurses going from bed to bed without washing their hands and then touching dressings, the ward was often dirty while staff stood round the station drinking coffee.

I know there is good and bad in every trade, but please don't blame the sick for it all.

My uncle contracted MRSA twice in the same hospital suffering while with throat cancer.

He had his voice box removed and was nil by mouth for weeks before he died, was it the nursing staff who stopped giving his medication?

I know your in the trade as it were toothie, but over the visits I routinely witnessed nurses going from bed to bed without washing their hands and then touching dressings, the ward was often dirty while staff stood round the station drinking coffee.

I know there is good and bad in every trade, but please don't blame the sick for it all.

Sympathies DF
Similar story, My father-in-law died last christmas, after being in hospital for pneumonia, every time we asked it was, "He's getting on OK we just need to shift this secondry infection", MRSA was never mentioned but when we did the last "mercy dash" ( 50 miles) away, and arrived too late we were given (in silence I might add) a leaflet on MRSA
The cause of death recorded " heart failure" Well yes I guess that would do it!
He had a pacemaker fitted years before
Was that a digital failure I wonder :shrug:
Sorry bad joke, but we were never the best of buddies

MRSA doesn't make it on to the death cert iirc
they always find something less attention grabbing.

MRSA doesn't make it on to the death cert iirc
they always find something less attention grabbing.

I think more likely, that if every death attributed to MRSA were recorded as the "main cause" then there would be a lot of lawsuits and general anger. I think a lot of us must know at least one person that has gone into hospital and contracted MRSA or "secondary infection" as it is "affectionately" known, thankfully many survive but a lot don't :(

Firstly im sorry to here about your uncle.

I am not saying that hospitals are clean or that nurse always was there hands. There not and they dont. To a large extent the medical care in this country is shocking and we are lacking in the most basic of areas. Such as hygiene, local services, access to specilists to name but a few. ( and trust me i could go on for hours)

And yes MRSA is SPREAD by poor hygiene but its cause in the first palce was a mostly harmless bug that got resistant to antibiotics due to over use.

Yes there are times when people are sick and need antibiotics (not to mention other types of care) and i regonsie this and they should recieve them when required.

My point was really that people walk into a&e with coughs and colds and expect us to wave a magic wond to make them better and when we cant do that they request antibiotics. Its the same princepil as crushes for twisted ankles (which actualy get better if you walk on them).

The truth is the nhs has limited resources and much of it is wasted on the misuse of services. This then results in a lack of resources where they are really needed - such as cancer care.

For example. If u have manflu and go and see your gp it cost the nhs £35 If you go to accident and emergency with the same manful it costs your GP £55. If u tell the a&e nurse you have a temp and she confims this with a thermomator it will cost your GP £78. This is jsut the cost to your GP and does not factor in the cost to the hospital for the said thermomotor. Its a crazy system and its not working and for those of us on the front line its fustrating.
I hate the fact that most of my job consists of reasuring well ppl at a huge cost to the nhs and not haveing the facilites or equipment to properly treat the peope who really need it.

I dont blame the patients and im happy to reaasure anyone who wants it what irritatates me si the fact i know other patietns suffer as a result.

I think more likely, that if every death attributed to MRSA were recorded as the "main cause" then there would be a lot of lawsuits and general anger. I think a lot of us must know at least one person that has gone into hospital and contracted MRSA or "secondary infection" as it is "affectionately" known, thankfully many survive but a lot don't :(

Chris your so right on that front, and its so easy because the MRSA doesnt kill you it casues the thing such as heart failer that does. it sucks and its all politics:(

The best way to avoid all this is to live and eat healthy.

Short answer would be to avoid anything and everything that is "cool", convenient or otherwise popular.

Can of worms, I know, but decent immunity goes way beyond antibiotics or not.

:bonk:(y)

Back